PROTECT YOUR EARS - ear plugs, hearing loss, deafness

Re: Ear Protection

XeroX said:
I meant I use cheap isolation earbuds. Imitations of the shures that you use. I hate normal earphones cos they feel really lose and you have to turn them right up to hear them - and even then the sound quality isnt as good. I had some good philips isolation headphones, but one of them cut out so i ripped it off and bought new (cheap maxell) ones. If I had £60 to spend on headphones I'd probably go for the EC2s, but as it stands I only ever have about £6 to spend on headphones and occassionally get lucky like I did with the £30 philips ones I got for £9.99.

Cool, sorry I misunderstood! I didn't know you could get them that cheap actually, that's good value - particularly if they're good as you say. I'm lucky, I landed a couple of decent gigs with BTs, so it made sense to spend the cash.

Yeah and no problem for the misunderstanding - i sort of misphrased what i said.
They arent great headphones - the sound quality is acceptable, but they do isolate the sound pretty well. They also came with 3 different sets of rubber bits to make sure you get the right size.
I barely have enough money for £5 headphones seeing as how I don't have a job and I'm still goin to school full time. Also my band is barely gigging at the moment and when we do, its usually not payed :(

Jay.B. said:
thanks again, I was either using a full monitor setup, which meant the audience could hear the click count in haha or a pair of senheiser headphones I still have from my DJing days haha so these will make a great professional looking and sounding alternative :)

Well good luck with the auctions. At the end of the day, there's a reason why weckl, jojo mayer and pretty much everyone else uses shure. Plus, I think the ec2's look cooler than the molded anyway - I like the black finish! :)

Martin

Save your ears and play better fot $5

I bought 3M ear plugs just to experiment, beacuse I read a lot of good stuff about a Vic Firth headphones for drummers. I thought, man I can get me one of these and I'll save my ears and become a better drummer too. So I went to the store and they didn't have them so I ordered them. Then I went to the mall and saw the 3M reusable ear plugs. I said, let me try these until the headphones arrive. Man these things rock, now I can play for hours and hours and never have to worry about ear damage. The kit sounds fantastic behind these things and I can hear everything so clear and defined. Now I can't wait for the headphones to arrive!!!

Re: PROTECT YOUR EARS.

I'm really angry that I didn't know that I should be using ear plugs for four years of drumming, thankfully I don't have any problems and I want to keep it that way.
This is serious protect your ears because it is permanant and for some reason people think it's funny.
I tend to wear them at large concerts too beacuse they get to be pretty loud.

I'm trying out the Vic Firth isolation headphone and I could hear guitars and my drums, etc..My problem (or everyone's ?) is that after I wear it for about 15 minutes and take it off, everything sounds extremely loud (it's not that loud before I put on the headphone or earplug) and my drums and cymbals sound crappy. It takes another 1/2 or 1 hour with the headphone off to get my ears back to normal hearing where all the sound balance out, not extremely loud. Is this normal when one wears an earplug or an isolation headphone? None of the guys in our band wants to wear headphone or earplug. We play light rock during practices. We don't get any ringing sound after each practice. We keep the volume down. Is that OK or an earplug/headphone is still recommended at any sound level?

Yeah the exact same thing happens to me when I wear my ear plugs
When I take them off after about an hour my snare drum sounds like a thousand decibels it's really annoying but I guess that kind of shows you what you're exposing your ears to when you don't wear ear plugs.

Re: ear attenuators

Etymotic Research ER20. $12USD, pretty transparent, like turning down the volume on your ears. If you're experiencing 100dB+ for more than a couple hours, I'd get the foam ones instead, they offer more protection, at the cost of killing off high frequencies very noticably.

Re: ear attenuators

I considered it, but I've been pleased enough with the ER-20's that I don't worry about it anymore. The molded ones simply can't be 20x better to justify the cost.

I have been playing for about 40 years. My ears ring all the time. I wear ear plugs now, but when I was younger I never gave it a thought. All I can hope to do is keep it from getting worse. I even use ear plugs when practicing to CD's with headphones on.

I am right handed and my main ride is set up to my right. The right ear is probably the one that has gotten the brunt of it over the years. Someone mentioned a study that was done about jazz musicians and hearing loss from ride cymbals. I can attest to that fact.

Everyone should wear some sort of protection and start when you are young. Hearing loss is cumulative.

Tinnitus Anyone?

So after 30 years of playing and even with using earplugs/ear protection, I still got tinnitus a few years ago. Its like having a small tea kettle whistling all the time in your head. Who else has it, how bad, and what, if anything are you doing about it.

Re: Tinnitus Anyone?

i have it about 10-15 mins after i play.. butnot other than that.

Do you wear ear plugs? You might want to look into that. Hell even stuffing tissue in your ears is better than nothing, and may I say a bold fashion statement. Constant ringing sucketh.

Re: Tinnitus Anyone?

I've had it for about ten years. I did some damage to my ears beginning in high school, playing in garage bands, marching bands and drum corps. Any damage you do to your hearing is irreversible, so all you can do is protect what you've got. You can get a good pair of earplugs for $10 or less. You can also get a pair custom-made to fit your ears that will attenuate all frequencies equally, but they can get pretty pricey.

Back