Vintage Ludwig Interior Paint Job

SwiftZephyr

Hey everyone, I was hoping some of you vintage experts can shed some light on this. I recently purchased a 1968 Ludwig Gold Sparkle and looks to be near mint or at least in excellent condition. I inspected the shell and the interiors and the paint job looks to be suspiciously too perfect. I noticed the inside of the grommet/air vent hole of the 12" tom has a tiny bit of paint. Was this normal for Ludwig to get some paint in there or was this a re paint job?

I can provide pics of the interiors later if anyone wants if it helps. Any help would be much appreciated

It could be legitimate, try removing a lug to see what it looks like underneath.
Some pictures would be a help.I assume this is the white painted interiors correct ?

img0252ed.jpg

img0262s.jpg

img0267ti.jpg

Paint inside grommet/vent hole.

img0268zq.jpg

Grommet/vent hole from the interior.

I have a 1963 Ludwig set and mine looks like that . I'm the orginal owner also bought it brand new it had the date writen in side.

Well mine doesn't have the date stamped in either the rack tom or bass which also was a factor that led me to believe that it was painted over. I thought the drum would have some of the paint chipped off, but would you still venture to say that it is completely original and untouched?

I would hazard a guess this has been repainted.The date stamp should still be visible.

Yep, that's a paint over.

If the drums are cool, and you're keeping them to play......"who cares?" would be my reaction to owning them.

"Collectors/buyers" would probably care, but if it's for your own kit to play and enjoy... I say play and enjoy them!

Would love to see the whole kit--I have a soft spot for GS kits.

The owner of the company I work for has a mint set of '66 12-13-16-22. The 400 and everything.
It even has the older style double tom holder.
It's very cool.

Enjoy the kit!!

Yep...painted over.99.99% of the time the badge/grommet were put on the drum after painting.It will hurt the collector value of the drums so you have a restored players kit there.You should also check the serial # of the badges to get an idea of when they were made.Still...vintage Ludwigs sound amazing.Good luck.

Steve B

Thanks everyone for the replies. Does anyone know if the re paint will affect any of the sound? Do I really have to remove the paint oo the bearing edges? The re sale value isn't a concern to me because I'm definitely keeping it.

I'll post some pics up soon in the Your Gear section. The wrap is in stunning condition. Literally no fading. The only thing bad about this is the re paint that everyone has pointed out.

Dude, don't sweat the paint, if you haven't bought already, do so right now.

See how they sound before taking the paint of the bearing edges. I've seen some Luddy with painted bearing edges and some where the factory sanded off the bearing edges. I think either sounds great.

No SN on that style keystone badge=1960-1963. Serial number would be on top of the crossed drumsticks, lots of dating guides easily found online. Just know if there's a SN, it's 1964-1969 (started using B/O badges in 1969).

Back