Steve Morrison

Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

Steve, Thanks for taking the time for us! Got a cymbal durability question.

It's time to replace some 1970's Avedis Zildjians, which has been holding up best/longest for you, the 19" mediums or the 18" projections? I hit 'em hard too, so it would be great to get some input from a cymbal punisher. LOL

Also: How does Tommy keep the fun in playing? Or does it become just a JOB when you play as many datesa year as he does?

Later,
Dick

PS: I may be over in Tulsa later this month to catch the show & do some photography if I can get lined up with the promoter. I'll stop by & say howdy!

hey steve...you said you and tommy are workin on some new stuff, any chance you guys are gonna bring anything out for the Richmond VA show?? ill be there, looking forward to hearing you guys...i have heard some great stuff about the show, and im really excited... cant wait!!!

tj

ElvinBaRkerDennis13 said:
hey steve...you said you and tommy are workin on some new stuff, any chance you guys are gonna bring anything out for the Richmond VA show?? ill be there, looking forward to hearing you guys...i have heard some great stuff about the show, and im really excited... cant wait!!!

tj
The drum solo last night was rewritten in a few spots. Other than that, we haven't launched anything else yet... Thanks to Shane(Vibra Slap'd) for answering questions when I'm offline for a few days. I'll try to be back on soon!!!

dlester said:
It's time to replace some 1970's Avedis Zildjians, which has been holding up best/longest for you, the 19" mediums or the 18" projections? I hit 'em hard too, so it would be great to get some input from a cymbal punisher. LOL

Like Steve said, the band is faced with a tough touring schedule right now. I know Steve misses spending more time here... and I know he will, when the tour is over in April..... hell I dont get get to chat with him much anymore!!! LOL

As far as the Cymbal question..... the 19in Z medium seems to take the biggest beating b/c of the location on the kit and amount of use. But the 18" projection is a close second. I would say... it's a wash....I would say that he breaks 1 of those 2 cymbals every 2-3 shows the others seem to last a bit longer. And the Hi-Hat takes a bad beating as well. Steve always has an extra top hi-hat (which is really a bottom) in a clutch and ready to drop on.

Tommy crushs all of his gear... the cowbell I have is completely wasted. Steve will have Tommy hit one side for a show or two, then flip it over and use the other side. It is almost crushed closed before he takes it out of the line-up. The Ahead sticks can also deliver quite a beating....

Let's all hope Steve and T finish up strong on the tour.... here are the remaining dates.... if you are near by.... GO HEAR THAT DRUMSET! Tommy, Motley and Steve, will not let you down!!!

3/13/2006 Roanoke VA , United States Civic Center
3/15/2006 Atlanta GA , United States Philips Arena
3/20/2006 Mexico City , MX Palacio De Los Deportes
3/22/2006 Monterrey , MX Arena Monterrey
3/24/2006 Houston TX , United States Toyota Center
3/25/2006 Jackson MS , United States Coliseum
3/26/2006 Baton Rouge LA , United States Baton Rouge River Center
3/28/2006 Huntsville AL , United States Von Braun Arena
3/30/2006 Tulsa OK , United States OK Convention Center
3/31/2006 Lincoln NE , United States Pershing Auditorium
4/1/2006 Sioux Falls SD , United States Sioux Falls Arena
4/3/2006 Winnipeg , Canada MTS Centre
4/4/2006 Saskatoon AB , Canada Credit Union
4/5/2006 Red Deer AB , Canada Enmax Centrium
4/7/2006 Prince George SK , Canada Prince George CN Ctr
4/8/2006 Kelowna BC , Canada Prospera Place
4/9/2006 Victoria BC , Canada Save-On Foods Center
4/11/2006 Red Deer , Canada Enmax Centre
4/12/2006 Lethbridge , Canada Enmax Centre
4/13/2006 Regina , Canada Brandt Centre

PS--- Steve convinced me to try the HART Pro Trigger pads.................. WOW..... If any of you are using Roland V-Drums or Pintech.... go try the Harts.... WAY BETTER!!!

