What is your main snare you gig with, and your back up snare?

Seeing a lot of metal snares here. Lots of Luddies.

Metal snares kick ass live and Luddies seem to kick it just a little better, Kinda like a Strat and a Marshall tube amp. Just cant get That Sound any other way.

Last edited:
For bigger venues, I usually use my DW Edge or my DW Super Solid.

For midsize gigs, I usually use my Yamaha Elvin Jones, or DW/Craviotto 5.5x13.

For smaller gigs and jams, I like to use my 6.5x14 steel, or my Pearl 4x14 Marvin Smitty Smith sig.

All of my snares sound great and could be used at any gig. They are all versatile enought to hold their own, expecially under the mic, so a lot of times my conventional wisdom goes out the window, and I play whatever I am feeling the most on that particular day. I am getting a bronze 6.5x14 soon and I'm sure that is gonna get heavy play in the rotation!

Last edited:
Well I am a little different, for recording I always seem to end up using my Ludwig LM2000B 14x6.5 Brass Millenium, but do not gig it, just too precious to me, so gigs are covered by a Black Beauty 14x6.5, both drums have Tube lugs and cast hoops, tho the brass cast hoops of the LM2000B make quite a big difference in sound to the standard Ludwig items, but it is close enough for me.

Well I am a little different, for recording I always seem to end up using my Ludwig LM2000B 14x6.5 Brass Millenium, but do not gig it, just too precious to me, so gigs are covered by a Black Beauty 14x6.5, both drums have Tube lugs and cast hoops, tho the brass cast hoops of the LM2000B make quite a big difference in sound to the standard Ludwig items, but it is close enough for me.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was that snare?

Last edited:
photo.php
I own 9snare drum, but most of the time I use my signature stave snare from ROS drums co. It is a hybryd stave shell made from 3different woods. Hornbeam/Paduk/American walnut (1block paduk 2blocks hornbeam 1block american walnut 2blocks hornbeam etc. 13x6, die-cast hoops,
My secondary snare is 12x5.5 stave bubinga from the same company. I can use it as a side snare or as main snare because of sound qualities of bubinga.
If I play jazz I use 1971 slingerland gene krupa soundking cob 14x5 :)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 270
Depends on the gig, and sometimes the song...

My two go-to drums for versatility are a 5x14 Black Beauty and a 6.5 x14 DW Craviotto Single Ply Maple. They'll both tune high and low but the BB has more bite and volume for certain gigs.

I use my Pork Pie Piglite Acrylic (6.5x14) as my main snare and the stock snare that came with my set as a backup, Tama Silverstar Birch (5.5 x 14). It just sits in a gig bag out in the car and hopefully I'll never need it.

Just got a Pork Pie Big Black Brass (6.5x14). Using that at practice, with stock heads. As soon as I replace them with a Remo Amb bottom, and Emp X top, I'll take that out as my primary snare at gigs for a while.

Mainly I use my Ayotte 5.5 x 14 maple with maple hoops or my DW 5.5 x 14 Maple. The choice between these two is based on location as they live an hour and a half apart and I play fairly frequently in both areas.

Backing up the Ayotte is a Pork Pie Little Squealer, and backing up the DW is a Pearl Free Floating (currently with 5.5 maple).

This setup might change soon. I just picked up a beautiful Slingerland 8 x 14 brass snare and two more shells for the free floating, so we'll see how these mesh into the lineup.

Main snare: Pork Pie Big Black

Secondary: 14x5" Pork Pie Maple

Smaller/Quieter gigs: 14x6.5" Gretsch Catalina Club Mahogany

For bigger venues, I usually use my DW Edge or my DW Super Solid.

For midsize gigs, I usually use my Yamaha Elvin Jones, or DW/Craviotto 5.5x13.

For smaller gigs and jams, I like to use my 6.5x14 steel, or my Pearl 4x14 Marvin Smitty Smith sig.

All of my snares sound great and could be used at any gig. They are all versatile enought to hold their own, expecially under the mic, so a lot of times my conventional wisdom goes out the window, and I play whatever I am feeling the most on that particular day. I am getting a bronze 6.5x14 soon and I'm sure that is gonna get heavy play in the rotation!

I recently sold my DW snares and purchased 6.5x14 World Max Bronze Hawg for a fraction of the price. It sounds great and has held it's own on gigs.

If I need to project, without having a snare mic, I'll take the Slingerland 6.5x14 with die-cast hoops. I love the sound of my Pearl copper sig snare and I added die-cast hoops to give it more projection.

My Yamaha Elvin Jones snare can hold it's own on any gig, and can tune up or down. I sold the DW snares because the 4 I have now, can more than hold their own with the high end expensive snares and they were getting much more work! I loved the sounds I got from the Edge, Super Solid, and DW/Craviotto, but I didn't use them enough to want to keep them.

It's a toss up as to which one is my main and which I take as a back-up... they can all hold their weight and sound outstanding!

I too use a Ludwig, namely a 14x5 Black Beauty. Can be tuned for anything you need extremely easily - in fact it's hard to get a bad sound out of the thing! I tend to tune on the high side for a nice high-energy sound but it happily does the fat sound with just a few turns of the lugs

I do agree that the throw-off is shameful for such an expensive snare but in all honesty I hardly use it so it's not much of an issue yet but I will one day change it out when I get around to it.

I dont really have a second snare as such, although I have 2 others on the shelf at home: some no-make 12x3 thing with no lugs - just a rod connecting both hoops - that cost next to nothing and sounds appalling, and some cheapo random 13x5 Mapex snare. I will one day pick up an acrolite for backup duties though...just whenever I have the spare cash.

So for you folks that also have expensive back up snares, do you bring both snares in hard cases (SKB, etc)?

So for you folks that also have expensive back up snares, do you bring both snares in hard cases (SKB, etc)?

I have two cases - an Ahead lined drum bag for the Sensitone, and an old Ludwig-style square school case for the other snare I bring. If I only bring one snare, I bring it in the Ahead bag, easier to pack.

I have two cases - an Ahead lined drum bag for the Sensitone, and an old Ludwig-style square school case for the other snare I bring. If I only bring one snare, I bring it in the Ahead bag, easier to pack.

Trying to figure out if I have to get that 2nd snare SKB hardcase...

Trying to figure out if I have to get that 2nd snare SKB hardcase...

Depends. If you are just taking breakables, as I do for my current main gig, a bag is just as good and you're unlikely to bang the drum against too much stuff. If you're doing serious gigging with the full kit in the car/van/trailer, I'd get the second hard case.

I use two snares. On my small Tama kit I use the matching Birch snare. It sounds great so why swap it out? Other than that its my mainstay Pearl brass sensitone 14x6. It's so versatile! I use it for everything, plus I'm so used to its' sound. Its great with sticks, but sounds just as good with multi rods played softer. I only have two others, a matching snare for the Mapex kit, and a Mapex piccolo. 95% of the time its the Pearl.

Attachments

• TamaSnare.jpg
    TamaSnare.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 173
  • PearlSnare.jpg
    PearlSnare.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 173
my new snare I've been trying out is a

2007 Mapex Saturn Pro snare with thin (5.1mm/6 ply) maple & walnut shells (4 outer plies maple/2 inner plies walnut)/2.3mm power hoop rims/"Twilight Fade" hand lacquered finish (forest green metalflake fades to lime green see-through)

my backup snare, which used to be my only snare drum - is a slingerland jam session from late 80s-early 90s, made offshore apparently - it's completely steel and I love it too.

I'll bring both to the festival I'm playing coming up in 2 weeks but I doubt I'll blow through the brand new Evan's coated reverse dot I put on the mapex snare

Back