Why Musicians DON'T Deserve to Get Paid

That may be fair, and it may not be fair. At around 20% of the take, it doesn't sound too bad really.

Is it a bar or was it non-alcoholic venue? If its a bar, you should get at least half the cover (by you, I mean split between the bands, if there's multiple), if not 80% (or all). The bar makes money off their booze.

If the venue makes their money by the box office, then 20% does seem a bit reasonable, but still a bit low to me.

Price is not a perfect measure of "value".

Yes, I'm sure we all tell ourselves that repeatedly...some of us even believe it.

Look, if you have to go through verbal acrobatics to arrive at a resolution that pleases you, that right there may be an indicator that you're avoiding something.

'If musicians aren't getting paid well, that doesn't mean they're worthless, it just means there's not enough demand.'

So if you're not making money at the end of the night, it's not that your band sucked, it's because not enough people were interested in forking over money to hear you.

That clears things up.

Last edited:
Most musicians suck, and don't offer anything of value.

That was only one of the points made in the original rant. It's fair when applied to the vast majority of musicians, or wannabee musicians.

A separate issue is all the musicians who are truly good at what they do and have invested a huge chunk of their life into their craft or art. It is truly sad that so many of them can't make a living with music.

As a hobbyist, I'm very sympathetic to those guys, but I don't have much sympathy for people who are really just hobbyists themselves, but expect to be paid like pro's.

Price is not a perfect reflection of value.

Yes, I'm sure we all tell ourselves that repeatedly...some of us even believe it.

I do, when I'm thinking about things like clean air, drinkable water, and truly talented musicians and other artists. Not so much about my own drumming though. That's strictly amateur hour.

As a hobbyist, I'm very sympathetic to those guys, but I don't have much sympathy for people who are really just hobbyists themselves, but expect to be paid like pro's.

I play on the weekends, too. But that I should have to lose money to entertain your guests at a bar, while you give me the stink-eye if I don't bring 30-50 people to buy drinks from you, and then not get paid for my time and gas and multiple tear downs/set ups with a total time investment of more than 4-5 hours just doesn't make any sense what-so-ever. Venue owners need to be a bit more careful maybe to book acts that will be a good fit, rather than people who might not do the best job. Even if you bomb it and nobody shows or whatever, you should always get gas money.

...while you give me the stink-eye if I don't bring 30-50 people to buy drinks from you...

Well, not me, but...

I always try to talk my guys into booking a bar we can fill. I'd rather pack a tiny little hole with 30 people than have 50 people standing around in a bar that can seat 500. It's a better show and it's a lot better for the bar.

Playing for chairs is a drag.

Back