First let me say that I thought I was going out on a limb when I wrote to Steve and asked if there was anyway my son and I could attend sound check or some other more private event other than the concert at Richmond ( we already had 2nd row seats ). He responded within hours to say he would call me on the day of the show to see if he could work something out. Waiting anxiously all day Saturday we never heard from Steve, as excited as we were we figured he's just a busy man. Immediately after the concert we saw Steve moving trap cases over to the drums, after screaming his name a couple of times he came over to us, apologized for not calling and said he was short on help and asked if we could come up and give him a hand tearing everything down. My son and I put Tommy’s’ cymbals and hardware away and I got to put the 32" kick in its case. Wow!

Steve, what you did for us Saturday night may not have meant anything to you, but it meant everything to us!
Thanks, you're a cool guy!

Carl & Corey (Corey said thanks again for the sticks!)

negativeattitude said:
First let me say that I thought I was going out on a limb when I wrote to Steve and asked if there was anyway my son and I could attend sound check or some other more private event other than the concert at Richmond ( we already had 2nd row seats ). He responded within hours to say he would call me on the day of the show to see if he could work something out. Waiting anxiously all day Saturday we never heard from Steve, as excited as we were we figured he's just a busy man. Immediately after the concert we saw Steve moving trap cases over to the drums, after screaming his name a couple of times he came over to us, apologized for not calling and said he was short on help and asked if we could come up and give him a hand tearing everything down. My son and I put Tommy’s’ cymbals and hardware away and I got to put the 32" kick in its case. Wow!

Steve, what you did for us Saturday night may not have meant anything to you, but it meant everything to us!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! See Steve is the man!!! I even offered to help in Richmond!!!!!! He said he was ok.....

Just so you know, there is no sound check with the band, the tech's all do line checks on the gear and thats it. With todays computerized sound boards, they get most of the levels they need in rehearsals and then tweak them for each arena.

That 32" kick is a monster.... but all and all it's pretty light.... Glad Steve hooked ya!!!

Vibra-Slap'd said:
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! See Steve is the man!!! I even offered to help in Richmond!!!!!! He said he was ok.....

Just so you know, there is no sound check with the band, the tech's all do line checks on the gear and thats it. With todays computerized sound boards, they get most of the levels they need in rehearsals and then tweak them for each arena.

That 32" kick is a monster.... but all and all it's pretty light.... Glad Steve hooked ya!!!

Yeh! He did that! ......Great experience!

Thanks for the info!

STEVE HELP! the sounds tommy uses with the triggers...choppers for girls girls girls, bell in looks that kill, and i think some of the sounds for his solo are from the methods of mayhem cd...how do you get just those sections and put them to the triggers???

MotleyKid43 said:
STEVE HELP! the sounds tommy uses with the triggers...choppers for girls girls girls, bell in looks that kill, and i think some of the sounds for his solo are from the methods of mayhem cd...how do you get just those sections and put them to the triggers???

I know Steve is on his way to Mexico right now.....

I don't think that Tommy would be willing to "share" his trigger sounds..... but if you read back, you'll see that Steve "makes" his samples via Quicktime.... You should be able to grab some files like Tommy's and dump them into your sampling unit....

Vibra-Slap'd said:
I know Steve is on his way to Mexico right now.....

I don't think that Tommy would be willing to "share" his trigger sounds..... but if you read back, you'll see that Steve "makes" his samples via Quicktime.... You should be able to grab some files like Tommy's and dump them into your sampling unit....
I appreciate the attention to my schedule, but I am available to answer questions anywhere in the world. I will not be able to give MotleyKid the exact samplesI use, but I can explain how it is done. As Shane explained above, I do create the samples from SoundDesigner II files then export them to Quicktime and then dump them into my ddrum3 via S/PDIF and sample them real time into the onboard sampler. All of the sounds for Tommy, specifically the Wildside "pipe" and Girls "chopper" sounds are taken directly off the master tapes that I have copies of. Any other questions, hit me up; I'm always available for you guys!!!!!!!! Peace out from Mexico City!

negativeattitude said:

I'm really gald we got to meet up; thanks for getting my attention! :) Hope you enjoyed the experience!! Much Love! Steevo

Wow, what a brilliant thread!

