worth it?

bmeat

hey guys. my friend wants to buy my entire kit, so I'm thinking about getting a birch kit and a cymbal pack. to do this it's gonna cost me an extra $500-600. think it's worth it? is a silverstar or mars really better than an imperialstar? I could get a pearl export to save myself some money. he's a serious buyer and wants to pick it up this week! I need some advice and opinions to help me decide. thanks.

Last edited:
I'm going to say no.

Assuming you have an Imperial Star now (and I assume a modern Imperial star, and not the 80's version), sell it all to get a Pearl Export is not an upgrade.

And selling it all just to spend $500-600 get a minor upgrade hardly seems worth the effort.

Unless you have another motivation (i.e you really want different sizes, or a different color), I'd just wait, save up, and get a real upgrade.

would birch drums like a silverstar, mars, or apk be worth it? some of that $600 would go towards sabian aa or zildjian a cymbals.

Last edited:
would birch drums like a silverstar, mars, or apk be worth it? some of that $600 would go towards sabian aa or zildjian a cymbals.

Not really. You might hear a negligible difference, but not enough to make it worth the extra cash. Instead, you should just use that money to upgrade your cymbals if you aren't happy with your current ones, and then save up for a really nice kit in the future.

As DrumEatDrum said, unless you're unhappy with sizes and/or finish, it's not really worth it.

Get more money

m o n e y

look how nice this guy made his imperialstar sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBZe3srpZww

Making a kit sound nice is about 80% tuning and head selection. You can make virtually any drum kit sound good if you know how to tune.

what do you mean? lol

He means don't sell one kit to buy another kit that's going to be essentially the same.

You've made it obvious, however, that you really, really want a different kit, whether or not it is any better than the one you have. So go for it if you want.

Making a kit sound nice is about 80% tuning and head selection. You can make virtually any drum kit sound good if you know how to tune.

He means don't sell one kit to buy another kit that's going to be essentially the same.

You've made it obvious, however, that you really, really want a different kit, whether or not it is any better than the one you have. So go for it if you want.

+ 1.Meat,I have to agree with all the advice here.Altough the silverstar are really nice drums,It's not much of an "upgrade" .Now if your said Tama starclassic birch,or bubinga birch....now you're talking.I heard a Crush birch mahogany kit the other day and it was slammin'

Two more things. Buy new cymbals if you don't like the ones you have now,and buy used if you can.Don't buy cymbal packs,and listen your cymbals,one by one,and don't ignore other brands like Paiste,Almeda,Meinl,Bosphoris.

And lastly,that guy who's vid you posted,knows how to tune,and can play his ass off.I't not the drums,most of the time.it's the drummer.I'd bet that guy could make any kit sound good with heads and tuning.

Also,don't be in a rush,just because somebody made you an offer.......take your time young Jedi knight.

Steve B

Last edited:
the thing is he doesn't want just my cymbals. he's my close friend and wants my entire kit. I like my cymbals and my drums, but like you said, I kind of want to jump on his offer because it's there and I know he'll have cash in hand.

I was looking at the crush chameleon bop, the sonor bop, and the ddrum reflex, but I figured I should just get a 100% birch kit so I'd get less flak about going from an imperialstar to one of those, but here I am getting flak anyway :p

Meat,I'ts not the shell material,but the level we're talking about.Silverstars are really great drums for their price point ,They don't cost a whole lot more than your Imperialstars .So when comparing the two lines,while there's improvement,there's not a whole lot .

So,we're not camparing birch with poplar,we're comparing the two lines of drums here.I have vintage Tama superstars and they're great drums in every way possible.Yamaha recording customs are legendary ,and both lines are 100% birch.

But in the end,you have to be happy with what you play.I've heard silverstars and they are a great looking an sounding set of drums,IMHO,nearly impossible to beat at their price point.Lacquer finishes,tough hardware and sound plenty warm.

Dude in the end it's your coin.

Steve B

Last edited:
gotcha. so I think it's between the silverstar, the mars, or the apk. your vote goes towards the silverstar. a warm sound is good and I know the hardware will be strong because it's strong on my imperialstar.

the mars is tempting me with its virgin kick and deep snare.

the apk also has a deep snare, but it's made of steel.

Exactly. You're kinda just screwing around jumping from one low priced kit to another because you feel like you want something else. You're the same with cymbals as I've seen in that part of the forum. I'm not trying to criticize you but I think you're just buying stuff for retail therapy and by now you probably could have saved enough for a pro kit and cymbals if you'd just focused on drumming itself. Your kit is fine but IMO just control yourself, save some money then go and pick a high end kit and be done with it. You won't care about exports or wuhans anymore!

With all this talk of birch shells, allow me to interject that I prefer Maple or Bubinga over Birch. Silverstars do sound nice though, I must admit.

I suppose this would be fine if you don't mind moving sideways. Your call.

I'd hold off though. Upgrade when you have the money to get a much better kit than you have, and keep your first kit as the schlepper or practice kit.

Staggering thread.

Every time I genuinely think I can no longer be surprised at what goes down at this place.......along comes another example to prove me wrong.

It's enough to make you question why anyone bothers.

well, the deed is done.. she was good to me.

well 'retail therapy' is short lived, soon comes the sellers regret.
they're your drums, your money but why ask everybody when you know you're going to sell anyway?

Staggering thread.

Every time I genuinely think I can no longer be surprised at what goes down at this place.......along comes another example to prove me wrong.

It's enough to make you question why anyone bothers.
This isn't the first "should I or shouldn't I" thread someone's started having already made the decision. Seeking validation seems to be a common theme. I doubt this will be the last time :)

I didn't know it was going to happen so soon either. my friend told me he needed a kit to tour with soon, but I didn't know he meant immediately. he showed up at my house with cash, said "what do you say?", and I took the offer.

I'm in it for some retail therapy as you guys suggest. I literally don't buy myself anything (besides food) so I figured what the hell, why not? it wasn't easy to do.

Last edited:
Back