Tama SLP Wood Snares

Hey guys,

I've been searching around the interwebs for some good affordable snare drums. I haven't seen plenty of reviews for the Tama SLP Fat Spruce since it's relatively new so I'm not sure how good it is. The G-Bubinga was supposedly the most versatile of the wooden SLP snare drums so I'm not sure how the Fat Spruce would compare to it.

I'm leaning towards the G-Bubinga since a lot of sites seem to put it as one of the better affordable snare drums. Any thoughts?

Side note: This isn't Tama but has anyone had any experience with the Mapex BP Velvetone?

The Fat Spruce is a fantastic snare drum! I picked one up shortly after they debuted. I had mine tuned low for the longest time (definitely fat!) and decided to tighten it up recently with great results. The wood grain on each drum is very unique and is absolutely gorgeous, wonderful Tama quality fit and finish throughout. I know the G-Bubinga has been around for a long time and I've experimented with tuning at some stores. I'd say the Fat Spruce is a little warmer and has more body to my ears. Another SLP to check out is the Classic Maple if you get a chance. Good luck with your search!

I've got several Tama snares, and two SLP models: Dry Aluminum (LAL1455) and the SLP G-maple Ltd. Edition snare (LGM1465-SMT). I've not tried the Fat Spruce, but what I can say is:
  • Spruce is considered a tonewood. It's gonna have its own sound, and it'll be pleasing, not harsh.
  • They're made in China, and the quality level & control is great.
  • They use the MLS50A/MLS50B strainer/butt, which I find are very smooth and secure. Same kind of "swipe on, swipe off" mechanics as the Ludwig P85 but much better.
  • The tube lugs are a nice visual touch, nice change from the usual Tama lugs.
  • Being an 8-lug snare, you can easily swap out the die-cast hoops for other types (brass, steel, wood) more sonic options.

I don't think you'll regret the purchase. But bear in mind that once you've danced with the snare for several years, you'll want to try others, too. It's a natural path for drummers to have/use different snares for different musical needs. So, don't think you'll be "stuck with it" forever.

Attachments

• SLPAluminumSnare.jpg
    SLPAluminumSnare.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 382
  • Tama SLP G-Maple.jpg
    Tama SLP G-Maple.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 386
I haven't liked what I've heard of the Fat Spruce drums - they have a kind of... annoying midrange to them, to me. Too throaty, and I'm not a die-cast hoops person. If you are, you might like it!

My absolute favorite out of the SLPs is the G-Walnut. That thing takes any tuning like a champ and had the dry, full timbre to work at low tunings and the thickness to crack at high tunings. Huge fan. I've been waffling on getting a Classic Maple too. (I'm a big fan of the Sound Arc hoops.) The G-Bubinga also seems like a great wood option.

So, I guess what I'll say about the Fat Spruce is that you probably want to hear it in person before buying it. It definitely sounds *different* than most general-use drums to me.

The Fat Spruce is a fantastic snare drum! I picked one up shortly after they debuted. I had mine tuned low for the longest time (definitely fat!) and decided to tighten it up recently with great results. The wood grain on each drum is very unique and is absolutely gorgeous, wonderful Tama quality fit and finish throughout. I know the G-Bubinga has been around for a long time and I've experimented with tuning at some stores. I'd say the Fat Spruce is a little warmer and has more body to my ears. Another SLP to check out is the Classic Maple if you get a chance. Good luck with your search!

Hey thanks for the reply! I already have a Mapex Black Widow so I'm looking to get a wood snare that isn't maple. It's great to know that I can't go wrong any of these choices especially since the Fat Spruce lives up to its name.

I've got several Tama snares, and two SLP models: Dry Aluminum (LAL1455) and the SLP G-maple Ltd. Edition snare (LGM1465-SMT).

I don't think you'll regret the purchase. But bear in mind that once you've danced with the snare for several years, you'll want to try others, too. It's a natural path for drummers to have/use different snares for different musical needs. So, don't think you'll be "stuck with it" forever.

Those snares look absolute stunning. The Dry Aluminum is definitely on my wishlist. I've heard a lot of positives about it especially for its price compared to other high quality Aluminum snares.

I haven't liked what I've heard of the Fat Spruce drums - they have a kind of... annoying midrange to them, to me. Too throaty, and I'm not a die-cast hoops person. If you are, you might like it!

My absolute favorite out of the SLPs is the G-Walnut. That thing takes any tuning like a champ and had the dry, full timbre to work at low tunings and the thickness to crack at high tunings. Huge fan. I've been waffling on getting a Classic Maple too. (I'm a big fan of the Sound Arc hoops.) The G-Bubinga also seems like a great wood option.

So, I guess what I'll say about the Fat Spruce is that you probably want to hear it in person before buying it. It definitely sounds *different* than most general-use drums to me.

Well, it looks I'll be checking out the G-Walnut as well. I'm not sure if walnut is as all-purpose as maple or bubinga but based on your description it seems like the G-Walnut has served you well for all sorts of situations.

Last edited:
Aluminum is a phenomenal snare drum metal for sure. Wasn't sure if you were specifically looking for a wood drum, but aluminum is not too far sonically and can serve pretty much every studio role. I use an Oriollo Phantom 55 pretty much constantly.

Yes, its tone was a huge surprise to me. So much I made a comparison with its older cousin here.

And here’s a recording revealing its sonics when mixed with a cacophony of other sounds.

Aluminum is a phenomenal snare drum metal for sure. Wasn't sure if you were specifically looking for a wood drum, but aluminum is not too far sonically and can serve pretty much every studio role. I use an Oriollo Phantom 55 pretty much constantly.

I will definitely put Aluminum on my radar now. I'm probably going to get either the G-Bubinga, G-Walnut or Dry Aluminum depending on which one I can find a good deal for. I don't think I can go wrong any of these choices.

Back