Which way do your snares go, and why ?

To be sure you've got to stay down wind. Those guitar players can be quite cunning and rascally.

The guitar players around your parts must be a lot more keen. In these parts, they breed like rabbits and you really don't have to think much about snare placement. You can throw one down blindly, come back and you've likely snared several in the same trap. The state declared them a nuisance a while back so there's no limit.

I just put the head logo lined up with the snare's badge... I think the throw off ends up on the left depending on 8 or 10 lugs but honestly I don't know. I've never had problems flipping snares on and off.

I know some people will think this is silly, but I do the same thing. I'm more concerned with everything "lining up" than alot of other folks (judging by pics I see online.) I like the head logos (top and bottom) to line up with the badge on the drum (snare or otherwise) and I like the drum facing with the badge forward or at least angled out from me (like beams of sunlight shooting out from me - that's the first example that popped into my head - LOL).

So yeah, I'm weird like that.

The guitar players around your parts must be a lot more keen. In these parts, they breed like rabbits and you really don't have to think much about snare placement. You can throw one down blindly, come back and you've likely snared several in the same trap. The state declared them a nuisance a while back so there's no limit.

Yeah, we have a shortage around here so the state imposed a bag limit of two (which I agree with cause it's really more than you need, mostly). I guess the cunning and rascally ones I was referring to were the ripe ones, you know, meaty. Nothing worse than snaring an immature scrawny one.

My throw off is at about 10-11 o'clock, just in front of my left knee.
That way it doesn't get in the way of double kick work, and I can easily adjust the throw off on the fly.

My snare goes...

...from one side of the drum to the other but....

...they are there all of the time, not just at 6:00 or 7:00 or 8:00 or 9:00 or....

My snare stand actually has a motor that rotates the snare 360 degrees at random speeds at a given time.

It's anyone's where the throw of is at any time.

I also have another drum where the snare is actually on the shell.

Remember, here is the US Daylight Savings Time starts March 10th. Don't forget to set your snares forward an hour.

Back