The Latest - Pearl Masters MCX

Pearl make good quality, solid, good-sounding drums at good price points. I think most of the Pearl-bashing comes from the Export series (which were always decent for their price point, well made at least) and the ISS hardware that has plagued their lower-series kits for years and years. They've made a couple of blunders in the past that has dampened the general brand reputation even though their drums are as good as anybody elses'. Personally, Pearl don't do it for me - but I can see objectively that it is a superb kit and equal to any other on the market.

Other than the ISS blunders, the rest of their hardware is absolutely top-notch.

Probably way before my time. They're still using ISS mounts on the low-end stuff, what was the issue w/ them, exactly? They look cheap to me but on the other hand, I really like the Optimounts. It's my favorite mounting system and I would be using them on the Unix kit I have, if the lugs would allow it.

I guess that's true of any company...it takes great time and effort to overcome the mistakes of the past.

The ISS mounts pull directly on the tension rods - which can over time pull the shells out of round. At the very least they make head changing a pain and can alter the tuning when the drums are mounted on them (assuming you tune with the toms unmounted). All in all a rather flawed design - the optimounts are a good system and the new ones are infinitely better looking than the old ones (which were just far, far too big). The ISS system is out of date - simple as.

But of course your new kit has none of those issues. So it's all good!

That's awesome man!

You gotta set it up with both bass drums and take a pic though! Would look great.

Thanks! I'm on vacation as of tomorrow...then I'll have some time for that. I haven't sold it yet for that reason, so I could goof w/ it and get some pics.

Zambizzi has created a new fan club. "Pearl Masters of the Universe"
the club motto "I have the PEARL!"

or something like that.... :)

Can you guys give me some advice? I have a similar configuration: virgin 22" bass, 8, 10, and 12" rack toms. I just can't figure out the best way to mount these. Having a 22" bass seems to get in the way. It's just frustrating.

Is it a bad idea to try to mount a 12" tom with a clamp off of a cymbal stand? For me, it's really wobbly.

I just need some setup advice.

Last edited:
Can you guys give me some advice? I have a similar configuration: virgin 22" bass, 8, 10, and 12" rack toms. I just can't figure out the best way to mount these. Having a 22" bass seems to get in the way. It's just frustrating.

Is it a bad idea to try to mount a 12" tom with a clamp off of a cymbal stand? For me, it's really wobbly.

I just need some setup advice.

Did you notice how I did it in my photos?

You don't need to spend the big bucks on DW 9900 tom stands, I actually have those left over from a DW kit I had, once upon a time.

I would get a Pearl T1000 tom/cymbal stand and a second T1000 double-tom stand (they're every bit as good as the T2000 but cheaper, IMO). Mount the 12" and a cymbal on the right-side and mount the 8" and 10' on the left side. Aside from a rack, it's the easiest solution. In fact, it's easier, there's much less hardware to haul around.

Hope this helps.

Yeah that does help. My mounts are different though. It's a Gretsch Renown Maple, so the mounts are L-rods. Will this still work?

So you're cheating on your Unix kit now? I can't believe it! How does she feel about it? If she's really upset she can always come over to my place, there's a place for her in my room.

Nice kit! Pearl makes great drums, and these look as good as they sound (I played a Pearl Masters a couple of times, a fine sounding kit!).

So you're cheating on your Unix kit now? I can't believe it! How does she feel about it? If she's really upset she can always come over to my place, there's a place for her in my room.

Nice kit! Pearl makes great drums, and these look as good as they sound (I played a Pearl Masters a couple of times, a fine sounding kit!).

We had a nice, long heart-to-heart...and she knows she's my baby. This is just a fling...something on the side. :)

We had a nice, long heart-to-heart...and she knows she's my baby. This is just a fling...something on the side. :)

Well, if you are going to have a fling it may as well be with a classy broad...on another note you should get help in that store of yours you may find a healthy profit in it!

Man, i've been sitting around for days deciding what finish to get... that is all that has been holding me back from ordering these bad boys. But You, sir, have helped me FINALLY make up my mind on which finish to choose.

Until recently, i was thinking of getting the bronze glass... and then i found out ITS A WRAP :(. Thats cool and all, but i want a lacquer. But now that i've seen the black sparkle fade in your photos, I'm way past that lol. For some reason the black sparkle fade looks really weak in pearls photos and i was kinda turned off to it, it looked more like a grey. Now i feel i can finally be completely satisfied with the purchase of an MCX, and now im going to be a total biter and order that exact setup minus the 8" (until next month lol).

Amazing set man!

Man, i've been sitting around for days deciding what finish to get... that is all that has been holding me back from ordering these bad boys. But You, sir, have helped me FINALLY make up my mind on which finish to choose.

Until recently, i was thinking of getting the bronze glass... and then i found out ITS A WRAP :(. Thats cool and all, but i want a lacquer. But now that i've seen the black sparkle fade in your photos, I'm way past that lol. For some reason the black sparkle fade looks really weak in pearls photos and i was kinda turned off to it, it looked more like a grey. Now i feel i can finally be completely satisfied with the purchase of an MCX, and now im going to be a total biter and order that exact setup minus the 8" (until next month lol).

Amazing set man!

Oh sure, go ahead and steal my drums. :)

I was definitely way more impressed once I took them out of the boxes...the finish wasn't anything like the terrible pics they're using in magazine ads. The web site comes closer but *nothing* compares to seeing it first-hand.

The lacquer is literally perfect. I couldn't find a flaw *anywhere* on these drums.

You will NOT be sorry w/ your purchase. Post pics when ya get 'em! Make sure to join the Pearl social group, too.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/group.php?groupid=26

Amazing set man!

Wait, these are wrapped? Or lacquer? They look like lacquer to me...

Back