Remembering Freddie Gruber With Special Guests!

John DeChristopher

Drums Ambassador
I was joined by some friends and "pretty good" drummers, to remember our friend and drum guru, Freddie Gruber. Jim Keltner, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Smith, Dave Weckl, Adam Nussbaum, Bruce Becker, Mark Schulman, David Bronson, Jay Dittamo, Don Lombardi, Rob Wallis and Colin Schofield.

I hope you enjoy it. Please share and please subscribe.

This is Part 1 - Stay tuned for Part 2!

Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...hn-dechristopher/id1575100168?i=1000652562259

(now you know why the sharpest chicks go for the guitar players..)
these guys talk on and on and..
😁

Another gem John. I imagine this conversation was only possible because of your longstanding relationships with these folks. Thank you for using those connections to put together something really special to share with all of us.

Wow!! An all star cast. Coordinating this must have been a huge effort. I am glad that someone paid tribute to drum teachers.
By the way, is the syllabus of what he taught available anywhere?
Another gem John. I imagine this conversation was only possible because of your longstanding relationships with these folks. Thank you for using those connections to put together something really special to share with all of us.
Thanks guys. I appreciate it and am glad you enjoyed it.

Part 2 drops tonight at 8pm ET. Thanks again for your support!

Ive seen the first part and really enjoyed It!

30 years ago, Rob Wallis was actually my boss. I worked for DCI Music Video and Drummers Collective.
Freddy was frequently around our office, so I got to interact with him quite a lot. Fun character.

I'll never forget the time that he and Jim Chapin ended up in the same room together. They went at each other debating drum technique. For lack of a better way to describe it...Freddy insisted that drumming technique is all about "down," and Jim insisted that it's all about "up" (a "dance in mid-air").

If that doesn't make complete sense, don't worry. It didn't make complete sense to those of us who were there in the room either. That was actually part of the fun. To some degree, these guys spoke in riddles, like Yoda. That was especially true of Freddy.

Such great memories.

30 years ago, Rob Wallis was actually my boss. I worked for DCI Music Video and Drummers Collective.
Freddy was frequently around our office, so I got to interact with him quite a lot. Fun character.

I'll never forget the time that he and Jim Chapin ended up in the same room together. They went at each other debating drum technique. For lack of a better way to describe it...Freddy insisted that drumming technique is all about "down," and Jim insisted that it's all about "up" (a "dance in mid-air").

If that doesn't make complete sense, don't worry. It didn't make complete sense to those of us who were there in the room either. That was actually part of the fun. To some degree, these guys spoke in riddles, like Yoda. That was especially true of Freddy.

Such great memories.
From watching these two gurus in videos I can easily see that debate happening. Thanks for sharing.

I finished ALSO the second part!

All contributions have been valuable. Those of Steve Smith are perhaps the clearest to understand a little more about the method "beyond what is more just popular knowledge". Vinnie telling some great anecdotes with some amazing impersonations. Also my British friend (from back 1986) Colin Schofield, "industry" stories with him, covering some clinic anecdotes. The only one I didn't know, with also relevant comments about Freddie and looking for teacher in LA, David Bronson (any videos of him playing?), great stories and also information over his last days. About his life in New York with Nussbaum (also about growing up in the number one Jazz scene in the world) and Rob Wallis (explaining other facets of his life, Freddie glamorous anecdotes) was also very illustrative.

John DeChristopen was able to beam up all safe to the "Gruberprise".

Last edited:
Back