What are you listening to right now?

Listening to my brother's new record a bunch-- John Bishop with Bram Weijters and Piet Verbist:

I can't let this slide-I've been listening to it last two days. My compliments to the Chefs! Your brother's drumming really makes the whole album (I'm surprised others haven't complimented his effort-just fantastic to my ear). Thanks for posting this Todd. I've been listening to it " a bunch" too.

Saw Nate Smith on Sunday so I’ve been listening to Fearless Flyers and this bad ass groove.

Chuck's the man. (y)
All his guitar licks were big band horn lines, so if you go in knowing that, his genius shines through even more.

Chuck's the man. (y)
All his guitar licks were big band horn lines, so if you go in knowing that, his genius shines through even more.
I'm a guitar player, not a drummer yet ( new guy, with a practice pad),
but in Chuck ( as I would discover, long after the fact, after finally getting into Chicago/Texas blues...)

what I'm heaing is 'sped up' T-Bone Walker, or Lonnie Johnson- style licks and phrases, which were like horn lines...
Or something!

Lot here (more than the title suggests.. Worth a Watch

I'm a guitar player, not a drummer yet ( new guy, with a practice pad),
but in Chuck ( as I would discover, long after the fact, after finally getting into Chicago/Texas blues...)

what I'm heaing is 'sped up' T-Bone Walker, or Lonnie Johnson- style licks and phrases, which were like horn lines...
Or something!
I believe it was in his biop where he talked about how everyone was saying how he was a great BLUES guitar player and he scoffed at that notion.
He grew up in the Big Band era, so all his heroes were horn players (Chuck was born in '26).
This effected the way he played guitar. He said himself, all the stuff he did on guitar, that people would talk about, was all based on the lines horn players would play in the music he grew up listening to.

My brother had this album. I still remember him showing me how to put the needle on the record CAREFULLY and how to turn it on and control the sound.
I thought it was all pretty cool and I loved the music. I must've been 3 or 4 years old...

I was dreaming this morning and Every Little Thing She Does is Magic (Police) was playing in my dream. The bass is just magical for me. But the tone of the dream changed a bit and brain radio switched to The Atlanta Rhythm Section playing She Knows All My Tricks. Maybe today is a "bass guitar" day? Can't argue with that!

I was dreaming this morning and Every Little Thing She Does is Magic (Police) was playing in my dream. The bass is just magical for me. But the tone of the dream changed a bit and brain radio switched to The Atlanta Rhythm Section playing She Knows All My Tricks. Maybe today is a "bass guitar" day? Can't argue with that!

...wait 'til The Who come on...

Back