The most recorded drum set in history (link)

yep there was a thread somewhere.

Now, if one watches the Wrecking Crew movie, it would appear a blue Sparkle Ludwig is what he used in most of that footage from the 60's. I guess this came along next, for all his 70's work.

I'm surprised his timbale kit never gets much of a mention. Surely this must have been used on a hell of a lot of stuff in the 60's.

Cool idea, a travel kit before travel kits!

His snare on the wall of sound recordings is epic.

I watched both of those movies. Utterly fascinating. I loved the part in The Wrecking Crew where Tommy Tedesco recorded some really difficult guitar part for this band (I can't remember the band name) and the guitar player in the band had absolutely no idea what it was or how play it. He eventually came up with a very overly simplified version to play live.

You would think that you'd be able to pick out the style for these musicians. After all, most musicians sound like themselves when they play. I can pick out numerous drummers just by their style. Hal Blaine for instance, never sounded like Hal Blaine on those 80 million (+/-) recordings. He sounded like who ever it was who was supposed to be playing on the recording. Problem was, that whoever it was never sounded like the recording when they played live.

I never realized the music recording industry was so "Milli Vanilli." But it does make sense!

The only thing is there was no "one" set used by Hal.

In his book, he said at one point he had 5 different kits in use, going from studio to studio.

And when he developed the monster concert tom kit, he had at least two of those.

One of the concert tom kits in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum.

Back