Sabian or Zildjian Cymbals

Re: Sabian or Zildjian Symbols

PAISTE, even though its not one of the choices. PAISTE is the way to go! But probably Sabian

neither.

I'm going to buy new symbols but I'm not sure whether I want Sabian or Zildjian. Which symbols (High-Hat, Ride, Crash) are better overall (durability, sound, etc.) and why? I need legitimate reasons, not just "Sabian because i like the way they sound", but something like "Zildjian because of the resonance of the soft ride symbol and the power of the crash". I need an answer that at least sounds fancy.

Thanks,
Wakacha

Quick answer for a quick question: the best are HHX. Check the signature if you wanna know why.

There is no ONE BEST cymbal. Just like there is no BEST drum.....or BEST drummer....or BEST stick.....or BEST pedal. They simply don't exist as such. It's all horses for courses. All of the top line drum, hardware and cymbal makers offer quality products. One is no more 'durable' than another.

There is definitely BETTER, like in Weckl and Garibaldi are BETTER drummers than you. Do you mind proving the opposite? Don't take it personally though, I'm just using you as an example. If every cymbal was equally good, why don't you all play with B8 and save the money for stuff BETTER spent.

It is if you choose your cymbals the 'old fashioned way'.......that is, to actually hit them with a stick before you buy them.

So many cats these days are buying sight unseen (or is that sound unheard?) from Musicians Friend etc. Personally, I'd never dream of buying a cymbal I haven't heard......but, the times they are a changin'.

I get your point, but it's also hard to just smack a cymbal in the store and get an idea how it will sound with your kit and playing with your band.

Quick answer for a quick question: the best are HHX. Check the signature if you wanna know why.

There is definitely BETTER, like in Weckl and Garibaldi are BETTER drummers than you. Do you mind proving the opposite? Don't take it personally though, I'm just using you as an example. If every cymbal was equally good, why don't you all play with B8 and save the money for stuff BETTER spent.

HHX are actually best, or is that just an opinion? This is exactly the sort of thing that my post was trying to show the OP. Everyone has an opinion and we all know what they say about them. Never confuse your own opinion with fact, my friend.

90% of the world's drumming fraternity is better than me mate......that's hardly a statement worth hanging your hat on, is it? Other than that, how would you like me to "prove the opposite?" I did actually stipulate "top line" gear......so to use your logic, who is better Weckl or Garibaldi?

Show me the real difference in quality and durability (not tonal diferences) between all of the top line cymbals. Use facts please......careful of that opinion getting in the way again, won't you.

I believe Paiste 2002's are B8, no? Believe me, there's no money saved there.

Last edited:

I get your point, but it's also hard to just smack a cymbal in the store and get an idea how it will sound with your kit and playing with your band.

It certainly is my friend, but at least you have some point of reference. Personally, I'd still take that form of trial and error over not hearing the thing at all.

I just think it's important, especially for newer or younger players, to develop their own ears as to what they like/dislike. You can't always get a true representation of what YOU like, by reading internet reviews or asking people on a forum. IMHO trying for yourself has always been and will remain the best way of experimenting. That's pretty much been the basis of my replies in this thread.

Last edited:

HHX are actually best, or is that just an opinion? This is exactly the sort of thing that my post was trying to show the OP. Everyone has an opinion and we all know what they say about them. Never confuse your own opinion with fact, my friend.

90% of the world's drumming fraternity is better than me mate......that's hardly a statement worth hanging your hat on, is it? Other than that, how would you like me to "prove the opposite?" I did actually stipulate "top line" gear......so to use your logic, who is better Weckl or Garibaldi?

Good one :)

If this conversation is to go anywhere we need to re-frame the question.

Of the Zildjian and Sabian lines, which of their szcyimmballs do you like best - and WHY?

What are the qualities of sound that appealed to you? In the context of which style/s of music?

I use Zildjian K's, K custom and A's. When I go out and spend 2 to 3 hundred on a cymbal.
I bring a cymbal from my set with so I can find a cymbal that has a similar tone that will fit
in with the rest. I have never tried Sabian cymbals before. I am sure they are just as good.
I grew up on Zildjian. I love the way they sound and I will stick with what I know.
I was at my local music store waiting for my kid during his guitar lesson. I was checking out
these cymbals called UFIP. They sounded great but were wicked expensive.

This question can only begin with knowing the style you will be playing.

I think what any musician needs to do is to decide what the sound is that they have in their head, and find that sound out there. That goes for drums, cymbals, etc.

