What’s your most recent accomplishment when it comes to playing?

Just recorded a full-length album this past weekend. 9 songs of difficult progressive rock where nearly every song is in an odd time signature with multiple time signature changes, all recorded to a click. Nailed everything within 2 takes plus a handful of punch ins here and there. We recorded at Apogee Studio in Santa Monica, which has a vintage Neve console so my drums sounded really good! We only recorded drums in there, the rest will be recorded elsewhere. I can’t wait to get it all finished up!

View attachment 145441
View attachment 145442View attachment 145443

Wow, congratulations! Please let us know where we can purchase and hear the album once it's out. Did you use charts or memorize everything?

Wow, congratulations! Please let us know where we can purchase and hear the album once it's out. Did you use charts or memorize everything?
Thanks, I’ll definitely promote it here once it’s done, but at this point I have no idea when that will be. Could be sometime next year would be my best guess. Since this is for my band, I wrote all my drum parts and I never seem to have an issue with remembering my own parts. So no charts were needed.

If you want a preview of what to expect, I had posted a rehearsal room recording of one of the songs a few months ago. It’s a song I wrote where the groove is based on prime numbers. I explain how it all works in this thread, along with the rehearsal demo.

This past weekend, I worked WAAY too long on learning a little snare drum fill from this amazing country song. The fill is from 2:49-2:51. It’s a cool part, and I’m glad I took the time to learn it.

How about you? What’s the most recent thing you’ve learned?
Easily worth a weekends time to conquer it! Love those short tasteful fills that really add so much to a song.👍

I’m concentrating on left hand boot camp at the minute and starting to feel the benefits! :)
Hey bud, what exactly are you doing with 'left hand boot camp"???

Are you learning to play open handed a la Simon Phillips, or just improving an existing technique...?:unsure:🎶

Hey bud, what exactly are you doing with 'left hand boot camp"???

Are you learning to play open handed a la Simon Phillips, or just improving an existing technique...?:unsure:🎶
Improving existing technique! :D I was taught to play open handed and lead with both hands…currently fine tuning my grip and playing from the back of the hand…also playing unison stuff to carefully analyse both hands and iron out discrepancies…I want to play more dynamically and cleanly using minimal effort; you did ask!!:ROFLMAO:(y)

My most recent one is charting out 3 songs that are brand new to me.

My band is the house band for a local food bank fund raiser this coming weekend. We have 5 or 6 guests playing, a few of which are just sitting in our normal set list, some are doing pretty easy to follow blues songs. One guy in particular, however, does originals, so I've been learning his 3 songs. And it doesn't look like there will be a rehearsal with him prior to the gig. So, I want to be very familiar with them for Sunday...

I did a recent classic rock gig and only played time all night. Nobody noticed I wasn’t filling and the dance floor stayed full for almost all three sets. I noticed the band played more relaxed and in-time as well because there wasn’t any of that extraneous noise we’ve all come to expect from the drummer that makes everything sound nervous. I channeled James Gadsen and it felt great!

I did a recent classic rock gig and only played time all night. Nobody noticed I wasn’t filling and the dance floor stayed full for almost all three sets. I noticed the band played more relaxed and in-time as well because there wasn’t any of that extraneous noise we’ve all come to expect from the drummer that makes everything sound nervous. I channeled James Gadsen and it felt great!
Funny, I'd probably get fired for playing like you, but you'd definitely get fired for playing like me :)

This is a small one, but I used to be focused on hand drums, and I basically converted to traps a decade ago. Last weekend I got called in for a jazz/funk session, and after I said yes, they said “oh by the way we have a guy on traps, so just bring your congas and such.” What? Nooooo!!! I’m so rusty! But I went in and did my best, and they were all very complimentary afterwards, and they invited me back for next time. So that felt pretty good, and a nice surprise!

This is such a great thread, loving seeing all these wins, big and small!

For me it's been working on bossa novas. It's not a style I play often, and I can't do it well, but when called upon, I'd kind of fudge it and get through. But getting a basic, but 'proper' groove down has worked wonders for my playing in other styles, particularly for my feet. I neglected my left foot for years, but now it feels like it has so much more freedom and more independence

A year ago when I first went to the local jam I was very nervous and frankly scared to death. I'd never done a jam before but needed to learn how to play with other musicians. This week, I was the lead drummer at the jam. Wow. I've come a long way and it's very humbling. And I'm eager to keep learning and progressing.

Before I moved, I was dangerously close to mastering different shuffle beats. And now I’ve had 6 weeks off playing and I still can’t get into my house to live, so that all went to hell.

Before I moved, I was dangerously close to mastering different shuffle beats. And now I’ve had 6 weeks off playing and I still can’t get into my house to live, so that all went to hell.
6 weeks off playing?!:mad:
Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

:ROFLMAO:(y)

6 weeks off playing?!:mad:
Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

:ROFLMAO:(y)
Well it’s letting me get reacquainted with the bass, which is my money instrument, so that’s probably a good thing. But I do miss playing drums, and I only expect that to get worse once I get this Acro I bought.

Back