Super Sensitive snares...worth it?

I played Ludwig percussion instruments for about 6 or 7 years during school.
But you never played or owned a Super-Sensitive.

Compare swapping out snare wires on the Super-Sensitive to doing the same thing with a Gretsch Lightning (or any other non SS) throw-off. Go ahead. I'll wait.

But you never played or owned a Super-Sensitive.

Compare swapping out snare wires on the Super-Sensitive to doing the same thing with a Gretsch Lightning (or any other non SS) throw-off. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Wow, you really like this drum aye? Nope, never owned one, never will. I would NEVER spend that much money on a drum that has obvious set backs.

Does anybody see the Super Sensitive snare drum as a major improvement or unnecessary? I'm going w/ unnecessary/not worth it.

I have a 1979 Ludwig Supra SS 6.5 x 14. I paid $100.00 USD for it used at Sam Ash like 6 years ago. Turning the snares off is problematic, as the strainer handle doesn't stay put so I can't play it snareless unless I secure the position of the strainer handle with something. I'm not sure that the sound difference is worth the extra hassle of the SS strainer. Was looking for others experiences/opinions.

If you don't like it and would like to trade and or sell it I would be interested.

Ludwig as many know here has dropped the Supersensative from its product line , Which is a shame IMHO . I liked the sensitivity of drums with this particular strainer . I have never owned one a few people I know that have one , swapped out the Supersensitive strainer for a P-85 ( not sure if that is an improvement ?).

I'm not sure how it would help my BB, which I love for orchestral stuff btw, but I've certainly appreciated options like multiple strainers on some of the orchestral snares I've played. Many of them had an SS type setup.

Only actual SS I've ever played was just a little bit and it wasn't set up well, so...

I think it depends on your use and on the drum.

Hello! I have one of the super sensitive drums ... the sound is lovely..the beat is crisp and the tone is warm..I'm happy about it!
my drum mid 2000 i think... bought it for $ 150 in the local market

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 19
I know the price is unrealistic ... that's why I bought it)) ... there was a bag in the box ... for many years I have never seen drums like this on sale here

Last edited:
I know the price is unrealistic ... that's why I bought it)) ... there was a bag in the box ... for many years I have never seen drums like this on sale here

One to take to the grave, congratulations once you learn how to tune one it will always be your favorite.

Back