Your Holy Grail

I found mine about 2 months ago. My 64 WMP 3 ply Ludwigs. 22 , 13 , 16. I've sold everything else. These will do me till I quit playing.

I suppose I should chip in with my own.

I was looking for a long time for a Nashville era Slingerland Radio King, and to be honest I didn't ever think I'd see one pop up for sale. Then low and behold late one Saturday night I had my usual look at the Graham Russell Drums site here in the UK, and there was one for sale in White Marine Pearl. I immediately bought it and when it arrived I couldn't believe how good it looked. It honestly looked like it had never been played. It also sounds absolutely amazing!

1964 Rogers Dyna-Sonic 5x14 in Wine Red Ripple
1966 Rogers Dyna-Sonic 5x14 in Sparkling Blue Pearl and Steel Gray Ripple

three drums..... which would cost close to 10K total at current values.

Even if I did find those for sale or even one of them, I still could not afford that.

I consider the 1920's 14x4 Black Beauty's to be the Holy Grail, or one of them, in the Drumming world.
But like most people, the Holy Grail is not on the top of my to-get lists :)

However, if I can find pointy B/O badge 14x5 & 14x6.5, and COB 14x5 Supras.. in a great playing condition.. for a decent price. I would be a very happy man.

Last edited:
1964 Rogers Dyna-Sonic 5x14 in Wine Red Ripple
1966 Rogers Dyna-Sonic 5x14 in Sparkling Blue Pearl and Steel Gray Ripple

three drums..... which would cost close to 10K total at current values.

Even if I did find those for sale or even one of them, I still could not afford that.

I agree with this 100% ....exactly what I was thinking when I first started reading this thread.

A Nirvana era Tama Granstar/Artstar played by Dave himself. I'd give up testical(s) for it!
A friend of mine has THE Ayotte kit William Goldsmith played in the Foo Fighters and Sunny Day. He lives in Seattle though and I have yet to touch it.

The black Ayotte from Bennett's? Nice.

William also traded him the Heart Shaped Box snare drum with the heads used in the studio still on. I got to play that one once...

I have some wonderful snares that I enjoy playing and owning, but my "holy grail" would probably be an original Billy Gladstone snare drum. If I could ever find one and afford it!

I love too many drum items to have a holy grail, but the closest thing would probably have to by my Recording Custom. I've wanted that piece of gear for many years before I got one, and the only other sets I'd consider would be a Kumu or possibly a Beech SQ2. But none of them could really replace what the RC is to me.

I'm not necessarily trying to track one down because I know it would be way out of range for me, but I would consider a 1964 Ludwig Downbeat in Oyster Black Pearl to be the ultimate Holy Grail kit, especially if it were a NOS kit that someone unearthed in the attic of an old music store.

I found mine about 2 months ago. My 64 WMP 3 ply Ludwigs. 22 , 13 , 16. I've sold everything else. These will do me till I quit playing.

Amazing! I found one of my grails ridiculously cheap on Craigslist six months ago. It just happened to be a 64 BDP 3 ply Ludwig Downbeat, unaltered, 100% complete, Supraphonic, all hardware, original heads, and as close to mint (after cleaning) as I have ever seen.

Holy Grail kit? Late 60's-early70's Ludwig 3 ply WMP 20 13 16 kit with a 14x5 LM300 or a Supralite. I'm a sucker for steel snares. Other than the WMP part i have this kit. but i found it on the street and it's in terrible condition. Probably gonna get it rewrapped as they are the best sounding drums i've ever heard or played and of course the best part is that they were free.

Not sure of "Holy Grail" however I wish I could justify spending the dough on a Spizzichino Ka ride or some Vintage K. Zildjians. But mostly the Spizz. Also Have been contemplating a Gretsch USA custom as my next set I have played them and there really is something to that great Gretsch sound. However as a weekend Warrior I just can't justify it.

Back