What Else Do You Play?

Yeah, there's nothing at all suspicious about someone joining DW and making his first post a response to a thread over a year old that was started by a banned member. Nothing at all. I know that's where I would start if I was going to join this forum.

No soy el que piensas.

Guitars:
- Electrics, 6 and 7-strings (the 12-string gets very little use but I have one). Well, 1-2 times a week now. Been playing for 23 yrs. Focus: metal/rock/technique, melodic shred.
- Acoustics: 6-string steel string, fingerpicking only (4 yrs into acoustics.)
(Plus my dad's nylon string, playing it very seldom. If so, mocking classical/flamenco style.)

Basses:
- Fretted 6-string (learned that I don't need the highest string though) and fretless (5-string). Basses are getting regular - although not too intense - use lately, been doing a few gigs as a bassist.

Sitar:
Have one, just messed around a bit. Should get more into it.

Oud:
Bought that one from the female singer I'm working with. Not easy to get along with the intonation as it's a fretless instrument with a rather short scale. Messing around from time to time.

Keys: Had a cheapo keyboard for a while. Would love to have a better understanding. Maybe in the future...

(Dreaming of learning the violin/cello and some more stuff...)

Last edited:
When I was a little kid, I wanted to play my dads guitar and be like the older kids in the various surf garage bands around town. But my parents said I had to learn a "legitimate" musical instrument first. After a year or so of piano lessons (and learning some guitar on the side from my uncle) I finally got a guitar of my own. Playing in J-Teen bands meant there was often a drum set in my garage so I got into playing those. Mostly concentrated on guitar until about 3 years ago when the corporate band I was playing in broke apart and a combination of arthritis and frustration over having not learned correctly (even though I had the piano lessons and took theory in high school, I was mostly a by ear guitar player) and the uphill climb it would take to get my knowledge up to the level of my (pre-arthritis) technical ability and reputation, made me shelve the guitar to a side thing. That meant not as much work learning songs, less work shedding theory and trying to play like I wanted and just enjoying it more when I do play it. I decided to start over again on the drums. Picking the brains of great drummers over the years, I had less bad habits in technique and was always better at reading time than full notation for guitar. The idea is to try to jump start by going at the instrument properly.

Having some facility with the keys comes in handy recording at home. And 7 years working in a music store taught me to get sounds and pick our some melody on lots of different things. Although I wouldn't consider myself a player on any of them, I can do some little bits on a recording on sax, flute, trombone and various other things. I have a cello in the living room next to my mom's old grand piano that I fool around with from time to time. Someday, I'm going to record a funky version of Borodin's Nocture moving from cello to an Eric Johnson/Robben Ford celloish guitar. I love that melody.

Where I fall down is that I have no natural speed. I can't trill on anything or do fast single strokes. I have to rely on coordination and getting from one note to another rather than repeating figures.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Oh yeah, also some guitar, bass, and piano. Piano being the one I play best of the three.

*Badass bass player... homemade technique but can groove the hair follicles off your forearms ( being lefty I play it strung right handed but upside down )

* Play a mean guitar in quite the same manner.. i e upside down ( I get a lot of " oh wow. thats amazing!!!!!" anytime I pick up the guitar.

* I can fool you into thinking I'm George Duke for about 12 bars on keys, after which you can probably tell that I'm faking it.

PS- Sorry for the utter lack of humility here, dont know what got into me... completely out of character here...

*Badass bass player... homemade technique but can groove the hair follicles off your forearms ( being lefty I play it strung right handed but upside down )

* Play a mean guitar in quite the same manner.. i e upside down ( I get a lot of " oh wow. thats amazing!!!!!" anytime I pick up the guitar.

* I can fool you into thinking I'm George Duke for about 12 bars on keys, after which you can probably tell that I'm faking it.

PS- Sorry for the utter lack of humility here, dont know what got into me... completely out of character here...

Need a drummer? I think I might know where to find one.

I find it's extremely liberating to play multiple instruments. In my case, I started learning drums because I couldn't find suitable band mates to play with. I had been playing electric guitar for about 9 years then and have now been playing drums for 2-1/2 years. Took to it like a fish to water and bought a bass late last year to round up the "band".

The only downside is that you can't trade ideas with others, but it's cool to be able to play a piece of music in the way you envisioned it without outside interference.

Poker & Black Jack. Oh wait, you said instrument. Yeah, nothing else for me. And as far as drums, don't do that too well either..............but I have fun doing it.

I had been playing guitar and writing music for years before I ever touched a drum kit, and I can say that it helped tremendously to learn how to drum. When most musicians write, they usually have something in mind for what the drums should be, and I think that's what helped the most. I used to write all of my songs in Guitar Pro, and write the drums to go with them.

As a drummer, it's great to be able to know what key everybody else is playing in, and to be able to suggest things when you know how to do so appropriately. If I have an idea, I don't have to struggle to portrait what I mean. Instead, I can just pick up an instrument to play it for them and ask what they think about it.

I probably wouldn't function nearly as well as a musician if drums were the only instrument that I ever played.

Yeah, there's nothing at all suspicious about someone joining DW and making his first post a response to a thread over a year old that was started by a banned member. Nothing at all. I know that's where I would start if I was going to join this forum.

Good spot 8Mile, I wonder if "maraquero" is Spanish for "plangentmusic"

whose next, elsticksquatrodrums?!

Started on drums .......

Then learned guitar

Then came bass

A little keys here and there (faking it really)

The bad thing is I have a severe case of G.A.S. with all instruments I enjoy

......Three full acoustic drum kits, ton of snares, various electronics

also have 8 guitars, several amps and a bass rig

......it would definitely be cheaper to play only one instrument, but I just love music and I feel it makes for a better rounded musician

Back