Yamaha Drums

As promised a while ago, here is a picture of my Maple Custom 30th Anniversary kit in Blue Fade sparkle.
Up for sale, anyone interested please leave me a message.

YamahaMCAnniversary2.jpg
[/IMG]

Sizes are 8, 10, 12, 14 toms, 20" bass drums and i have the matching 14x6" snare, not pictured. All mint apart from the small scuffing on the bass drum hoop.

Yes, i have had the kit a long time and fancy a change. It is still an amazing kit, but i have never seen another one in the same finish.

Hey everyone,

I've just discovered that my 14" floor tom is a little out-of-round :( Actually, it still sounds great, but the reso head just isn't sitting quite right.

It's part of my Maple Custom Absolute kit (die cast hoops) that I've had for about 13 months. Probably done 40+ gigs during that time but I've always kept them in cases and haven take good care of them. There's not a scratch on 'em and I can't remember any drops.

I can feel that the seam of the shell is a little stressed. All of the other seams on the other drums are smooth, this one is not. Could that mean anything?

Anyway, anyone here ever dealt with Yamaha? Am I stuck with it since I've had it over a year? Or will Yamaha work with me? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hey everyone,

I've just discovered that my 14" floor tom is a little out-of-round :( Actually, it still sounds great, but the reso head just isn't sitting quite right.

It's part of my Maple Custom Absolute kit (die cast hoops) that I've had for about 13 months. Probably done 40+ gigs during that time but I've always kept them in cases and haven take good care of them. There's not a scratch on 'em and I can't remember any drops.

I can feel that the seam of the shell is a little stressed. All of the other seams on the other drums are smooth, this one is not. Could that mean anything?

Anyway, anyone here ever dealt with Yamaha? Am I stuck with it since I've had it over a year? Or will Yamaha work with me? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The reso isn't seated right but the batter is? Sounds to me like the reso head might be the culprit. Or check the hoops.Try using the bottom on the top and the top on the bottom and see if the problem follows. If you still think the shell is out take it to a Yamaha dealer and find out. I'm sure they'll work with ya, especially if you have receipts.

Not sure what you mean by stressed. Is it mis-matched? Meaning is it stepped? Or is it opening? Either way I would say yes this is a problem.

Last edited:
Hi!
Are there any Yamaha history experts on here who can date my kit? I recently bought a Yamaha 9000 in "Real Wood" (natural) finish, and would like to know its age. The sizes are 13"x9", 14"x10", 18"x16" and 24"x14". The serial numbers are: TT-913E, TT-914E, FT-918E and BD-924E. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Vintage Yamaha 9000 Real Wood 001.jpg
    Vintage Yamaha 9000 Real Wood 001.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 9,389
The reso isn't seated right but the batter is? Sounds to me like the reso head might be the culprit. Or check the hoops.Try using the bottom on the top and the top on the bottom and see if the problem follows. If you still think the shell is out take it to a Yamaha dealer and find out. I'm sure they'll work with ya, especially if you have receipts.

Not sure what you mean by stressed. Is it mis-matched? Meaning is it stepped? Or is it opening? Either way I would say yes this is a problem.

By the way, thanks for the reply. I'm taking the drum to my Yamaha dealer tomorrow. They're going to work with me. I took a tape measurer and tried to discern if it was out of round and the result is under an 1/8 of an inch. I'm still going to have them look at it, but it's not bad either way. The seam is just a little off - if I run my fingers over any of the other seams, I can't feel them, but this one is slightly imperfect, stepped I guess. The hoops seem to be in good shape also, and actually the drum is sounding fine. I guess I just freaked, you know. We'll see what the dealer says. Thanks again!

By the way, thanks for the reply. I'm taking the drum to my Yamaha dealer tomorrow. They're going to work with me. I took a tape measurer and tried to discern if it was out of round and the result is under an 1/8 of an inch. I'm still going to have them look at it, but it's not bad either way. The seam is just a little off - if I run my fingers over any of the other seams, I can't feel them, but this one is slightly imperfect, stepped I guess. The hoops seem to be in good shape also, and actually the drum is sounding fine. I guess I just freaked, you know. We'll see what the dealer says. Thanks again!

No problem. Keep us posted how it turns out.

Hi!
Are there any Yamaha history experts on here who can date my kit? I recently bought a Yamaha 9000 in "Real Wood" (natural) finish, and would like to know its age. The sizes are 13"x9", 14"x10", 18"x16" and 24"x14". The serial numbers are: TT-913E, TT-914E, FT-918E and BD-924E. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like a mid-80's kit.
The tom mount is the smaller one, not the 3 holed triangle one.
Is that original?
Since it doesn't have the red/black sticker, I'd say it might be an 84-87-ish time period kit.
I think around 86 they started using a red/black wrap around sticker on the tubes--that's when I started getting their stands and stuff. What great hardware.

