Yamaha Drums

Hey Guys thought you might like to see a few pages of the 2009 Catalogs

DSCN7680.jpg

DSCN7683.jpg

DSCN7687.jpg

DSCN7688.jpg

DSCN7684.jpg

Looking great. is scanning the pics at real size per page possible to do?

Sorry Wes..............

Testing 123........................... Just upgraded to Pro Photobucket?????

DSCN7680.jpg

Looks the same to me?????

Last edited:
A closer look:

IMG_0537.JPG

This is EXACTLY THE FINISH I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR! I'd sell my Vintage Natural for that! I always admired the Reference Shimmer of Oz finish, but this is WAY BETTER! Honestly, I told my girlfriend the other day that if Yamaha were to come up with a mint/lime green sparkle finish my MCA Vintage Natural kit would have to make room for it!

As for the YESS2: Yuck! How can they do that? I mean, most of the people won't even hear the difference anyway (maybe except for those with 16x14/18x16 rack toms), so where's the logic in ruining the looks of the formerly most beautiful drums in the world? That'll be the reason I won't buy it. Sad.

I like the new lug design better than the nouveau lugs, but I'd still stick with the Absolute lugs.

I like the new lug design better than the nouveau lugs, but I'd still stick with the Absolute lugs.

I think I know now why I don't like those lugs and YESS - it is because in my opnion they "break" the looks of the drum. Everything on the shell has rounded shapes and then all of a sudden you have these angular shaped lugs and this big silver plate in the middle of it (not to mention it hides the finish). Its not harmonious...

I think I know now why I don't like those lugs and YESS - it is because in my opnion they "break" the looks of the drum. Everything on the shell has rounded shapes and then all of a sudden you have these angular shaped lugs and this big silver plate in the middle of it (not to mention it hides the finish). Its not harmonious...

Right on the money. That's what I thought, too. Why didn't they come up with a mixture of Nouveau and PHX lugs? Well, I guess there's the answer right there: They probably simply chose consistency over design. Otherwise they would have had to change the PHX lugs too. Still, rounding the lugs down a bit would have been far better.

The new YESS? Just plain ugly. Yamaha managed to turn the most beautiful tom mounting system into the ugliest, for the sake of probably just a few frequencies and a bit of sustain nobody is able to hear anyway (drastically put). I even would prefer those standard suspension rings over it. I mean, look at the systems from Sonor and Pearl, or even Tama. The mounts have to be integrated into the design of the drum!

The new YESS? Just plain ugly. Yamaha managed to turn the most beautiful tom mounting system into the ugliest, for the sake of probably just a few frequencies and a bit of sustain nobody is able to hear anyway (drastically put). I even would prefer those standard suspension rings over it. I mean, look at the systems from Sonor and Pearl, or even Tama. The mounts have to be integrated into the design of the drum!

The t.a.r. from Sonor covers a lot from the finish to (and is not as thin and sleek as the new Yess, altough its quite big) not to mension the Optimount from Pearl.

And I really dont think the R&D would design such a mount as it wasnt a bigger (hearable) difference with the old Yess system ;)

The t.a.r. from Sonor covers a lot from the finish to (and is not as thin and sleek as the new Yess, altough its quite big) not to mension the Optimount from Pearl.

And I really dont think the R&D would design such a mount as it wasnt a bigger (hearable) difference with the old Yess system ;)

I don't agree. The T.A.R. mount not only fits the overall design of Sonor shells better, it does not look like someone randomly cut out a plate of metal and slapped it on the shell. 'Cause that is what it is with Yamaha - there is virtually no design here, it's a bare plate of metal, no particular shape or motif.

Concerning the Optimount from Pearl, same thing - it suits the looks and doesn't look like a random piece of metal. Also, with the Optimount there is no piercing in the shell, so at least of one finds it ugly they can take it of and replace it. You can't do that with the new Yamaha Y.E.S.S. mounts.

Which makes me think, isn't there any option at all to have a drum set with the old Y.E.S.S. system?

Sorry for the rant, but I've been using Yamaha ever since I've been drumming. To see them do this is disappointing.

Downside to Nouveau Lugs

Fellow Yammies:
I have a set of Recording Customs I've had since '89...love em...Hot Red...10, 12, 13, 16, 22. That said, I'm looking at some new Maple drums. Like the sound of the Absolute Maples, but not sold on the Nouveau lugs. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Here's the scoop I got from a dealer with close ties to Yamaha:

1. If you want the "old" / current YESS system (without the big rectangular chrome plate) on a pro-level Yamaha kit, you basically have three options: Maple Custom, Recording Custom, and Oak Custom. I've heard that Yamaha probably won't change anything about the Maple Customs and Recording Customs, for sure--both series are too classic.

