Saw a lousy drummer last night

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
On Sunday nights, I am part of a 3 piece house band that does an open mic Blues jam. Naturally I get to see the local drummers play, as they use my set.

I just thought I'd share everything that this one guy was doing to give drummers a bad name. Let's call him Dick. Now Dick is not a beginner, I wouldn't cut into a beginner.

First off, when the song was counted off, and Dick fell in, immediately the tempo dragged and stayed dragged. The time felt like it had a 50 kilo weight dragging behind it. The time wasn't bouyant and energizing. This was enough to kill the song right there, but that wasn't enough, Dick was out to really demoralize the tune.
Let's see, his bass drum was barely heard, more than I can say for his backbeat. Talk about your limp handed backbeat. Ugh. You could see the motion, (trad grip) but you couldn't hear his snare hits. His cymbals however were quite present. Not overly, thank someone, but enough to stick out in a bad way. His sonic balance was way off. No concept whatsoever of a popping snare and controlled cymbals with a good solidly played kick.

Way too many fills. Not even good fills, just..."Oh I'll do a (reverse) ascending tom roll in the middle of this verse, because technically, it will fit. No regard to the singer on mic, or the guy trying to build their solo. His fills were limp handed and unconfident to boot. The fills were a little louder than his backbeat, because unfortunately, you could hear them. Stupidly played flat flams (he used these a lot) at the most unexpected (not good sounding) places. Basically, he used 75% of the song so he could play all these stupid noodley fills. Needless to say the concept of groove hadn't yet occurred to this man. I'm thankful he wasn't a hard hitter or it really would have been atrocious.

The man was in his own world. The leader, a tall man who is a total pro concerning stage signaling, (and everything else) turned his entire body fully around to cue the drummer about an upcoming stop, (because he knew the drummer would be out to lunch) but the drummer wasn't mentally with the others, I think he was in Bora Bora or Uzbekistan or someplace. He missed the cues, and missed the stops. So the band takes another lap around the chord progression and they finally get this guys attention, and he did do the stops finally.

At this point, he was being laughed at by the leader, who was shaking his head and smiling as if saying "Ay yi yi" (Oh yeah, it's brutal. you'd better be able to pull your weight with this guy or suffer the embarrassment)

Just to give Dick enough rope to hang himself, the leader decided to give him a drum spot. The whole band stops at the appropriate time.

Nothing. Dead silence.

Dick didn't realize he was getting a spot. Finally after a very pregnant pause, he get's it and goes into this limp, crappy, thing...I don't know what you would call it, but it was as appealing as a fresh pile of steaming doggy poo. I just felt like wearing a dress afterwards lol

Then came the ending of the song, which of course he muffed and there you have it. He covered all the major pitfalls in one song. With 2 more to go! The man was a crash course of what NOT to do. Teachers could use a vid of Dick to illustrate the major pitfalls.

When I got back on my drumkit, my sticks started wailing on me, and my drums cursed me out lol.
This guy totally embarrassed the family.

Just thought I'd share, and remember...

Don't be a Dick.

He shows up from time to time. The guy is way out there. I had a conversation with him once. It was one of those conversations where you end up just walking away mid sentence because the guy was making zero sense. This guy was talking about a tangent of a tangent off the first tangent if you know what I mean. I was in the Eastern Standard Time Zone, Dick was in the Twilight Zone lol.

And yea, I felt like a returning hero when I retook the stage lol.

Peculiar: Don't tell anyone, OK? Our secret lol. Seriously the guy was so limp and fruity sounding. I am greatly affected by music I guess.

Peculiar: Don't tell anyone, OK? Our secret lol. Seriously the guy was so limp and fruity sounding. I am greatly affected by music I guess.

I won't tell anyone if you don't tell anyone what my username means. Just because you've worked it out doesn't mean you can give other people a head start! It's got to be EARNED!

Reminds me of a guy that shows up at a jam I frequent. Now before I start ranting I would like to place a little disclaimer here. I've only been drumming for one and a half years. So please realize that the following comments are from a beginner.

The drummer I know (at the jam we call him the space drummer) plays the most incomprehensible beats ever, totally out of time with little regard for dynamics and timing. Random crashes are hit at totally uncalled for times and the most ludicrous fills are played at any given moment. No groove, no feel and a total song killer. Even when free jamming this dude just can't make up his mind. One moment he'll be playing one beat at 100 bpm and the next he'll be playing another at 130 bpm (giving no indication as to when he'll switch of course). To make matters worse, he actually played in several bands (one being a reggae band even though I've never heard him play one single reggae beat). I can't fathom how they'd let him sit in for longer than one session.

To give the guy some credit though. His kit sounds amazing. At least he has some serious tuning skills. But when he plays his brain is on another plane of existence.

He shows up from time to time. The guy is way out there. I had a conversation with him once. It was one of those conversations where you end up just walking away mid sentence because the guy was making zero sense. This guy was talking about a tangent of a tangent off the first tangent if you know what I mean. I was in the Eastern Standard Time Zone, Dick was in the Twilight Zone lol.

And yea, I felt like a returning hero when I retook the stage lol.

I thought maybe he was having a bad day, but it sounds like this fellow isn't the sharpest cookie in the shed, no matter what he's doing.

i'm a new member, also i sound almost that way but honestly not that bad and i'm preparing for an event.how can i improve

The fact you've asked that question means you probably needn't worry about sounding like the person Larry mentioned.

i'm a new member, also i sound almost that way but honestly not that bad and i'm preparing for an event.how can i improve

If we're talking about jam sessions then my philosophy is simple. Play what you can play and don't play what you can't. What this means is that you should know the song before you sit down and keep the drumming simple and grooving. No flash, no big fills nothing that'll make you lose your pocket. Playing simple also means that you can pay closer attention to what the other musicians are doing. Depending on the jam session you might have to improvise a lot and this requires a keen ear and a good feel for the type of music you are playing.

You'll know you're doing good when people around you start bobbing their heads up and down and grooving to the music (or when they are forming a giant mosh pit in front of the stage). Good luck and have fun.

You gotta learn how to enjoy these guys....and know when to quickly get'em off stage!

I had one drummer that would get on my drums ( I hosted an open mic) and not only would he play the most out of control fills every 4 bars ,He'd also toss the sticks aside and grab a new pair. He did this the whole song,like He's going through napkins or something. I'd come back up after 3 songs and my whole stick bag is emptied all over the floor. Every time.

You sure this guy isn't a beginner? Sounds like he's hitting all the marks a beginner might hit (missing cues and such).

Great story telling btw!

And you think you're boosting the level of professionalism of the drumset world by berating this guy?

I'm sorry you should have had a private laugh and left it at that.

The guy is entertaining, I'll give him that. Not in a good way but still entertaining. I've been seeing him for about 3 years now. But it's OK. I remain respectful to him, except when he doesn't know whether I'm there or not. I was just illustrating the things that personally get my goat when seeing other drummers. They make us look bad. I shouldn't rag on him, but he put it out there.

So he was playing poorly, seemed to be off in Alpha Centuri and the band leader was laughing at him (rather than sacking him) ... hmmm, that all seems to add up to ...

Edit: on 2nd thoughts, if he's always untogether and doesn't make sense it's possible that he's schizophrenic. The untreated schizos I've met were hard to follow in conversation, their speech seemingly made up of unrelated cliches and catchphrases. Just a thought ...

Back