Whatcha Reading Right Now?

A bit late but currently reading The Hobbit. Got it as a Christmas present from mum 2 years ago and finally busting it out today lmao.

A bit late but currently reading The Hobbit. Got it as a Christmas present from mum 2 years ago and finally busting it out today lmao.

the Tolkien books were my very first bedtime stories that mom read to me back in the 70's....starte me on the rao to fantasy nerd-dom that I still proudly walk on!!!

the Tolkien books were my very first bedtime stories that mom read to me back in the 70's....starte me on the rao to fantasy nerd-dom that I still proudly walk on!!!
Hey! Speaking of mums, she introduced me to the whole LoTR series and currently about to rewatch the trilogy after homework :p

Recently finished Frankenstein (loved it) and Brave New World (did not love it). I’m on to The Divine Comedy, but I’m having a hard time getting started. The introduction is pretty good. I might stop there. 😅

Recently finished Frankenstein (loved it) and Brave New World (did not love it). I’m on to The Divine Comedy, but I’m having a hard time getting started. The introduction is pretty good. I might stop there. 😅
I read the Devine Comedy in its entirety. It is indeed long. Lol

I recommend just sticking with the intro. 😅

interesting, I didn't like Frankenstien, but loved Brave New World...

and I tried to start the Divine Comedy 3 or 4 times in my early 30's, but could never keep it going

might put that one on the list again

interesting, I didn't like Frankenstien, but loved Brave New World...

and I tried to start the Divine Comedy 3 or 4 times in my early 30's, but could never keep it going

might put that one on the list again
My daughter didn’t like Frankenstein either. I think you need to be in the mood for the pacing. Shelly is kind of verbose. What I liked about it was I thought I knew the story, but really I didn’t. That was fun.

My daughter didn’t like Frankenstein either. I think you need to be in the mood for the pacing. Shelly is kind of verbose. What I liked about it was I thought I knew the story, but really I didn’t. That was fun.

yeah that is true re: knowing the story.

and it was pretty verbose now that I think about it, but yeah, I think I was expecting a little more "hollywood" when I read it...or maybe a bit more Dracula

yeah that is true re: knowing the story.

and it was pretty verbose now that I think about it, but yeah, I think I was expecting a little more "hollywood" when I read it...or maybe a bit more Dracula
I get that. Frankenstein was a complete decent into darkness. Dracula was more Hollywood. Much lighter and faster paced. The juxtaposition between those two stories that previously held the same place in my mind was another aspect I liked about Frankenstein. As a kid I put Frankenstein, Dracula, The Invisible Man, and The Mummy all in the same classic horror category. I blame Abbot and Costello.

This thread is awesome! Been meaning to and finally spent the 30 minutes to go through it. Bought 4 books so far and wish-listed a fifth.

Here's my contribution and seemingly a little outside the interest topics so far. Bad Blood by John Carreyrou.
https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Blood-Se...ad+blood+john+carreyrou&qid=1711645900&sr=8-1
About Elizabeth Holmes and her start-up company Theranos. A fascinating page-turner and insight into the chaos, psychology and tactics of this start up company. Holmes was indicted and convicted of fraud after spending some $900MM in investor equity, lying to investors and the public and eventually being outed by Wall St. Journal writer John Carreyrou. He also has a podcast on the subject which is equally gripping (with interview recordings of Holmes herself): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bad-blood-the-final-chapter/id1575738174

Lastly: LAKE SUPERIOR - I spent 10 days one summer in college (Madison, WI) riding my motorcycle alone around Lake Superior & Lake Michigan, camping on the cheap. It was awesome! Camped a couple of days on the peninsula in Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. Even in summer, Lake Superior is COLD! Fond memories.

was looking forward to reading my recently aquired copy of metro 2035 by dimitri ghukovsky, the listing told me it was in english, book arrived and its in polish, and as of this moment, i cant speak, read, or understand polish -_-

so back it goes.

Back