2. If you want the classic Absolute lug and not the nouveau lugs on your Absolute kit, no problem. Yamaha is going to start stocking their global warehouses with Absolute kits featuring the traditional Absolute lugs (non-nouveau). They've heard too many drummers voice a displeasure with the nouveau style, so it should now be a bit easier to get Absolute kits with non-nouveau lugs without the 4-6 month delay. (They even featured a couple of Absolute kits at NAMM with traditional, non-nouveau Absolute lugs.)

You might be able to request an Absolute kit with the old / current YESS system, but I'm not a 100% sure about this. You would have to talk to individual dealers and see what they could do. But just like Yamaha forced the nouveau lugs on the drumming world by stocking their warehouses with these kits over non-nouveau Absolute kits, I think they will be making the new YESS plate a standard on the Absolute series.

Hope that helps.

Note: And I agree about the Sonor TAR mount being way less intrusive on the shell than Yamaha's new YESS plate. I don't know what the R&D folks at Yamaha were thinking; even if this YESS plate does provide a bit more sustain, it has zero aesthetic appeal. Sonor's TAR system shows more of the shell finish and really only penetrates the shell at one point (bottom), given that the other two contact points are fixed at the lug. (The SQ2 mount is even better: it is affixed at the lugs only.) The Yamaha YESS plate 2009 penetrates the shell at three points, versus two with the old YESS system.

You guys, YOU CAN EASILY TAKE OFF THE PLATE, and you have the regular YESS. Yamaha uses vents on toms anyway, so that bottom hole, JUST PUT A GROMMET. It will look factory, and "normal". Don't FREAK OUT!!

You guys, YOU CAN EASILY TAKE OFF THE PLATE, and you have the regular YESS. Yamaha uses vents on toms anyway, so that bottom hole, JUST PUT A GROMMET. It will look factory, and "normal". Don't FREAK OUT!!

Uhm but what if we don't want to have an ugly third hole? It may not bother you, but not everyone is in that case. Also what tells that the spacing between the whole are the same with the new Y.E.S.S.?

Factory and normal... Sorry but that's your personal opinion.

Uhm but what if we don't want to have an ugly third hole? It may not bother you, but not everyone is in that case. Also what tells that the spacing between the whole are the same with the new Y.E.S.S.?

Factory and normal... Sorry but that's your personal opinion.

Well, if you were a female, I would understand about being that ridiculous. Have you seen the Yamaha vents with the grommets dude? Is this "ugly" or looks "non-factory"?
372572.jpg

Also, if that spacing did'nt fit properly, which I would wager does anyway, Yamaha has the YESS tom bracket for it. If it completely did'nt, then I stand corrected, but this is getting so stupid.

I don't see what's stupid in discussing tastes, or even trying to gather information if old Y.E.S.S. is still available as an option. I believe this thread is here for that purpose in the first place - talking about the new Yamaha gear.

Being said it's stupid just because we haven't seen it in real life, that is stupid in my opinion. A vast majority of promotion is done through catalogs, promo pics etc. to seduce the clients, I don't see no "Dear client, anything you might find ugly herein in is an optical illusion, please check out the 3 800 different products enclosed in real life before making your opinion, this pictures are not here to serve such purpose, yours sincerely, yo buddy at 'Maha!" written in them.

Not everybody has the same tastes as you guys - sorry.

Last edited:
I don't see what's stupid in discussing tastes, or even trying to gather information if old Y.E.S.S. is still available as an option. I believe this thread is here for that purpose in the first place - talking about the new Yamaha gear.

Being said it's stupid just because we haven't seen it in real life, that is stupid in my opinion. A vast majority of promotion is done through catalogs, promo pics etc. to seduce the clients, I don't see no "Dear client, anything you might find ugly herein in is an optical illusion, please check out the 3 800 different products enclosed in real life before making your opinion, this pictures are not here to serve such purpose, yours sincerely, yo buddy at 'Maha!" written in them.

Not everybody has the same tastes as you guys - sorry.

Not everybody has the same tastes, so everybody can give his judgement on the new stuff. Pre's and con's. So don't put things that where said in another prespective just becasue you don't like whats been said.

Now lets go back to the point of discussion... Yamaha...

Any Opinions?

Fellow Yammies:
I have a set of Recording Customs I've had since '89...love em...Hot Red...10, 12, 13, 16, 22. That said, I'm looking at some new Maple drums. Like the sound of the Absolute Maples, but not sold on the Nouveau lugs. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Back