What's In Kansas City MO?

Filthy

I am going to be in Kansas City MO for work at the end of June. Can anyone suggest any cool music stores (instruments/CD's/Vinyl) that are worth checking out? Or any good clubs for live music?
Thanks
R

Try Explorer's Percussion on Wornell (I think - look it up to be sure.)

And there is a big jazz scene there. They have a Jazz museum and with lots of clubs in the same area.

Check out the 18th and Vine area.

Explorer's is great (8050 Wornall Rd.). Lots of toys to play with and the owner, Wes, has a huge collection of vintage drums.

The 18th & Vine area is ok, it's kind of overdone and fake, but the Blue Room (the jazz club that's part of The American Jazz Museum) has some good jazz. Depending on the night, however, there might be some not-as-good R&B/smooth jazz nonsense.

The other two good jazz clubs are Jardine's (4536 Main St.) and the Phoenix (8th & Central). Again, they're hit and miss as far as what kind of "jazz" your going to hear on a given night.

I'll be playing at Jardine's on Saturday the 27th from 10:30 pm to 1:30 am with a great singer named Shay Estes. Come say hi!

Also, it would be a cryin' shame if you came all the way to Kansas City and didn't have some BBQ. You want to hit Arthur Bryant's, Gates, and/or Oklahoma Joe's.

Also, it would be a cryin' shame if you came all the way to Kansas City and didn't have some BBQ. You want to hit Arthur Bryant's, Gates, and/or Oklahoma Joe's.

Yes! Don't be scared that Oklahoma Joe's is one half of a gas station. The line out the door should tell you it's good BBQ.

Thanks for the recommends - I can't believe I didn't request some BBQ spots in my original post! Jazz and BBQ in the evenings will be the only thing that will make this work conference bearable.

I won't be in K.C. until the 28th so I won't make your gig the night before, but if you know of anything else going on, please let me know.

And more BBQ recommends would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
R

Back