1973-11-03
FM Broadcast

Joe Farrell: ts, ss, bs, fl
Joe Beck: electric guitar
Herb Bushler: bass
Steve Gadd: drums

Gadd Solo with Joe Farrell / Joe Beck Group live 1973 in Berlin
mp3 vbr R3mix - 6mb

Gadd news: New Chick Corea cd is out: The ultimate adventure cool stuff:)
something like Mad Hatter, The Leprechaun

enjoy

tomgadd

I simply LOVED his insanely addictive grooves at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert in '89 (or a little earlier?) when playing altogether w/ Weckl and Colaiuta and he simply provides, "gives the beat" for them!. Amazing. Not the best technically speaking (I really think he's not very fast and not technically amazing nor has great chops, but his insanely beautiful and mastered/creative grooves more than make up for it. Have a good/happy Gaddish Groove playin'! : )

can't agree..."he's not very fast and not technically amazing nor has great chops"... are you kidding?
man, gadd has a superb technique, of course he's fast when needed and chops...oh man,,,
i don't know no drummer with more chops than gadd....
his disco speaks for itself:)

CadaveR (Ivo) said:
I simply LOVED his insanely addictive grooves at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert in '89 (or a little earlier?) when playing altogether w/ Weckl and Colaiuta and he simply provides, "gives the beat" for them!. Amazing. Not the best technically speaking (I really think he's not very fast and not technically amazing nor has great chops, but his insanely beautiful and mastered/creative grooves more than make up for it. Have a good/happy Gaddish Groove playin'! : )

I love Gadd's style. His set up is simplistic yet practical, he has a very interesting approach to his music, and he certainly doesn't overplay. He actually has my favorite set up, only I would prefer more cymbals and some percussion. If anyone know the dimensions of his drums please send me a message or post it here.

One thing I noticed: Although his hands don't, Steve's body moves a lot when he plays, possibly because he is "getting into it".

- Marc

"Not the best technically speaking (I really think he's not very fast and not technically amazing nor has great chops,"

you're joking right?

It is good to see that people seem to get Gadd's musicality and his taste - but - some folks seem to think that this is all he's got and that is why he so well known. I am mystified as to why. Yes his musicality and innovation and taste are outstanding but so is his technique and so are his "chops." It is almost bizaar that on a drummer's forum anyone would have to defend Gadd's chops. Chick Corea commented that the most amazing thing about Gadd is that his technique is "perfect." Few would disagree (even though I know Stu Strib believes he holds the sticks too far away from the fulcrum - and Stu's prior history of posts gives his opinion some credibility).

I can only think that those who post such opinions are unfamiliar with the vast body and range ofg Gadd's work.

Mystified in Tampa

Ok, I will start off by apologizing for rambling. There are a couple of stories I remember reading about Gadd that are relevant to the recent posts about his abilities and his making an occassional mistake. I will paraphrase these articles to the best of my recollecttion. If anyone knows a better version, I would appreciate your corrections. In one article, Steve was asked if he practiced. His response was something to the effect that he practiced on his set in the basement sometimes and that sometimes he had good days and sometimes he had bad days. I know that feeling well. There are days that I play when I feel like I can do nothing wrong and there are days that I wonder why I even try to play the drums. That makes both Steve and I human. That is why I like his drumming, because it is played with feeling and not robotically. This may not have always been the case with Steve. The second story involves when Steve was young and playing in a big band, I guess in the Rochester area. The band leader always got onto Steve because he was always spot on with the score. One time after a song, the leader laughed because Steve was off during most of the song. In looking at the sheet of music he was reading from, Steve found that some coffee had spilled on the music blotting out one note. Steve played the whole song from that point one quarter note off.

I tried watched his dvd, 'Up Close' but was unable to finish it because the guy was either really tired or just a really bad speaker. Totally unwatchable.

I'm not a Gaddhead and so far from what I've heard/seen, I really can't see why people bow down to him so much.

If someone can please list his...let's say 5 best drum parts (besides the obligatory Steely Dan songs), I'd appreciate it.

Zardoz said:
If someone can please list his...let's say 5 best drum parts (besides the obligatory Steely Dan songs), I'd appreciate it.

Ouch..

I don't see why we must leave Steely Dan out , but if we do... Most of the stuff he's done either with Al Dimeola or Chick Corea is... well... pretty good.

50 ways.. is not bad either.

He's played on a few other records as well...

http://www.drstevegadd.com/discography.htm

But to each his own.

Paul Quin said:
Chick Corea commented that the most amazing thing about Gadd is that his technique is "perfect." Few would disagree (even though I know Stu Strib believes he holds the sticks too far away from the fulcrum - and Stu's prior history of posts gives his opinion some credibility).

I would disagree. Steve Gadd is an awesome groove drummer, but his technique is far, far from perfect. His left hand fulcrum is indeed miles too far back, even worse than Weckl back in the late 80s. If you ask Weckl for his views on that grip these days you'll get a nice understanding of why that's a big technical problem - it severely reduces the amount of rebound you can get.

