Should I get this drum kit as a beginner?

It's definitely your choice in the end as to what you feel more comfortable with. Personally I'm not a fan of electric kits, but if that's what you like go for it. Try to think as to whether or not you are going to stick with drums though, if you have not been playing for very long, last thing you want to do is spend a lot of money on something you might not end up using in the future. My first set was a small cheaper one and it did me well for a few years and now that I'm sure I'll be playing for a lot longer I invested in something much nicer.

I think of the electronic kit as a practice tool. Great to play along with a click track or built in rhythms and cd's etc without driving your neighbors or family mad. You can play virtually anytime you want. But at this point I would not put that much money into an electronic kit as you will likely want an acoustic kit for playing live. Playing an acoustic kit is very different in terms of learning dynamic control and pulling the best and different sounds out of the kit.

This is not to say that you may want to stick with an electronic kit as your only one but you may be too early in your drumming career to know at this point.

Good luck and have fun!

I'm a big ekit fan and so I have no qualms. However, the cheaper ekits can feel pretty horrid especially the ones with hard rubber/plastic pads - so buy wisely.

Davo

I agree with the other guys saying to not spend so much money until your sure its what you wanna do. But drums are addicting, so i know youll enjoy them. Electric drums are a good starter, because you can wail around cluelessly on them without disturbing anyone. And over time, you can become very skilled at drums on then. Even in the future if you get a serious acoustic kit, electric sets are great for quiet practice. I got my start playing on one, and its good because when i had no idea what i was doing, nobody notices. With that said, i have a different suggestion for a set that much more budget friendly.

http://www.ospworldwide.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6542&idcategory=49

this is the link to an OSP DD502 mkII drumkit. Its a very high quality digital drumset. It comes with:
-4 drum pads(1 for snare, 2 for rack toms, and 1 for a floor tom)

-kick drum trigger with bass pedal

-hihat pedal(to switch your hihats from open to closed)

-3 cymbal pads(1 for hihats, 1 for crash, 1 for ride)

-drum module

-drum rack and hardware to set everything up on

-headphones and pair of drumsticks with drum key

I have this same kit, only the older mkI, yet mine is still great. The mkII is even better, and able to work with a double bass pedal. All the pads are velocity sensitive, meaning a light hit will result in a light sound, and vice versa. Theyre all very responsive and nice. What i love is that you can create 10 custom kits by giving each trigger one of the 215 different drum sounds available. Available drum sounds range from proffessional sounding kit pieces, to trashy drums, to a techno DJ drumkit. Its cheaper than the one you suggested, and i HIGHLY recommend it. I saw that yours was in euros, but it should be easy to convert online from dollars. In the end it comes down to you and your choice, were just here to offer suggestions, opinions, and advice.

Good luck and happy drumming

I was a big time e-drum hater after buying a cheap set a few years ago...I bought a Roland TD-4 and wow I am now a big fan of E-kits.. so buy wisely..they can be a great practice tool..I'm using mine at band practice now due to the guys wife just had surgery and can not take any loud noises..so we are running through the board into a headphone amp and after a couple weeks of this I might actually do a gig with this set..even though I have a dozen top of the line cymbals on my acuostic set..its that good!!

Back