ST vs ST Dry vs Emperor

ADKLco

Hey guys, I currently have an HD Dry on my snare and it sounds great :) but i'm looking to try out some different heads. Right now, i'm stuck between the ST, ST Dry, and the Emperor. If you have used any of those 3, please let me know their pros and cons. Thanks!

Right now, I use an ST Dry on my birch Yamaha Stage Custom 14x5.5 snare and that thing CRRRACKS when I lay into it. Nice depth when tuned medium, Im not much of a ghost note player, but it does have decent sensitivity when I need to play at low volumes. There was a G2 on there when I first got it(Emperor equivalent) and it wasnt to my liking. It was way too ringy. Im not a ronging snare kinda guy, though, to begin with, but the ST Dry does get rid of enough to not deaden the drum a lot, but enough to get rid of too much ring, if that makes any sense.

Compared to the HD Dry, anything you put on the snare is going to have more ring.

The ST Dry is similar to the HD Dry, just a little more open sounding due to the lack of the overtone ring. The ST and the Emperor are pretty similar; two 7.5 plies vs. two 7mil.

Of the three I'd choose the plain ST. It has a more open sound and more tone compared to the HD Dry. I don't think the ST Dry is different enough to be worth trying if you're looking for something new, and I'm just not a big fan of Remo's standard white-coated heads.

I'm going in the other direction....I have an Emperor and I'm looking at the ST dry or HD dry. I'm looking for that extra "oomph".

I have used all three. I admittedly DO NOT like dry heads. I've tried them, and the sound just isn't to my liking. That ST head sounds quite good, though, as does the coated Emperor. Either of those would get my pick.

Back