Yamaha Drums

Congrats on scoring that drum at a good price. I still have the stock Yamaha heads that came with it. They sound like they're coated ambassador batter and a clear ambassador on the snare side. (Made for Yamaha by Remo is the only marking on them).

I have the 5x14 Vintage-natural you mention as seen in the photo.

Have fun !

Thanks, much appreciated. And yes, mine is 5 inches deep as well, not 5.5 like I had posted (mea culpa).

MusiQmaN, thanks for the info on the heads and for sharing your impressions. For the price, I basically stole this drum so in the unlikely event I don't like it, I should be able to turn it around quite easily (likely with a profit). But I have to say, I've never met a Yamaha snare drum I didn't dig! BTW, some beautiful membranophones you have there!

Anyway, I'll let you know when she arrives and joins the rest of the family (i.e., my MCANs)!

best,

spleen

Mike.. as prommised:
7130_1254288236928_1221222716_771825_8241887_n.jpg

7130_1254172194027_1221222716_771088_7110875_n.jpg

Yeah this set up gives me everything. 10, 12, 16, 20 13
and 10 snare. 2 hats, 3 crashes, 1 ride and 1 crash. New stands the hex and the new double pedal. Just perfect for me.

Installed a May sm57 on the 13 limited sn. for bottom icing. Now building up a flightcase.

On tube there are clips from the event. Big sound :D

But isn't the Hexnot something for you? Only the front, like I am using now. It saves stands and multiclamps and sets up in 4-5 minutes (out of the bags/cases)

Last edited:
Thanks, much appreciated. And yes, mine is 5 inches deep as well, not 5.5 like I had posted (mea culpa).

MusiQmaN, thanks for the info on the heads and for sharing your impressions. For the price, I basically stole this drum so in the unlikely event I don't like it, I should be able to turn it around quite easily (likely with a profit). But I have to say, I've never met a Yamaha snare drum I didn't dig! BTW, some beautiful membranophones you have there!

Anyway, I'll let you know when she arrives and joins the rest of the family (i.e., my MCANs)!

best,

spleen

Well, she finally arrived yesterday and come to find out, the shell is indeed 5.5 inches deep. I didn't post a picture, as you can already see what the drum looks like in JB's post.

Initial impressions: This is absolutely a beautiful drum (sonically and physically) and I can easily see it becoming the workhorse of my collection. It is extremely versatile with a wide range of rich, musical tones available with only slight adjustments to head tensioning. She's also very responsive at all dynamic levels and has beautiful resonance/articulation both with sticks and with brushes (even Mrs. Spleen popped her head into my drum room to comment on the sound with brushes).

As you can tell, I am (thus far) completely smitten with this drum! I'm looking forward to integrating her into "my sound" in various musical contexts.

I'm in love!

spleen

Do any of you mix the wood types of absolutes?

What's the better choice: maple kick with birch toms or vice versa? What about the snare?

That sure is a massive port hole dead center on your bass drum.

Dennis

My Absolutes are.

22X16 Maple bass
10X8 Birch tom
13X9 Beech tom
16X14 Birch tom

Bought them that way off eBay. They sound great. Good heads and proper tuning is most of the battle IMO.

Nice RCs in green! Good to see them in other colors besides cherry wood and black.

I wish Yamaha would bring back the Mellow Yellow lacquer finish for the Recording Customs. Talk about sweet!

My name is T Moran., My drums were stolen out of my car on 02/03/09. Any info would be great. Please keep a look out for the following: 1983 Black Yamaha Recording Custom Drums: Toms- 8"x10", 8"x12", 14"x14", 16"x16". Bass Drums 16"x22'. 1960 Ludwig Snare-Black Diamond Pearl 6-1/2"x14". Zildjian Cymbals in Yamaha Cymbal Bag-20' K Custom Ride, 18" A Custom Crash, 16" A Custom Crash, 14" A Custom Fast Crash, 6" A Custom Splash, 14" Mastersound Hihats, 13' Mastersound Hihats, 1-14" K Custom Session Top Hihat. Hardware; Girbralter Rack Mount System, with 2 Yamaha Tom Mounts and 4 Mini Cymbal Booms. Yamaha Snare, Hihat Stands, Rock n' Sock Drum Throne, Yamaha Single Flying Dragon Bass Drum Pedal, 2-Futz" Practice Pedals, Girbralter Bass Drum Practice Pad. All in Soft Cases. REWARD OFFERED!!! Thank you very much.....Sorry to be off subject............T

Attachments

• DSCF2863 levels resize.jpg
    DSCF2863 levels resize.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 3,277
Last edited:
My name is T Moran., My drums were stolen out of my car on 02/03/09. Any info would be great. Please keep a look out for the following:Yamaha Recording Custom Drums: Toms- 8"x10", 8"x12", 14"x14", 16"x16". Bass Drums 16"x22'. Ludwig Snare-Black Diamond Pearl 6-1/2"x14". Zildjian Cymbals in Yamaha Cymbal Bag-20' K Custom Ride, 18" A Custom Crash, 16" A Custom Crash, 14" A Custom Fast Crash, 6" A Custom Splash, 14" Mastersound Hihats, 13' Mastersound Hihats, 1-14" K Custom Session Top Hihat. Hardware; Girbralter Rack Mount System, with 2 Yamaha Tom Mounts and 4 Mini Cymbal Booms. Yamaha Snare, Hihat Stands, Rock n' Sock Drum Throne, Yamaha Single Flying Dragon Bass Drum Pedal, 2-Futz" Practice Pedals, Girbralter Bass Drum Practice Pad. All in Soft Cases. REWARD OFFERED!!! Thank you very much.....Sorry to be off subject............T

My name is T Moran., My drums were stolen out of my car on 02/03/09. Any info would be great. Please keep a look out for the following:Yamaha Recording Custom Drums: Toms- 8"x10", 8"x12", 14"x14", 16"x16". Bass Drums 16"x22'. Ludwig Snare-Black Diamond Pearl 6-1/2"x14". Zildjian Cymbals in Yamaha Cymbal Bag-20' K Custom Ride, 18" A Custom Crash, 16" A Custom Crash, 14" A Custom Fast Crash, 6" A Custom Splash, 14" Mastersound Hihats, 13' Mastersound Hihats, 1-14" K Custom Session Top Hihat. Hardware; Girbralter Rack Mount System, with 2 Yamaha Tom Mounts and 4 Mini Cymbal Booms. Yamaha Snare, Hihat Stands, Rock n' Sock Drum Throne, Yamaha Single Flying Dragon Bass Drum Pedal, 2-Futz" Practice Pedals, Girbralter Bass Drum Practice Pad. All in Soft Cases. REWARD OFFERED!!! Thank you very much.....Sorry to be off subject............T

Do you have any serial #s I will look on craigs list or ebay. I live in the chicago area I keep my eyes open. That really #$%^^& sucks.

Back