Walk this way - need advice on technique

cpl_hicks

Hi folks I need your advice please on the correct approach to this song.

My main issue is with the cow bell. I have it positioned on the bass drum so it's central to me.
The difficulty I have is knowing the correct way to play this. I'm finding that I have to play the hi-hat with my *left* hand, in order to keep the cow bell beats going on each beat.
This is completely throwing me as in most songs the hi-hat is played with the right hand.

I've tried the other way around, but this means I'm playing the cow bell alternately with left and right hands, while keeping the snare going on the off beat - also a bit tricky for me.

I'm wondering which is the recommended way to play this.

After looking at a couple of youtube videos, none of these people seem to be playing it completely accurate to the original song.

After a couple of hours practicing left handed hi-hats I'm starting to get the hang of it. Think I'll leave the cow bell where it is.
I'm loving this track!

The easiest thing to do is move the cowbell to your left side and play the quarters on the cowbell that way - that way it will free-up your right hand to do the over stuff - which is the open hi hat bark on "one" - eighth notes on the hihats (except when hitting the snare on 2 and 4) and hitting the snare on 2 and 4 like I said.

I am assuming we are talking about the drum part during the (infamous) guitar riff???

Now, you can reverse it and hit the quarters on the cowbell with your right and do the rest of it with your left. This is a little more challenging of course if your left isn't developed.

I am not sure why you said there is an off beat on the snare, I don't hear that. 2 and 4 only.

The part is "mimicable"...but keep in mind, I think the cowbell is overdubbed on the record. Good luck!

You can also play the 8th notes of the hi-hat with the left foot, so you can keep the strong backbeat on the snare and the quarters on the cowbell.

Back