shuffle is hard...

I think the reason people have a hard time with this feel is that they're trying to make it using some kind of soft-loud compound stroke, which tends to be fatigue-inducing, and make the accents fall late, and is difficult to control dynamically and coordinate with the other limbs.

If you put a fast, deliberate upstroke with your wrist (not your whole forearm) before the major accents-- separating the two notes, instead of making them into one soft-LOUD stroke, it makes the shuffle really easy, and solves all of the above problems. You kind of have to get over the idea that you're a swinging guy who naturally plays great just by feel, and just execute the pattern. After you can simply play the right notes in time without your arm falling off you can start concentrating on refining it and making it swing for real. I've written a little more about this here.

Hi Todd,

Hard to visualise what you mean. Do you have a video showing the mechanics?

I think the reason people have a hard time with this feel is that they're trying to make it using some kind of soft-loud compound stroke, which tends to be fatigue-inducing, and make the accents fall late, and is difficult to control dynamically and coordinate with the other limbs.

If you put a fast, deliberate upstroke with your wrist (not your whole forearm) before the major accents-- separating the two notes, instead of making them into one soft-LOUD stroke, it makes the shuffle really easy, and solves all of the above problems. You kind of have to get over the idea that you're a swinging guy who naturally plays great just by feel, and just execute the pattern. After you can simply play the right notes in time without your arm falling off you can start concentrating on refining it and making it swing for real. I've written a little more about this here.

2 things:

1. Buy Charley Wilcoxon's Rudimental Swing solos.

2. Sit down with your favorite LONG MOVIE, and do open and closed Drags on a pad. Closed drags used to be called Ruffs. Do this for the whole period of the movie.

Listen to a ton of Blues shuffle, and have fun, I like Freddy King the best. Make sure you connect the music. I like to do a shot or 2 of bourbon (not recommended). LOL.

K

Back