Two Tom Mics into One XLR Input?

McShmoopy

Hey all just a quick quesion, before I buy my mics just wanted to see if this was possible, my micing setup is going to be 1 overhead, snare, bass so that leaves me 1 spare XLR input. Now... Im just thinking that toms dont really need much work as the overheads pick them up quite nicely, what if I could put my only rack tom and floor tom into the same channel? I imagine they will pretty much need the same EQ'ing and panning. Plus it would save me having to buy a new mixer when I wanna mic everything up :D

What are your opinions about this?

Thanks

You could "Y" them, but then you have no real control over either drum. If the toms happen to sound great to each mic, cool. But with the differences between a floor tom and a rack tom, that's usually not the case. You're better off with a mixer where you have better control over balance and at least some EQ. Then it's okay to put them on the same track if you want.

Bermuda

You can buy a four channel mixer used for about $50.
That will allow you to EQ the tom mics.
Probably better off going that route.

You don't want to go too cheap on a used console because the electrical circuitry is the really important thing. I haven't been impressed with anything less than something like a Mackie VLZ mixer for micing up drums only because the circuitry can't seem to handle it. So Bob's recommendation of Combiner might be good if you don't want to invest in too much money.

You can buy a four channel mixer used for about $50.
That will allow you to EQ the tom mics.
Probably better off going that route.

Thats what Im getitng, a Behringer Eurorack, standard micing procedure for a 4 mic input (As far as I know) is 2 overheads, bass and snare. However my cieling is oddly shaped so im using 1 overhead for convenience and to stop phasing issues, bass and snare are being miced so I figured I may aswell see if I can slap both my toms into the last input.

This will do it for you.
There may be less expensive ones but I am familiar with this one.
http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...ducts_id=20208

Yeah this looks like a product I would want, I found a Stage Line one for about £20 as im in the UK, but many thanks!

Tell me where I went wrong. I have an M-Audio 2 line mixer that uses XLR connectors. I bought a pretty expensive Y connector and tried putting one mic for the bass drum and then the two overheads into the Y and then into the mixer and ruined the mixer. any clues?

Tell me where I went wrong. I have an M-Audio 2 line mixer that uses XLR connectors. I bought a pretty expensive Y connector and tried putting one mic for the bass drum and then the two overheads into the Y and then into the mixer and ruined the mixer. any clues?

Where you running phantom power through the "Y" adapter? Was the "Y" a balanced adapter?

Dennis

As bermuda said, it won't be perfect!
The ultimate goal is to have enough inputs for every mic. That means using a mixer like Bo Eder recommended.
Drums are the hardest instrument to mic and record.
One condenser overhead will be OK.

It's not really possible. The options for doing so are more expensive than buying a new mixer with a couple more channels. You can't splice the cables or anything, and any 2 to 1 preamps that you buy will be more expensive than simply buying a slightly larger board.

I'd consider just putting up a second overhead if I were you, instead of the tom mics. Or, get another board.

I agree w/ Caddy about the overhead. They hear toms nicely. Individual mics aren't necessary for a basic capture. 2 well positioned overheads, good kick sound, good snare sound....good to go. Less gear, Less headaches, all the results.
The overheads hear the toms quite naturally, like your ear would. If you don't muffle, overheads capture the overtones in good proportion compared to close micing. If you muffle, then close micing would be preferable IMO

If you are using this for live, overheads are the way to go IMO
If this is for studio recording, and you really want to close mic, get more inputs.
Studio recording would work just as good w/ the overheads, it's a great way to mic a kit.

As long as you have a good volume balance between pieces (cymbals not to overbearingly loud, nice popping snare), your toms should sit in the mix nicely w/ overheads.

Back