Shot down by Mapex :(

Well, there are other European drum manufacturers too. Premier and Drumcraft are two of the big ones, and then there are a number of smaller custom builders as well.

Don't like Premiers new drum, nor Drumcraft. Geez, I'm too haughty...
Guru is something nice (hallos, Andy) and other exciting and exotic woody drums.

Why don't you ask for an endorsment, Sticks? You deserve one! :)

That is a regular Sku for Arctic White Saturn.
So it's not a size issue with the drum but a color/finish choice then? Have an outside source match the color and finish for you.

Car companies, clothing, etc play the same way. We are just dollar signs to EVERY company.

Obviously and unfortunately, they don't seem to agree.

Or it's simply the fact that they don't know about Sticks popularity on this forum, they're aware that he spend $14 000 on their gear, maybe they don't know about the free publicity they're getting from Sticks on this site and other sites and forums. Perhaps Sticks should explain this directly to Mapex management and maybe he'll get a more positive answer.

Over the years, I've propably spend nearly as much on Tama drums, but I never had any "special favours" from Tama, I had very good deals with the music shop owner, yes, and I managed to select some of my gears directly in the importator warehouse for Tama / Zildjian, but that's as far as special treatments is concerned.

Today, I am ashamed to be a Mapex owner.

Tomorrow, I'll be fine again.

I think brand loyalty meant something before everything was made in China and Taiwan. At least Sabians are still made in Canada, right? I'm going to build my own pro kit with American made drum shells, and it will be made in the USA (maybe not the lugs).

If your interested I know where you can have a pro kit built with no lugs so it will be 100 % American made.

Do what I do, get the president of the company's name and tell him or her what you need. I always go as far up the food chain as possible. The person in charge may not even know that his sales reps are saying no to these things. grrrr

And that short sightedness is what I am confused about.

Sticks, I'm sorry.. but.. do you really think that for a company the size of Mapex, $14.000 is "a lot" of money???? That's probably what they spend on electricity on a single week.

If tomorrow you sold your Mapex kits and bought some other brand, and spent your whole life bashing Mapex on the internet... do you think they'll lose so much money that they'll go out of business??

Hell no. They won't even notice it.

You said it yourself: Custom ordering is expensive, and that is not Mapex's market niche. You want special orders for yourself? Wanna be treated like a rockstar? Well, there are many manufacturers who can do that for you. But certainly not Mapex.

SO.. I get your dissapointment, but hey, that's the way it is. They didn't do anything wrong.

Sticks, I'm sorry.. but.. do you really think that for a company the size of Mapex, $14.000 is "a lot" of money????

That's probably what they spend on electricity on a single week.

You said it yourself: Custom ordering is expensive, and that is not Mapex's market niche. You want special orders for yourself? Wanna be treated like a rockstar? Well, there are many manufacturers who can do that for you. But certainly not Mapex.

SO.. I get your dissapointment, but hey, that's the way it is. They didn't do anything wrong.
Hey buddy. I am not really saying it is right or wrong. Just looking for some grey area. Seems the more advanced a company gets, the less flexible they get. Just a few years ago, they did stuff like this. I asked for a 6" tom for my arctic kit when I first got it. It was not a regular Mapex sku, but there other company that makes school band stuff, made the same Saturn shell in the size I wanted. They said they would do it because they had the shells already, and just needed to paint it white. I decided to go the different depth 8" tom route instead.

Hah. I predicted this in the ekit thread. It's Ludwig time for Sticks!
In the beginning I would of gone with anyone that made the thin Walnut/Maple shell that my Saturn has. :)

I personally would feel betrayed by Mapex.

I have no doubt that Mapex has reps employed to surf forums like this one in order to see what is going on.

No doubt, they would know about sticks and the amount of time and effort he has put into his drums.

C'mon Mapex....for goodness sake.

If your company ever goes under...it is customers like sticks who could get you back again...dont forget that we are your bread and butter

We are just dollar signs to EVERY company.
If you'd ever dealt with our company, you'd know that's not true. We turn away work quite frequently, but never because it's too much trouble to keep a customer happy.

Sticks, sorry to hear of your deflating experience, genuinely. It's gut wrenching when you've put so much faith in a product, to then have them disregard your efforts. That said, I think it's worthwhile contacting Mapex directly. Mapex may well have placed the decision in the hands of their distributor. Sales rep's are notoriously poor at delivering bad news, & typically blame another party for the decision. It gives them an easy ride, rather than taking it on the chin & having to justify themselves. I'm not saying that is the case, but it's worth a shot.