A stroll through the NAMM show will prove to you that right now there are quite a few very high quality cymbal brands out there right now. Not just Z and S. You need to go out to the shops with your ears, meet a bunch of cymbals, and fall in love.

I'm going to buy new symbols but I'm not sure whether I want Sabian or Zildjian. Which symbols (High-Hat, Ride, Crash) are better overall (durability, sound, etc.) and why? I need legitimate reasons, not just "Sabian because i like the way they sound", but something like "Zildjian because of the resonance of the soft ride symbol and the power of the crash". I need an answer that at least sounds fancy.

Thanks,
Wakacha

sabian and zildjian are almost exactly the same.
both have pretty much the same things just with different names. often the choice of one over the other is based on the history of that person(always played/loved a certain sound), or players that influence them play that brand and they want the same sound.

or they're overly influenced by a majority opinion and don't choose to decide for themselves the sound they want and rather just believe what is marketed to them.

i think an approach that might help you is, listen to the records you enjoy and the drum sounds you like. think about what kind of attributes you want in a cymbal and then go to a drum store and hit EVERYTHING. regardless of brand so you can find something that comes close to the sound you have in your head.

i play bosphorus mostly, and use them for everything including rock. so for personal opinion's sake i'd say: small turkish hand made companies > big budget, big marketing campaign companies.

but all that really matters is you find the sound that you like.

Is see the OP is from WI, as I. Go to a large music store; my to favs are GC in Appleton and Interstate in New Berlin. Interstate has the largest cymbal room I've seen. Play them all...but be good to them :)

If you want to check out some cymbals that each company offers that are different sounding check these out. I am not really sure that Zildjian has a cymbal like any of the ones listed for Sabian or Istanbul and visa versa. These are some of the cymbals I've found that are outstanding examples from each company.

Cymbals to check out from Sabian:

20" HHX Evolution ride
18" HHX X-treme crash
20" HH dark china
20" HHX china
Jo Jo Mayer's hats (whatever that is)

Cymbals to check out from Zildjian:

20" K custom Hybrid ride
20" K constantinople Medium thin ride
18" K constantinople crash
18" A Custom crash
18" A Custom Fast crash
14" New Beat hi hats

Cymbals to check out from Istanbul Agop:
14" Turk hats
24" Turk Jazz ride

The main point of this post is to show that each company has some unique and very high quality products.

Last edited:
If you want to check out some cymbals that each company offers that are different sounding check these out. I am not really sure that Zildjian has a cymbal like any of the ones listed for Sabian or Istanbul and visa versa. These are some of the cymbals I've found that are outstanding examples from each company.

Cymbals to check out from Sabian:

20" HHX Evolution ride
18" HHX X-treme crash
20" HH dark china
20" HHX china
Jo Jo Mayer's hats (whatever that is)

Cymbals to check out from Zildjian:

20" K custom Hybrid ride
20" K constantinople Medium thin ride
18" K constantinople crash
18" A Custom crash
18" A Custom Fast crash
14" New Beat hi hats

Cymbals to check out from Istanbul Agop:
14" Turk hats
24" Turk Jazz ride

The main point of this post is to show that each company has some unique and very high quality products.
Mostly agree with those choices. I have HHX china and crashes. Check out the leopard ride too if you like dark & ping.

If you're on a budget, or even if you're not, but still want superb quality, I really can't stop raving about Murat Diril cymbals.

Of the Zildjian and Sabian lines, which of their szcyimmballs do you like best - and WHY?

What are the qualities of sound that appealed to you? In the context of which style/s of music?

The only Zildjians that appeal to me are K custom dark ride, K light hats, A custom crash, Armand ride/hats.

Sabian I've only played HHX and these are definitely better than anything Zildjian I owned, especially the groove ride and evolution hats/crash.

Why? Because Zildjians are stiff and bright, even thin K's except those mentioned, and Sabians are sweeter, softer and more sensitive. Overall more musical. If they weren't, I wouldn't have traded all my Zildjians for Sabian, would I. Sabians are the new Zildjians.

sabian and zildjian are almost exactly the same.

They are the same to you because you have never owned both. There's no Zildjian equivalent to HHX groove and HHX evolution, for instance. It's certainly not akin to K custom.

Yeah. Unless ya know what sound you WANT, figuring out what cymbals will be best just won't happen. I wanted loud, bright, shimmery, so Sabian AA/AAX for me. No clue what would be best for darker, meatier tones.

Has anyone addressed the little known fact that Sabian and Zildjian are owned by the same family, Zildjian?

I've been using both for years and have noticed differences and similarities. Currently I've been using Zildjian Hats and Ride with Sabian Crashes. Blasphemy?

Back