wow, thrones make a difference

fmass92

I had been using the throne that came with my first drum set for over a year now without any real urge to purchase a new one. The one I had was a cheap basic Ludwig single-braced stand. I never really complained about it, but it finally broke on me the other day (one of the holes to keep the seat at the correct height stripped).

So I went to Guitar Center and got me a OCDP throne on sale for about $120, because I wanted a good one so it would last and all I have to say is wow. The throne is so stable, so secure, and so comfortable, I feel like I can play for hours upon end and my ass feels completely fine. I also feel like I am balanced a lot better between the pedals, and it's more like I'm am sitting on the seat and using my feet, compared to leaning on the seat and putting all my weight on my pedals.

Although I never thought it would make such a difference, this was one of the best upgrades I have ever gotten for my kit.

There is nothing like a firm place to plant your butt to give you security and confidence behind your kit!
That is why it is called a "Throne"
It all starts there. You sit at a comfortable height, in a comfortable seat, and magic begins to happen.
It only makes sense, If you are relaxed and comfortable, You will be able to play better!

Last edited:
Yeah I say the same thing when I go to my drum lessons. I have been using an office chair with one broken wheel ( No, I am not Kidding). So there are a few issues. The most annoying is that the seat is too low and doesnt go any higher. The second is that damn broken wheel. If I lean the wrong way.....yeah... I should get a new one to go with my new kit.

When I go to my lessons Im like wow...

It is rare that I forget anything. I am always very attentive to bringing all of my gear.
Last month I had a bad day and I forgot to bring my throne to practice. I tried other solutions such as office chairs, etc.
I wound up going home and getting my throne.
I made the band wait for me before practice began.
I simply couldn't play without it!

I would even go so far as to say that the throne is the most important part of your drum kit. If you're not comfortable in your seat when you play, you're not going to want to play as much.

I do think the throne is probably one the most important thing for a drummer bar hearing protection!!!

I used the throne that came with my first kit for quite a while and started developing back pains whenever I played drums. I swiftly replaced this with a better throne and alas the back pains went away, and I actually could practice for over 30 mins without having to come away because of the discomfort! Since then I've upgraded to more expensive thrones a couple of times and each time I must say its been a hell of a wise investment :)

Oh yeah, the throne is your foundation, it has to plant you there so your body is solid and not wasting time trying to balance you.
I have always tried to sit at the height of a typical kitchen chair (+/- 17") so no matter were I play I can find a seat at the right height. But, man, if it's not MY throne it'd tough to play...

You know, I never thought so.......until recently.

I'd been playing on cheapish thrones for years, never had a problem and always replaced it with another cheapy when they packed it in. I always thought I'd rather spend money on drums and cymbals than thrones. How wrong I was. I recently acquired a top shelf throne.....man, this thing is like sitting on a couch. Now that my arse has been planted in sheer comfort, I could never go back.

Last edited:
I talked the church I play at into getting a Roc N Soc for their kit. They were so impressed that they're thinking about getting one for the other sitting band members. So comfy and stable.

A few months ago I purchased a top of the line Tama Ergo Rider throne with the adjustable back rest. I had been getting a sore back after about 20 mins with my old stool, but now I can play for hours without any back pain. I,m a so 'appy.

There is nothing like a firm place to plant your butt to give you security and confidence behind your kit!
That is why it is called a "Throne"

I always thought it was called a "Throne" because the drummer is the king of the band ? :)

Indeed, a good throne makes a ton of differance. I think it's a big part of why i hardly ever play my drums anymore, i just dont feel good playing. My buddy has a roc n soc and i can play his crappy kit all day! My next investment for my kit is definately going to be a new throne.

I talked the church I play at into getting a Roc N Soc for their kit. They were so impressed that they're thinking about getting one for the other sitting band members. So comfy and stable.
The mandolin player that plays in my band sat in my Gibraltar backrest throne a few months ago at practice.
She bought one of her own a few weeks later.

I'm using a mid-level Yamaha throne right now. It's pretty comfortable, but if I sit on it for any more than two hours, everything below my legs starts to go numb. It's a cool, if weird, feeling. With my next kit, I'll think I'll pick up a high-end throne. I like the one I have now, but those moulded T-shaped ones look pretty cool.

The smartest thing I ever did was buy Roc-n-Soc with a back rest.

I had been using the throne that came with my first drum set for over a year now without any real urge to purchase a new one. The one I had was a cheap basic Ludwig single-braced stand. I never really complained about it, but it finally broke on me the other day (one of the holes to keep the seat at the correct height stripped).

So I went to Guitar Center and got me a OCDP throne on sale for about $120, because I wanted a good one so it would last and all I have to say is wow. The throne is so stable, so secure, and so comfortable, I feel like I can play for hours upon end and my ass feels completely fine. I also feel like I am balanced a lot better between the pedals, and it's more like I'm am sitting on the seat and using my feet, compared to leaning on the seat and putting all my weight on my pedals.

Although I never thought it would make such a difference, this was one of the best upgrades I have ever gotten for my kit.

I wanted to buy that OCDP one too :( But it was 140 at mine, so I got the Tama that was 120. Motorcycle style.

It was an upgrade from my old single braced no namer, and I gotta tell you it DOES make a HUGE difference! I'm jealous that you got the one I wanted though.

I've had a Roc-N-Soc for almost 20years (still have it actually). It's the Mac Sadle.
Have a couple Tam Ergo riders as well.....
BUT, I just switched from the cycle style seat to a round (Pearl) top and now I feel like "I'm free!!"

The other seats are comfortable, but I'd been feeling..."constricted" a little in my playing, and after a long time, I came to realize the style of seat I was using wasn't working anymore.

It actually hit me when I was playing a short "throw and go" gig on a POS back line kit.
Even though the kit was junk (I had my snare, cymbals and pedal), I felt free as a bird and it was FUN!
I realized that the seat I was on was round and it made a big difference for me.

I bit the bullet (on another throne # 4) and bought a Pearl Roadster throne because it was real comfortable, the size was perfect, and at it's lowest point, it was the perfect height for me.

Since I got it a few weeks ago, it's been smooth sailing playing everything in all my different bands.

I'm selling my 2 Tama Ergo's, and getting another of the Pearl thrones for my rehearsal kit so I don't have to haul the thing.

I always thought it was called a "Throne" because the drummer is the king of the band ? :)

I love sitting on my drum throne, but there is another throne in the house that makes me the king!

I got a Roc-N-Soc a few months ago, and echo what everyone else has said here about them. Excellent throne, very comfy and the hydraulics are awesome.

All the good thrones with nice cushion leave me with uncomfortable amounts of swass. At school we had a roc-n-soc and I had to get up after every song because it was just... bad. At home I have one of the cheap ones and its not as comfortable but I can sit in it longer without sweating as much..IDK there are probably more options that I could look into...any suggestions?

Back