What Do You Search For Daily on Reverb/eBay/CL/FB?

Let's see:

Slingerland
Radio King
Ludwig
Drum Seeker case (I need a 20x16, but will take a 22x16/18).
Snare drum

I check daily for smokin' deals e.g. my 6-piece Yamaha BCAN set for $725 or my $110 Supraphonic.

I have all of the drums and cymbals I'll ever need but I jump at bargains on things I will actually use.

Last edited:
I have saved searches on eBay for:

Mapex sterling sparkle
Tama Stagestar white
Pacific CX silver sparkle

I have saved searches on eBay for:
Tama Stagestar white
I've wanted one for a long time too! I did manage to find the 12" tom and the 13" wood snare. They were pretty yellowed however (they were pure white under the lugs). I ended up finding the other drums that go with the kit (10", 14" FT and 18" BD) in black, so I decided to re-wrap them all. I've only re-wrapped the 10" so far (and ironically, I don't plan on using it) but it's an exact match to the original (non-yellowed) finish. I used White Pearl wrap from Precision Drum Company.

Non-White Stagestar kits come up fairly often, so that may be an alternative. Usually when the white ones do show up, they are usually at least somewhat yellowed, if that bothers you or not. Yes, wrap is an added expense and hassle, but will work. It's also Precision's second cheapest wrap group (B), so not nearly as much as Glitters and Oysters. A full sheet will do both rack toms and the snare, with enough leftover for inlay strips for the bass hoops. Then you can just order a pre-cut for the floor and bass. They will also cut the full sheet for you to the sizes you need for free.

The last obstacle is finding the wood snare. The 13" wood snare was only issued on the very last run of the Stagestars and the Stagestar FX (the white pearl ones). You could always use any old 13" snare and find a Stagestar badge.

Good luck!

Attachments

• new-white-pearl.jpg
    new-white-pearl.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I don't search daily but I've long been on the lookout for a first generation 22" Zildjian K Custom Dry Complex ride (designed by Bill Stewart). I have a second generation 24" that I love but the thinner first gen 22s are something special. Paul Francis now makes a "Bill Stewart Style" line of cymbals that mimic the originals. They're pricey but I may end up giving one of those a go.

Drums are too much like Art-it's value is in eye of beholder. We need to make it like a sport so like baseball the bats are standardized. So all drums now should be made of same wood and same exact same configuration by one brand name maker (though sources can vary) so an even playing field and only skill will vary. Everyone plays same cymbals, same kits, same heads, same sticks, just the player and tuning varies. What a novel idea-I really hate it. LOL. Life without Art is meaningless.

I was all hot to buy a bop kit-just because I wanted to try an 18 in kick-also the 12/14 toms are a nice two tom choice-that or a 13/16 with a larger kick. But after listening to a bunch of 18 in kicks I decided I hate them. I really love my lil 16 in kick but something about the 18 in just left me wanting. 20 and larger I'm all in. Still I want to buy one to try cause I've often made premature judgments that turned out wrong. I picked out my Pearl Decade 13/16/24 just because I wanted to try a 24 in kick and own a 13 in again-and I really like the kick and 13 tom. It wasn't expensive -$620 bucks as I recollect-and it was a birthday or Xmas gift piggyback LOL.

Premier, Olympic and Beverley drums

Newer used Turkish cymbals from small CO’s like Pergamon

Tama split lug Granstars and whatever whim I’m currently on

I’m in a text thread with a couple of musician buddies. We’re always talking about drums, guitars, amps, etc. Those discussions usually lead to various internet searches and sleuthing.

Chicago Music Exchange
Dave’s Guitar Shop
The Gear Page
Telecaster Discussion Page
Stew Mac Guitar Parts
Badges Drum Shop
Maxwell’s
Good Hands
2112 Percussion
Rochester Drum Trade
Hawthorne Drum Shop
Wood & Weather Drum Shop
Nelson Drum Shop
DCP
Memphis Drum Shop
Carter’s Guitars
Sweetwater
Music Go Round
Reverb
DFO
Peach Guitars
Anderton’s

Probably more places I can’t recall at the moment. Mostly casual browsing these days. Recently acquired another kit, a snare and some miscellaneous hardware. Not really in the market for anything at the moment.

Recently hunting for New Beats on Reverb. Ordered a pair in "excellent condition" from Music-Go-Round and they came in cracked and beat to hell. Returned them. Reverb has been a little sketchy for me lately.

Any of the following, new in box, immaculate condition:

PDP 805 6x10 popcorn snare, black with black hardware.
PDP 6x10 805.jpg

Or PDP 6x10 Blackout snare.
PDP 6x10 Blackout.jpg

Or PDP 6x10 Concept Series snare, black nickel over steel.
PDP 6x10 Concept.jpg

I browse occasionally, seeing if something grabs my attention. But actively searching for?

Every couple of months, I'll do a search for an old RadioShack instrument mic, 33-3032. It looks like it may have been made by Sennheiser, but thats not important. I worked for RS for a very long time, and have a sweet spot for the company. I had stopped playing many years before working there, and wasn't really playing when we closed all the company stores, so I wasn't really thinking about those mics at the time, when I could have gotten them really cheap.

In conversation with one of the leading sound guys in the area, and a dear friend, that mic came up as something he had for a backup. He felt it performed reasonably well for a tom mic.
I remembered them, and kicked myself for not scooping any up during the store closings.

I dont "need" any. I'd just like to have a couple in the mic box, just because. I saw one recently sold on Reverb. Saw one on CL, the guy wasn't willing to ship, as far away as I was to him. I'll keep looking, every now and again. Now it's a mission, lol.

Always searching broadly to see what's out there....
"Yamaha"
"Acrolite"
"Ludwig"
"Microtrak 303" Not drum related, but a beautiful vintage tone arm of which I have two partials and am seeking parts.

I worked for RS for a very long time, and have a sweet spot for the company.
I just put together a vintage Radio Shack stereo for my adult daughter. Years ago a coworker gave me a pair of the now somewhat legendary Optimus LX4 speakers. I recently cleaned up the raised veneer and gave them the Black Dahlia mod. Paired them with a basic, but solid, older Optimus receiver. Beautiful little hi-fi that sounds fantastic!

I browse gear almost every day, but 99 times out of 100, I end up thinking I'm lucky I have almost everything I want.

For the 1%, it's usually something expensive enough that I choke.

I just put together a vintage Radio Shack stereo for my adult daughter. Years ago a coworker gave me a pair of the now somewhat legendary Optimus LX4 speakers. I recently cleaned up the raised veneer and gave them the Black Dahlia mod. Paired them with a basic, but solid, older Optimus receiver. Beautiful little hi-fi that sounds fantastic!
I've always been annoyed at myself for not grabbing some LX5s when they went on clearance. All those LX-series speakers were quite good.
Not that I need any more speakers, heh heh.

Back