I like the look of these tom mounts better than the bigger ones they use now.

The new ones are too bulky looking...actually, ALL the hardware looks too bulky to me. Back then, everything looked just right "beef-wise" and everything worked together from the function, to the look and design of the lugs (all models), to the stands, tilters, height adjustment brackets on the stands, the wing nuts and the hi hat clutch....ah, they don't make 'em like they used too....

The tom mount ON the toms never cause any loss of resonance either.....that's a whole other thread haha!

You have a really great kit, I bet it sounds sweet. Have fun with it!

Hello everyone nice to see a thread dedicated to yamaha drums :) I just recently purchased a 6 piece yamaha oak custom kit in red gloss finish. I have a few pics of the kit but did not luck out on getting the 10' or 12' inch toms pictured in the kit. The guy i bought them off of sold them seperate. What i ended up getting for my 2000$ is 2- 24 inch kick drums, 14' snare, 13' tom and 16' and 18' flor toms. I will post some pics, i got everything you see minus the 10' an 12' tom. Now my goal is to add the extra 12' tom or a 10' tom whatever i can get my hands on. I purchased this kit over a month ago and ordered a tom from my local yamaha dealer the next day after buyin them and still have not received a tom or got a delivery date. I have looked everywhere online to try and locate a 10' or 12 inch tom in the red oak with no success. Ive tried ebay musiciansfriend you name it and nothing i cant even pick the red oak color option on any of the sites i have tried. Is yamaha still making the red oak color????????????? I sure hope so my goal is a 7 piece kit! If not if anyone can get there hand on one im in the market to buy :) heres some pics.

Zwicker

Attachments

• mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 6,559
  • mine2.jpg
    mine2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 6,482
  • mine3.jpg
    mine3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 6,441
Hello everyone nice to see a thread dedicated to yamaha drums :) I just recently purchased a 6 piece yamaha oak custom kit in red gloss finish. I have a few pics of the kit but did not luck out on getting the 10' or 12' inch toms pictured in the kit. The guy i bought them off of sold them seperate. What i ended up getting for my 2000$ is 2- 24 inch kick drums, 14' snare, 13' tom and 16' and 18' flor toms. I will post some pics, i got everything you see minus the 10' an 12' tom. Now my goal is to add the extra 12' tom or a 10' tom whatever i can get my hands on. I purchased this kit over a month ago and ordered a tom from my local yamaha dealer the next day after buyin them and still have not received a tom or got a delivery date. I have looked everywhere online to try and locate a 10' or 12 inch tom in the red oak with no success. Ive tried ebay musiciansfriend you name it and nothing i cant even pick the red oak color option on any of the sites i have tried. Is yamaha still making the red oak color????????????? I sure hope so my goal is a 7 piece kit! If not if anyone can get there hand on one im in the market to buy :) heres some pics.

Zwicker

Nice to see another Red Oak kit here. They still make them yes. Looking stunning :D

Nice to see another Red Oak kit here. They still make them yes. Looking stunning :D
Thxs for the comment i really like the kit and its a perfect fit for the type of music i play!! "METAL!!!" Favorite bands are soulfly and gojira so this kit is a perfect fit for me LOUD the way drums should be.

Heres a few links of me drummin on you tube only one of the clips shows the oaks at the guys house i bought them from with the 2 toms i wish the kit still had dammit!! LOL

First link jammin out some metallica on a shitty pearl kit at the place we play to jam! Little ruff but not to bad i guess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtydF1od_bA

Single kick drum techniques on a buddys ddrum kit!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2upwFHLWbo&feature=channel

And last of all a small clip of me on the yammies! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6xQBjKX9JU&feature=channel

Last edited:
This is my new Maple Absolute. 10x8, 12x9, 13x14, 15x14, 20x18 Virgin Bass drum.
They're very loud and punchy and have heaps of attack. My only concern is with 10x8, it doesn't have much sustain, its just really fast and punchy, but the 12 has much more sustain. do you think putting a diplomat on the bottom of the 10 would help even them out?
Any suggestions?
n643871658_1458327_3428.jpg

Looking stunning. How long do you have the drums, and how long do you have the heads. It takes some stime to have the right fine tuning (sometimes after weeks, and different spaces)

I would take the time to find the right tuning and have the heads played loose.

Back