What Dynamic Microphone for Assorted Percussion?

Well I've never seen another person with an LPD-8. At least there are two of us in the World.

I like what you've written. I also agree about the SM57s. I've never been too impressed with them. They work but they always need more work. I've always had difficulties with D112s too - probably something I'm doing wrong but all the same.

No idea about the D112. Haven't ever ventured to record bass kick drums. Here're some synthetic drums of my make, attached.

Microphones are always somewhat of a hit and miss, some work for recording one type of percussion, others work with other kinds of drums. The D-40 was recommended by someone who was delighted with them on toms, and well, that suits the application. They're not perfect either (the same can be said about SM57), but hey, if someone prefers them over anything (including SM57) for toms and that someone has a lot of experience recording his own band, well, then that does it. The other option could've been the ATM650.

The issue with SM57 is that it somehow tends to miss an important part of the sound. That's what usually happens with an underfed microphone though. Fixable with a dedicated preamp, or at least a goodie mixer. It's somehow rough-edged too, but that's fixable with a trick which works on any microphone, which is taking off any windshields and head cages for dynamics. An SM57 with no windcage ought to be more gentle and intimate.

The LPD-8 beats carrying any drums. With the right synth and the right gear synthetic drums can sound right too.
http://www.solarstudios.net/Sounds/Demo.mp3

Attachments

• Demo.mp3
    393.7 KB · Views: 77
Well my method for recording bass kicks is synthesis.

Back