Practicing Rudiments

While I buy the idea that we need to be able to play on many different surfaces, what surfaces do you have on your kit that are like a pillow? I don't have any. Even an 18x18 Floor Tom with a Pinstripe tuned so low it looks like ripples in a pond has some rebound, and behaves nothing like a pillow.

Dennis Chambers is a monster player, but we need to be careful not to confuse cause and correlation.

Most certainly he does. His hands aren't better than any other of the master players in an objective sense, but a Chambers single stroke tom roll is immediately identifiable as such, utterly unique. It's all from the wrist. That's come from the pillow, he's said as much.

Unique in sound? That would make sense since he plays them like pillows (assuming he actually practices only on pillows, I'm slightly sceptical about that also). =P But the thing is that I don't want to sound like I play on pillows when I play a kit. If that's your thing then by all means do everything you can to sound like that.

The only thing I'd like to add on the subject and I'll be done with this thread is;

If the hat fits you, wear it !

In other word, if practicing on pillow give you good result then keep it in your rudiments workout routine but if you find you're getting worst or begin to feel pain or suffer problem then stop and take it out of your routine.

SIMPLE AZZ DAT !!!

assuming he actually practices only on pillows, I'm slightly sceptical about that also)

I'm not sure it's ever been suggested that he practices only on pillows, that would be silly.
This argument about pillows not resembling any rebound surface on a kit, whilst undoubtedly true, is a little short-sighted. I'm not sure the training schedule of an elite athlete is formed solely of playing their respective sport.
Furthermore, how realistic is the average practice pad to the kit surfaces? Definitely more realistic than a pillow but I wouldn't look to a rubber pad to improve my double strokes on a 16" floor tom.

And JPW - every drummer needs some Chambers single strokes in their life ;) It's a signature chop of one of the all time greats - i'll be damned if anyone's listened to him play and thought it sounded a bit to pillowy.

As minddrummer said, it's whatever works for you. I always recommend to a player with sound technique to at least try it.

If you get your rudiments down and pristine - you will see a change in your playing. Everything you play is a rudiment or pattern of some kind. If you want to step up your game, try some hybrid rudiments on for size. There is where the fun begins : )

Back