the much awaited yammie maple custom here here!

yeah uncredible... very good choice of cymbals and drums ...

Superbat, and Jay. B, thanks for the kind words. You guys both also have some neat set of buckets, there!!

I need to update my pics because I've got the toms and some of the cymbals up on a rack now. Also some new pies...Will post soon, cheers.........

A1DT, leftys rule, man. We keep all the jammers off our kits, dont we; )

Last edited:
Great looking set-up. Leo looks happy too. How's the Yamaha hardware treating you? How's the crash on that K Special Dry ride?

Great looking set-up. Leo looks happy too. How's the Yamaha hardware treating you? How's the crash on that K Special Dry ride?

Hey, Bossa, thank,yes, I'm pretty thrilled with the special K;

very controlled and defined ride, with many textures. To be nit-picky, if it had a teenie weenie bit more wash, I'd never look at another cymbal. It crashes nicely too, its got a pretty quick decay.

Yamaha Hardware... ummmmmm.. now how do I say this and still be a yamaha loyalist!?

I dont much care for the yess ball mount system. I've owned TAMA kits in the past , and this doesnt come close to the TAMA hardware IMO. Not as precise and not as rock-steady.
And Leo, hes the best. Loves hanging with me when I practice. Doesnt miss a single one......

Last edited:
Re: the much awaited yammie maple custom UPDATE!

just added a very light weight Manfrotto ( Italian made, $200 ) custom rack to the yammie rig.

with rack.jpg

trying to reduce the cymbal- stand forest around the kit. not all clamps loaded yet.. The bass drum sounds better without the toms sitting on it, or am i imagining it?

w rack 3.jpg

It moves a bit when the cymbals are being bashed, so maybe I need to fine tune the leg
balance, before putting up all the cymbals.......

w rack 2.jpg

the new pics are without flash so might give you guys a better look/feel of the finish

Last edited:
I have to say, this is one sweet looking kit.. Do you have any sound clips of it?

Cheers!

I have to say, this is one sweet looking kit.. Do you have any sound clips of it?

Cheers!

Thanks, danander. Unfortunately, this is the home kit, and I use an old TAMA imperial star to record, which lives in the studio. This is an incredibly sweet sounding kit. Sooner rather than later I'll make the switch, which will hopefully make for better drum sound.

Will post up mpegs as soon as that happens.........

You are a lefty. Ok, we can swap kits for a night or two. I won't tell your kit anything. Just don't get mine sticky. hahaha. I have a rockstar that is exactly like that. I actually turned the 12" into a floor tom, so I have three floors for it and I use just two others for rack. It looks really cool. I should take some picks for you.

as I said before Aydee, your finish is so unique and awsome, it's probably my most favorite finish on the forum :).

The bass drum sounds better without the toms sitting on it, or am i imagining it?

Aydee, I thought my bass sounded better without the tom(s) mounted on it, also.

Are you kidding? No debate from me. Your set is unique and awesome. A real beauty and rightfully the winner of Frank's "probably favorite finish on the forum" award! Joey

Coming from you Joey, thats something! I love your Dubs ( whatever that finish is called, ruby wine broken glass? ), and thats MY favourite kit on the forum.

XOPETH's Sonors are a very close second..

I'll stop drooling now.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's kit
!

honestly, first thoughts of looking at the finish....eww.

After a while it grows on you though! It's unique. Also, the pic with the boxer in it, you can tell it looks better at a distance. I bet on stage they look killer.

The bass drum sounds better without the toms sitting on it, or am i imagining it?

Aydee, I thought my bass sounded better without the tom(s) mounted on it, also.

Hey, Golions ! How are those brown fade beauties doing?Taking toms off really does make a difference. I'm pretty neurotic about drum sound, so it had me going there for a while.

My theory ( non-scientific, and semi-idiotic maybe ) is that a bass drum boom reflects off the mounted tom resos more if they are linked by hardware. So, therefore its a purer bass drum sound if without them. Sure, the proximity remains the same, but because you are de-linking the drums, they retain their own characteristics!

How was that for a physics discourse!

Hey, Golions ! How are those brown fade beauties doing?Taking toms off really does make a difference. I'm pretty neurotic about drum sound, so it had me going there for a while.

My theory ( non-scientific, and semi-idiotic maybe ) is that a bass drum boom reflects off the mounted tom resos more if they are linked by hardware. So, therefore its a purer bass drum sound if without them. Sure, the proximity remains the same, but because you are de-linking the drums, they retain their own characteristics!

What really happens is that the weight of the toms/extra hardware to an extent prevents the shell from vibrating as freely as it would without the extra weight pressing down upon it, resulting in an altered sound. Any sound waves that are hitting the resonant heads of the toms will continues to do in the same manner, regardless of if they are mounted on a stand or on the kick (assuming the position in reference to the kick remains the same).
The difference in sound is going to be only noticed when recorded, not when being gigged with a band.

What really happens is that the weight of the toms/extra hardware to an extent prevents the shell from vibrating as freely as it would without the extra weight pressing down upon it, resulting in an altered sound. Any sound waves that are hitting the resonant heads of the toms will continues to do in the same manner, regardless of if they are mounted on a stand or on the kick (assuming the position in reference to the kick remains the same).
The difference in sound is going to be only noticed when recorded, not when being gigged with a band.

thanks for the scientific correction, Oz! The difference is also in my head, but I'm a history major, so I'm sure you're right : )

Hey, Aydee. The MCA's are doing well. I just changed my hats to 14" K's. And, I just added a 6.5x14" Ludwig Classic Maple snare to my collection. Your kit looks great. Keep the pictures coming.

Hey Joeybeats! I just checked out your kit from your post. Man, that is beautiful. I liked the sequence of pics as you opened the boxes. That's a really nice looking kit. Bet it sounds great too. I know the black beauty sounds great, I used to have one and it ripped your face off. Enjoy my brother!!

Back