What's a recent compliment you've received lately about your playing?

As an aside:

I used to have trouble accepting compliments, especially as a drummer at church (20+ years). When someone used to pay me a compliment, I would usually end up making some sort of self-deprecating comment back. I did this a lot until I heard this somewhere...

When someone gives you a compliment, they are giving you a gift. So many of us take that gift and we give it back at them when we say things like, "Oh, I wasn't that good" or "Man, I messed up so bad." We need to be more thankful for the gift they gave us, and say things more like, "Thank you so much! That means a lot." By trying to show our humility, a lot of the times we unintentionally tell the giver "I don't want this." Be thankful. Be grateful, and enjoy it. These moments don't last forever.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

As an aside:

I used to have trouble accepting compliments, especially as a drummer at church (20+ years). When someone used to pay me a compliment, I would usually end up making some sort of self-deprecating comment back. I did this a lot until I heard this somewhere...

When someone gives you a compliment, they are giving you a gift. So many of us take that gift and we give it back at them when we say things like, "Oh, I wasn't that good" or "Man, I messed up so bad." We need to be more thankful for the gift they gave us, and say things more like, "Thank you so much! That means a lot." By trying to show our humility, a lot of the times we unintentionally tell the giver "I don't want this." Be thankful. Be grateful, and enjoy it. These moments don't last forever.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

I am still the same way, and this really puts perspective on my super-introverted responses. I am the king of self-depreciation!

One of the guitar players in a band I joined a few months ago told me during practice “I love the stuff you play. Everything just fits so perfectly. Especially in that song.” It was extra nice to hear, because I’ve been focusing my playing lately on specifically making the song sound better by what I am doing. Rather than just playing what’s fun or makes me sound good or is hard/easy. He was telling me I was succeeding at my goal without knowing he was telling me that. The other thing is these guys are all way beyond me musically. I’m not musically educated. These dudes draw staffs on a dry erase board and argue about relative keys. Compose sheet music. It’s kind of a compliment that they let me hang with them.

I was the only drummer following the host band at a recent jam. I got to play with 3 different sets of players and sang every other song since there were only a couple of players who sang. The host band's drummer ( an unusually gifted drummer) has complimented my playing, but after this jam he told me " you have a great voice "'
I have found my voice and have tons of blues tunes and more that I can sing well, but not a great voice, really.

some of the ones I get from soundguys:
- I don't have to do much to get your drums to sound great
- I love it that you are here early
- thank you for having working equipment, and no rattles or broken heads
- you are easy to work with
- oh, you know how to wrap cables

The one and only compliment that I get that has any lasting power is when I get called to sub for drummers whom I know are demonstrably better than me. I get the usual praise from strangers and occasionally bandmates but getting calls from other bands is the ultimate compliment, to me.

Last edited:
In life, relationships & music, people will blow smoke up your a$$. Or diss you.
The important thing is to recognise when it’s genuine. Great to have praise, but I play because I enjoy it; if other people enjoy it too, then maybe I’m doing a reasonable job.
If I’m less capable than I THINK I am, I’m happy to be told where I could improve & how to go about it.
Being comfortable in your own skin, & happy with constructive criticism, is where it’s at for me. Too old/stubborn/stupid to worry about it. Life’s an opportunity to enjoy, learn, encourage others, laugh & smile!

(Typed on holiday in the Red Sea area of Egypt with the benefit of 2 beers, 2 Gin & Tonics & a glass of Merlot- sorry for yet more inane ramblings!!!)

In life, relationships & music, people will blow smoke up your a$$. Or diss you.
The important thing is to recognise when it’s genuine. Great to have praise, but I play because I enjoy it; if other people enjoy it too, then maybe I’m doing a reasonable job.
If I’m less capable than I THINK I am, I’m happy to be told where I could improve & how to go about it.
Being comfortable in your own skin, & happy with constructive criticism, is where it’s at for me. Too old/stubborn/stupid to worry about it. Life’s an opportunity to enjoy, learn, encourage others, laugh & smile!

(Typed on holiday in the Red Sea area of Egypt with the benefit of 2 beers, 2 Gin & Tonics & a glass of Merlot- sorry for yet more inane ramblings!!!)

same for me....I did not get into music to impress other people. it was only to impress my self. If other people happen to dig it, than that is "happy shrapnel" but yeah, often times, the "man, great set" is the apathetic reaction by people who don't want to come off as jerks....I always read the body language as it surrounds the interaction.

maybe I am weird, but I would rather them say nothing, than feel that awkward pressure to say something. I won't be insulted if you don't compliment me, and after most gigs, I am so busy beating myself up internally for how much I sucked that I don't hear half of the comments anyways. I am my own harshest critic....

Reactions: GSL
some of the ones I get from soundguys:
- I don't have to do much to get your drums to sound great
- I love it that you are here early
- thank you for having working equipment, and no rattles or broken heads
- you are easy to work with
- oh, you know how to wrap cables

A drumming sound guy complimented my super cheap drums for sound. Not so much me, :)

Every time I've played in front of a live audience there are always compliments from people. Some polite some sincere. I have not a recent one but very old one that has stuck with me. Years ago during a battle of the bands night (came in second BTW) at a top rock club in the area there were about 6 bands in doing sound check with the house sound man. I was in my early 20s. I was either the first or second drummer to check. The sound system was phenomenal. So I did my thing, first tom, second tom, floor tom etc. Ok down the rack. Ok lay something down. Then off. Next guy up. So I'm breaking my kit down shooting the shit with people and a few more guys checked and evidently the sound man was getting frustrated with the sound of the drums. All of a sudden he stops everything and yells "Hey! All you drummers if you want to know how to tune your drums go talk to that kid... he's got tight ass drums!" I look up and he's pointing at me! Huh?! It's always stuck with me. When we get compliments from regular non-musicians we tend to forget many of them but when they're from peers they can stay with you.
The sound man was Dinky Dawson. I've included his bio below.

Believe it or not, this is what I mostly hear.
I know it's meant in jest, but you have to understand after consistently hearing it (and nothing else with substance), you start to think they're not joking.

Couple this with my phone not really ringing to play (even from buddies who loved the product I gave them last time), I'm starting to think my time behind the kit has played out.
I'm 53 & am not getting any younger, so I don't see this getting better.

Sorry to be the downer, but this "compliment" struck a nerve. Reminding me of how the future looks for me.
You know what I say about those people don't you?😁

BTW I'd love to be 53!

Hang in there man 👍

Sitting and talking with a woman at a jam once she said the current drummer playing is a pretty good drummer.
I lost all respect for anything she said about drummers at that moment. The guy is pretty bad; barely functional. Only recently can he get through the songs being played. Endings are likely a mess. He keeps a death grip on the sticks.

You know what I say about those people don't you?😁

BTW I'd love to be 53!

Hang in there man 👍
I appreciate it I assure you.
And yes...I'm very much aware of what I can (and have) said to those folks.

I enjoy the time at home playing alone & when the time comes to do my thing, I'll be ready.

I received a comment years ago that has stuck with me… a humorous memory. I was in a hard-rock/classic metal cover band down in Louisiana and we got hired to play at a local fair/festival. We ended up being slotted between a little Cajun French band and a beauty contest, so we were kind of nervous about the turnout. After we did our set full of classic Sabbath, Priest, Nazareth… – which I bashed on my 11-piece Rogers kit that I nicknamed Fort Rogers – I stepped off of the stage and the 80-something-year-old drummer of the little Cajun French band came up to me and in a thick Cajun accent said “Mais chére! You hit dem drum so hard! I’m glad you not mad at me, yeah!”

Back