Hi Steve. Just wondering wether you and Motley Crue will be making an appearance at Download Festival, England in June? Fair enough if you can't tell me as there's no official announcement, but just thought it would be one hell of an addition to the bill. Sorry this wasn't about drumming, but just thought I'd be cheeky and ask.

Thanks alot, and keep up the good work mate.

SubZeroCK said:
Wow, what a brilliant thread!

Hi Steve. Just wondering wether you and Motley Crue will be making an appearance at Download Festival, England in June? Fair enough if you can't tell me as there's no official announcement, but just thought it would be one hell of an addition to the bill. Sorry this wasn't about drumming, but just thought I'd be cheeky and ask.

Thanks alot, and keep up the good work mate.
I haven't heard anything yet about us playing Download. I think the only gig we have across the pond right now is the show in Dublin on June 6th. I'll let you know if I hear anything! Late!

im jarrod lackey im 15v years old i have tommy's same drum set up. i was wondering, over the 32 inch bass drum is the rack tube one tube, or is it a curved bar with a clamp attatching it to a small bar where the cymbal is next to the hi-hat.any info on it would be great

thank you

Jarrod lackey

I read this on another forum:

"After playing multiple MÖTLEY CRÜE shows wearing a brace and taking anti-inflamatory injections, drummer Tommy Lee's doctor instructed him to give his injured right hand wrist a break after his tendonitis made it difficult for him to perform. Tendonitis is a common and painful injury for drummers who pound the skins with great force. MÖTLEY CRÜE has played to over a million fans this year in over 100 shows of their wildly successful Carnival of Sins tour.

MÖTLEY CRÜE will have another drummer covering Tommy Lee's shift for tonight's (April 5) performance at the Enmax Center in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada: Harvey Warren, drummer of the local Canadian band, BRÖKEN TÖYZ (web site), who cover MÖTLEY CRÜE songs in their show every week.

Instead of canceling their show, MÖTLEY CRÜE decided to give a fan a chance and share the wealth of rock stardom, reaching out to the drummer after a reference from the House of Blues promoter. Drummer/vocalist Harvey Warren spends his day managing a local Starbucks and moonlights for the rock tribute band BRÖKEN TÖYZ as well as serving as a founding member of Calgary band ONE NINE HUNDRED. When called by the promoter of the show while working at Starbucks, Harvey thought it was a joke. After some convincing, he realized it was true and accepted, but was sworn to secrecy. He immediately left work and told his coworkers, "Something happened that will change my life but I can't tell you until tomorrow!" "I'm scared to death," said Warren, "but this is a chance of a lifetime." "

Wow! Really? And, more importantly, where does the line form?

masonni said:
No joke! I can do Motley tunes, stick spins and all! I'll even fly out and be in any city in 24 hours!
I'll tell Tommy--- wait until to you guys see who subs for him tonight!!! Harvey did a great job for coming in with no rehearsals. He was a joy to work with... I'll post after tomorrow night's show! Late!

Vibra-Slap'd said:
I have a question.........

For heads on the Hart pads.......... should I get the KS Magnum heads? Or would you recommend a different head?

Let me know dude!
use the KS Magnum heads... they work awesome and don't wear out for months and months.. I've only changed the ones on T's kit once!

Hi Steve! Greetings from Russia. Glad to see you here. I saw performance CRUE in Moscow in 1989. It was cool, especially when Tommy has crushed the drums. Recently I have bought CARNIVAL OF SINS DVD. A unforgettable show.
I have question, if possible: you sometime played with Tommy a duet? If played, what songs, or solo? As about arrival Crue to Russia for the show?
Transfer Tommy, that Tommyland - an excellent album. One of my faworite last time.

Thank you,
Sasha

Back