Gadd is also generally speaking kind of tense, and his balance seems kind of funny. But he manages to turn all of that into some of the most amazing groove playing ever. I just wouldn't ever come close to describing him as a technique master. Watch some of Gadd's videos, then watch Joe Morello for a while and spot the difference!

Re: An Honest Gadd Question

Listen to drummers and how they played before Gadd hit it big.

Listen to drummers and how they played after Gadd hit it big.

I think your answer is right there.

His licks are subtle, yet amazingly difficult. They sound like they have no "chops" built into them, until you try to replicate the sound yourself. Even Dennis Chambers falls short on the live version of Aja.

The guy has a word named after him: "Gaddism".

That speaks volumes of his style. I wish I had my riffs named after me.

Re: An Honest Gadd Question

finnhiggins said:
Listen to drummers and how they played before Gadd hit it big.

Listen to drummers and how they played after Gadd hit it big.

I think your answer is right there.

Also, carpediem930, buy the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert with Weckl, Vinnie, and Gadd. Listen how unsettled the band sounds while Vinnie's playing, particularly in the second song when he really starts going to town. Appreciate how rushed it all sounds, a bit like it's all going to fall apart at any moment. Not comfortable viewing at all. Entertaining, but uncomfortable.

Now, look at the faces of the band members when Gadd walks on stage. See their smiles? See them all relax? Then listen to how great the band sounds with him in comparison to what's gone before, and how much better the guys solo over Gadd. He gives them the space and comfort to let them excel, rather than trying to be Mr Uber-drummer. Gadd's performance may see less impressive that Vinnie's or Weckl's, but in that context it is so much better.

CadaveR (Ivo) said:
Bernhard - Don't get me wrong Mr. Bernhard, I love Gadd's stuff but (as everybody else) he's no perfect... just some personal observations from me... didn't want to make fun or disrespect anybody here... I also have deep respect for you who created this fantastic drum site and make so maaaaany fantastic drum videos available for free for everyone who's interested in getting 'em. :)

Womble - That's it Sr. ;-)

Besides his (Gadd's) fantastic Grooves, his playing seemed to be rather simplier when compared to the insane amount of knowledge being shown off by Vinnie Colaiuta and Dave Weckl... sometimes he finnishes off with something rather too simple for my taste, but, other than that, his Grooves and body movements/excitement are amazing. That's what makes him an outstanding drummer, imho.

- Ivo.

Ok - CadaveR - and thanks for the compliments

What I tried to say is this:

If you are a very good drummer and you really work on the Weckl and Colaiuta things - you put them to sound and it works.

The Gadd Grooves and licks seems very simple and easy (....compared), you can play them pretty soon, BUT YOU DON'T BRING THEM TO SOUND LIKE STEVE!!!!

One point perhabs: yes, he really is not very innovating these last 15 years. Perhabs adding some double bass, that's it.

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
he really is not very innovating these last 15 years. Perhabs adding some double bass, that's it.

Bernhard

I wouldn't change a thing. He is one of the top living drummers in the world. Keep doing what works!

With that said, I would go for a bit more of an updated tom-tom sound if I were him. My non-drummer wife even commented that they sound like "wet cardboard boxes". I was so proud of her!

Paul Quin said:
I truly disagree with several of these posts. Gadd has a better technique than just about anyone. He has better and more chops than just about anyone. He is more innovative and imaginative than just about anyone. And there is no-one more musical and more solid.

Remember, however, that just because you can do stuff, however, doesn't mean you should. That is what makes Gadd such a great drummer. He always does what is necessary for the song and no more. There are many musical cliches which have more than an essence of truth: One particularly appropriate for Gadd is "it's not what you put in its what you leave out."

For those who are unsure about his technique and chops listen to some of the stuff he has done with Chick Corea and Chuck Mangione as well as some of his solo work with the Gadd Gang. For his inventiveness and ability to stay within the pocket listen to some of his work with Rickie Lee Jones - even stuff like Chuck E's in Love is absolutely masterful. Most people are familiar with 50 Ways and with Aja (both of which are remarkable pieces) but there is so more.

He has playing at an incredibly high level for years and years. Even his work with James Taylor (check out "October Road") is truly an artist at work. And all this for a man whose first hit was playing on the Hustle!

I think he is a "deep" player and the more you listen to him the more you learn to appreciate his playing and his overwhelming musicality. Comparing Drummers is never a useful exercise but I believe there is no one better, more musical or more versatile.

Just my opinion, but one shared, I suspect, by many who are members of the "been playing more than 20 years club."

Paul
Well said Mighty Quin.
This is what makes Gadd so special.
I have seen four of my top five drummers of all time play live, Buddy,Billy Cobham, Steve Smith and Harvey Mason, Hopefully I will see Steve live sometime soon.
A true living legend.

He is EASILY the most technical drummer at all time. And he grooves too. Oh yes, he grooves.

Dannar said:
I don't think anyone has posted this video yet, it's a really cool video with him playing brushes.
Nice! Dr. Gadd kills with those brushes. Once again he plays what's appropriate for the music and yet adds his signature sound.

Back