If all else fails, it's not too difficult for a good custom builder to replicate the finish with a similar shell. The one saving aspect to that route, is that the specific shell construction for an 8" tom is far less critical than it is for larger toms with a more distinct voice. If you wanted to be really picky, there are builders who will bespoke manufacture a ply shell.

If it were me, I'd forget the idea & just enjoy your kit as it is. It's not as if you're stuck for choice of kits with 8" toms.

If your interested I know where you can have a pro kit built with no lugs so it will be 100 % American made.

That's cool. I'm on a very limited budget right now. This project is a future project and I think I can find some vintage lugs perhaps. Right now I have two projects going with old Pearl drums (made in Japan, btw).

To be honest, I have my preferences like anybody, but until somebody pays me money to endorse their product, I am loyal to nobody and I'll play whatever suits me at the time. Right now it's vintage Pearls.

If you'd ever dealt with our company, you'd know that's not true. We turn away work quite frequently, but never because it's too much trouble to keep a customer happy.

Sticks, sorry to hear of your deflating experience, genuinely. It's gut wrenching when you've put so much faith in a product, to then have them disregard your efforts. That said, I think it's worthwhile contacting Mapex directly. Mapex may well have placed the decision in the hands of their distributor. Sales rep's are notoriously poor at delivering bad news, & typically blame another party for the decision. It gives them an easy ride, rather than taking it on the chin & having to justify themselves. I'm not saying that is the case, but it's worth a shot.

If all else fails, it's not too difficult for a good custom builder to replicate the finish with a similar shell. The one saving aspect to that route, is that the specific shell construction for an 8" tom is far less critical than it is for larger toms with a more distinct voice. If you wanted to be really picky, there are builders who will bespoke manufacture a ply shell.

If it were me, I'd forget the idea & just enjoy your kit as it is. It's not as if you're stuck for choice of kits with 8" toms.
Hey buddy. I have no doubt what so ever that if I was dealing with a company like yours, this would not even be a topic. I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat here. I have more drums than anybody should. This just kind of took me back a bit. Made me remember who I was to them in the grand scheme of things. I won't loose any sleep over it. Just didn't think it was going to be a hard thing to accomplish. In my pre-medication days, I might of been on a plane to Taiwan. Look out! :)

they may not "owe" you anything and maybe $14k is small peanuts to them but I bet you are one of their largest accounts for an indivicual and think of how many people own their kits, never go on the internet with pics, never play out and compare that to the agressive (is this term to agressive?) support Mapeex gets from Sticks and I would say that IF they were going to make an exception for any non-endorsed customer, it would be Sticks.

Did you make a stink about it and get a real answer as to why they wont? Can you buy a different shell and make one? Does the $14k include electrical tape?

they may not "owe" you anything and maybe $14k is small peanuts to them but I bet you are one of their largest accounts for an indivicual and think of how many people own their kits, never go on the internet with pics, never play out and compare that to the agressive (is this term to agressive?) support Mapeex gets from Sticks and I would say that IF they were going to make an exception for any non-endorsed customer, it would be Sticks.

Did you make a stink about it and get a real answer as to why they wont? Can you buy a different shell and make one? Does the $14k include electrical tape?
Hey buddy. Thanks for the great reply. The electrical tape puts me way over the 14 k mark. I buy the good stuff you know. :)

dude this is awful.
F*ck any drum company that doesn't help out their customers.

I may not have ever played a Mapex kit but I feel like I may as well have owned one for years with the amount of promotion you've given them on this forum.

This is why you go with custom drum companies (or buy a used kit for cheap and just use it), because at the end of the day the big companies really don't care. Just another serial number on their automated far east production line.

It's the same reason I buy organic meat from a butcher instead of buying mass-produced gruel from Tescos. Big business sucks dicks, hopefully there'll be a major shift in attitudes in the next decades.

Do what I do, get the president of the company's name and tell him or her what you need. I always go as far up the food chain as possible. The person in charge may not even know that his sales reps are saying no to these things. grrrr

This might work in the USA or even Western Europe, but you'd get laughed (or thrown) out the door just about anywhere in Asia, China and Taiwan included... FYI

Back