Soultone Cymbals?

Hi Lengo and all others,

I just received a Set of Soultone Cymbals most of them from the Moffet Series:

The story:
I thought about some new cymbals some time ago. Then i saw the Michael Jackson film"this is it" and i heard his drummer Jonathan Moffet playing his signature Soultone Cymbals and they sounded really cool. So i looked it up in the internet. And there again i saw the videos of all Soultone series. For me i found the Moffet series the best and i now i have them and i`m not disappointed.
As i`m from Europe and there is no dealer arround, it took contact with Iki the owner of Soultone cymbals. At last it was no problem. I got the cymbals directly from the factory in turkey. In comparison to e.g. Masterworks cymbals they were much cheaper. For my it doesn`t matter in which factory they are made (Soultone has it`s own stamp now)

The main reason for my to decide for Soultone was the same one as Jonathan Moffet says on his interview on the video: Soultone has it`s own voice. I mean, i don`t won´t to sound like 90% of all drummer.
And there is anoster thing. Soultones offers an idividual personalization. That means they make your name, logo or signature on the cymbals. Thats really cool.

So my rate:
You were two times impressed by the 16" extrem Crash: So wheron do you wait? Buy it

I don't sound like any other drummer, and that Moffet bell is the shit :) You can quote me on that ;)

luckly i have the answer for your question (i am an endorser of soultone)
the prices for the cymbals are the same for each line ,exapt the fxo line,
memphis drum shop sells them,prices are

rides
18- $486
19-$522
20 -$558
21-$594
22-$637
24-$679

crashes

13-$307
14-$343
15-$379
16-$415
17-$451
18-$486
19-$522
20-$558

splashes

12-$257
11-$236
10-$214
9-$193
8-$171
7-$164
6-$149

chinas

24-$749
22-$699
21-$651
20-$615
19-$572
18-$537
17-$494
16-$458
15-$415
14-$379
12-$286

the fxo seris ,like the sabian's ozone are more

hats

16-$666 -- oh no!!!
15-$587
14-$515
13-$465
12-$429
10-$386
their is also a sig. line the moffet seris,
(drummer for micheal jackson)
they are also more for example a 22 ride is $764

idk if this was said b4, but i found them for cheaper, and yes, on a buy-it-online site.
http://stores.cymbalismmusic.com/-strse-1610/Soultone-Extreme-Series-Cymbals/Detail.bok
there ya go. hope it helps :)

There are currently a few Masterwork cymbals on eBay for a decent price. Check them out.

I actually have a friend that uses (and he is endorsed by Soultone) the Gospel series. If you honestly don't like them, that's perfectly ok, but I honestly think the Gospels and the Extremes sound the best.

I am an endorsed Soultone artist as well.

Here's my setup:
- 6" M Series Bell
- 6" Extreme Splash
- 10" Extreme Splash
- 12" Extreme China/13" FXO Crash stack
- 13" Gospel Hi-hat
- 14" Extreme Hi-hat
- 16" FXO China
- 16" Extreme Crash
- 18" Extreme China
- 18" Extreme Crash
- 22" Extreme Ride

Here's my vids with Soultones:
Setup and sound samples - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7BGv8u54VM

왜 이러니 (Why Are You Being Like This) by 티아라 (T-ara) Drum Cover - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt3jE8nAu48

Master of Puppets by Metallica Drum Cover - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXbXMQ93rI

We R Who We R by Ke$ha Drum Cover - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXAT0V0_yHk

Nobody by Skindred Drum Cover - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEDLc0a1dIw

Shout to the Lord by Darlene Zschech and Hillsong United Drum Cover - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkF9xtXV6SM

These are list prices. Nobody sells things for list, (same as MSRP, or retail). Things are almost always sold at around 40% off of list, especially in the drum biz. Soultone offers special pricing if bought directly from them, of 60% off of list. I have a Soultone price list, and their cymbals, (for all regular non-endorsed customers if ordered directly from Soultone), are all 60% off of the prices shown. I attached a picture with those prices.

