To port or not to port...and where?

This is exactly what I do. In addition, I also like the hole to sit between two lugs. IMO, the batter head has a better feel when the reso has been ported.

If doing a port offset to side and bottom, you definitely have to locate it between two lugs to get an even tension when tuning.

Why must I own? Relative to thread about porting bass drum?
well three things. non-ported bd is all the way thru- the 3 cds (they're on youtube) every tune and 3) It's new Orleans style like Herlin (Herlin may have been after Idris with Ahmad) and if you thought you danced before just wait

😁

well three things. non-ported bd is all the way thru- the 3 cds (they're on youtube) every tune and 3) It's new Orleans style like Herlin (Herlin may have been after Idris with Ahmad) and if you thought you danced before just wait

😁
Yup - Idris is about 18 years older than Herlin. Thanks, JDA. I'm adding them to my Tidal.

Reactions: jda
I'm just weird, I guess, but the bands I play with say I sound best when the batter head is ported right in the middle.
Not weird at all, @single-ply! It’s a great, familiar sound that’s on a million recordings and fits in a mix of instruments like one of them round pegs (like how Forrest Gump fit in the Army).

Last edited:
I had a bass drum that's got a lovely attack without a front head, but it will sustain a pitched note that gets into the way of the bass guitar. The dampening could be necessary to reduce that.
Either way it's a valid tone, as long as it fits the music. It may be wise to have a full, offset-ported, centre-ported, and big-ported heads in handy to fit different musical scenarios.

• Like!!
Reactions: RVC
Back