Staying in the Pocket

Truth: In drumming terms, I have no idea what "the pocket" is.

Could it be like a groove? ;-}

Really, I think "in the pocket" is a phrase people use just for the hell of it, to make it sound like they know what they're talking about. I've never known what exactly it's supposed to mean. The meaning seems to change according to whoever's saying it. In other words I think it's very subjective.

I wonder who first came up with it.

Really, I think "in the pocket" is a phrase people use just for the hell of it, to make it sound like they know what they're talking about. I've never known what exactly it's supposed to mean. The meaning seems to change according to whoever's saying it. In other words I think it's very subjective.

I wonder who first came up with it.

lol. i think it's just that you don't understand it and therefore think its something that people make up for the hell of it.
i suppose it could be subjective, but i don't think it is.

ontopic: my gf made me something similar as a pouch for ear plugs/drum keys/alen keys/moongel etc. might have to buy one of these though, my one is purple and it totally kills my cool factor.
nice idea, i wonder how much it is to ship the UK.

Truth: In drumming terms, I have no idea what "the pocket" is.

Truth: I don't think anyone really does.

I think they do on a personal level, but it's a variable......it's a combination of many things. When I refer to being "in the pocket", to me it's more of a 'feeling' I get from certain situations rather than a tangible concept that's easily expressed. The best way I could define it is 'when everything just clicks'

Could it be like a groove? ;-}

When I refer to it, it would be in the context of a groove more often than not.

I know what I mean, but that may not be easily expressed as an idea......more of a feeling I get. As for subjective?? I wholeheartedly agree mate. Very true indeed :)

Grunter, It's just dawned on me that this is a hijack......in any language. My humble apologies sir. Perhaps it's a topic for it's own thread.

Kind of reminds me of a bigger version of the mini-emad pads. (which are a heck of allot smaller!) Seems like with the size it would get in the way. Not something I'd get, too many other options out there if you really want to get rid of overtones.

I am sure his use of "in the pocket" only applies to "I need a catchy slogan".

I've seen worse ideas. I hope when he sells a couple of these he will invest in a better commercial.

More interested in the Play Doh shirt he has on ha ha.

This is from Wiki, but in this context it is a play on words as to using your wallet, which is in your pocket, for muting. Pretty comical also for filming in front of all of the noise.

From Wiki...Pocket drumming is when a drummer sits a groove so deep and never lets the tempo waver, creating a comfortable pocket for the rest of the band to play in, it is falsely labeled as an easy thing to do, however very few drummers can pull it off, and it takes a talented band to create a deep pocket. The drummer can not be held solely responsible for the time. I have personally seen some of the best drummers pocket groove's destroyed by inexperienced musician's. Check out James Brown or the Meter's for this style of playing.

The first tone controls, or muffling devices were attached to snare drums and bass drums externally on the hoops and appeared in the early 1930’s.

Leedy introduced an internal muffler or tone control for snare drums around 1934 that was attached to the drum shell.

Around 1935, Leedy and Ludwig & Ludwig were using a redesigned version (pic 1) up until around 1950. Leedy & Ludwig used Pic 2 control until around 1952, when Pic 3 was introduced.

Slingerland's 'Tone Flange' produced 1928-1933 pic 4/5

Its difficult to come up with something new, the drum sets been around for over 100 years now.

Last edited:
IDK I liked the sound better w/ the overtones. The thing is, when the bass and guitars and other instruments are playing, the overtones get swallowed up and your drum sounds like it's supposed to, lively. When you muffle it, it might sound better to some all by itself, but really it sucks the life right out of a drum when played in context. I wish I could remove that mindset that overtones are bad.

OVERTONES ARE THE BEST PART OF THE DRUM SOUND!

IDK I liked the sound better w/ the overtones. The thing is, when the bass and guitars and other instruments are playing, the overtones get swallowed up and your drum sounds like it's supposed to, lively. When you muffle it, it might sound better to some all by itself, but really it sucks the life right out of a drum when played in context. I wish I could remove that mindset that overtones are bad.

OVERTONES ARE THE BEST PART OF THE DRUM SOUND!

I agree with larryace, I don't muffle anything. I believe it does suck the life out of the drum, and you are "containing" the best part of the drum sound.

I think it depends on the style. I don't like to muffle either, neither snare or toms, and if possible not even my (22") bassdrum, let alone cymbals. But sometimes for example a short, "dead" snare sound just fits and sounds great.

And don't forget: a Steve Jordan gets a lot of praise not only for his groove and taste, but also for his sound. And all who know his work with John Mayer know he experiments with a lot of snare sounds, among them very dead ones too. He does so even live, as seen on live Mayer footage, he tends to switch snare or even drum kit for almost every song :).

Muffling drums are like....well....a......condom.

Let em ring!

The pocket is what it is. Feel it and play it. C'mon ; )

K

Back