rides
18- $486
19-$522
20 -$558
21-$594
22-$637
24-$679

crashes

13-$307
14-$343
15-$379
16-$415
17-$451
18-$486
19-$522
20-$558

splashes

12-$257
11-$236
10-$214
9-$193
8-$171
7-$164
6-$149

chinas

24-$749
22-$699
21-$651
20-$615
19-$572
18-$537
17-$494
16-$458
15-$415
14-$379
12-$286

the fxo seris ,like the sabian's ozone are more

hats

16-$666 -- oh no!!!
15-$587
14-$515
13-$465
12-$429
10-$386

5wjxgg.jpg

Dang! Lucky me, huh!? A friend of mine is selling me his Soultone 14" brilliant custom hihats with his bands logo on it, which I don't mind one bit, for $120. What a deal. They're some of the best sounding hats I have ever heard.

I have a pair of the 14" Extreme vented hi hats. To me, they sound pretty good. Got the set for $50, and for the price, figured I could afford to experiment. The bell and the outer edge are unlathed (is that the right term? They still look hammered and aged), while the rest is lathed and all polished. Probably could use a good cleaning, though... Sound is pretty good, I suppose. I upgraded from a Zildjian ZBT/ZXT combo, so it still sounds good to me, lol. I find it to have good stick definition, a good chick when operated with the foot, and pretty washy when played half open. They aren't too bright, though. At least, to my untrained ears, they sound darker than the ZBT, but still good.

Seems to be an awful lot of "endorsers" in this thread. What's the deal there?

To my eyes this is one of many artefacts of the way cymbals are currently marketed. For the record, I'm not making any claims about any particular brand - but it's no secret that some companies are essentially subdivisions of a larger company - same workforce, same lines even (keep your eyes on the signatures on some of the different Turkish cymbals).

Some companies (again, naming no names) are supplied with OEM "blank" cymbals (blank in the sense that they're hammered and lathed to a specification and sold unbranded) and simply stamped with a logo. The company then claims "handmade", which in fairness they are, and markets a few lines of admittedly nice sounding cymbals. Handmade cymbals sound nice, no two ways about it - but for me it's all become a bit too formulaic, they're all starting to sound nice in the same way. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but I think it's just an interesting time for the market.

"Endorsement" or "sponsorship" deals coming from these companies make the buyer feel cool about 'joining the family' - sounds good right? Usually though it still costs the player to get the cymbals, just not as much as the tag states, and they get listed on the website and some social media posts. Fine. Then the lingo is bandied around - dry, trashy, tight, controllable etc.. and everyone feels great about the particular instrument they're playing, although in reality it sounds remarkably close to another instrument which has been described in other subtle, immeasurable ways and happens to come from the same factory.

Before anyone says it, yes I'm a cymbal-maker myself, but I have no vested interest in being a bit whiny about the way cymbals are currently 'consumed' - I make the things one at a time, if people want to play them then great. If not, great. I've been offered OEM lines but I'm not remotely interested in going that route.

Again, this is not an attack on any brand/s in particular - I'm aware this post is originally about Soultone, I'm not aligning any of the above to them or anybody else specifically! I've no doubt there's plenty of good stuff coming from the majority of companies currently operating, my point is more about the shifting pattern in manufacture and marketing.

I've just realised this post sounds a bit negative and aggressive - maybe it's because the country's currently falling to bits (along with much of the world), I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade - just my view!

I'm a big fan of cymbals labeled Soultone. I use a 22" Custom Series ride, a 19" Custom Brilliant ride that I mainly use as a big long crash, an 18" Sebbhar crash, and a pair of hi hats made up of an Old School 1964 bottom cymbal I use as a top cymbal, and a Vintage bottom hi hat cymbal I use as a bottom hi hat cymbal. Love love love them. Been using them since 2012.

Back