Played with a Throne Butt Kicker for the First Time

All set up for my first gig tonight with my Buttkicker rig. Will let you know how it went.

Yeehah!

Monday nights gig went off without a hitch. My Buttkicker thumped away and was only noticeable to our bass player besides me. He said he could feel it right through the floor.

I didn't mess too much with it once I got it turned up a little more after the first two songs.

I also played last night at my regular Friday night jam and everybody could feel it.

My kit is on about a 5' x 8" rug on a wooden floor in a large 34' x 34' upstairs room. A couple of friends that were out front listening said they could really hear my kick well.

Sort of funny when you think about it. I guess being able to feel the kick's low frequencies added a little to their perception of the kick sound.

The novelty of it hasn't worn off yet so I'm not sure what it will be like in a few months but I like the way I can monitor my kick playing now. It's actually quite helpful using the thump in the seat as an indicator of when I'm losing consistency in my strokes.

Since I'm triggering it, I've noticed that there could be some improvements. The Simmons trigger is not bad but I think higher quality or more sensitive triggers might offer more responsiveness. It also takes a little fiddling with the volume on the drum module so that you get the right level in conjunction with power levels from the amp.

Bermuda,

Your description before as to how it creates a more intimate feel of your kick drum sound is spot on. I think it will also improve my playing too. I noticed a few times last night that I was dropping a few double strokes every once in a while when I did not intend to.

Looks very interesting.

I would love to hear about what Bermuda thinks of this product if he knows anything about it.

Latency is a big issue with these transducers so I don't know.

I'm happy with my Buttkicker rig but it's always cool to learn about something new or different.

That photo illustrates an alternate method for mounting the unit, but certainly not preferred. I can understand that judging the ButtKicker by that mounting suggests that the kick won't be very strong, and it's not. It's still really nice, but for the best result (and where possible,) the unit needs to be mounted directly to the seat.

have to disagree on this one.

Chris had it mounted like this (as you can see on the pic) And it worked perfect and was very strong also because its mounted to the bottom of the seat itself (but without drilling extra holes in the top)

It doesn't work fine when mounted to the post of the chair so ive noticed with the Fischer Amp (witch is mounted to the post)

Stil thinking of getting a buttkicker set (with the buttkicker amp)

Now I recall... Chris had it connected directly to his powered mackie mixer. So that is an option I guess?

Did anybody tested the Mini Concert btw?

Last edited:
have to disagree on this one.

Chris had it mounted like this (as you can see on the pic) And it worked perfect and was very strong also because its mounted to the bottom of the seat itself (but without drilling extra holes in the top)

It doesn't work fine when mounted to the post of the chair so ive noticed with the Fischer Amp (witch is mounted to the post)

Stil thinking of getting a buttkicker set (with the buttkicker amp)

Now I recall... Chris had it connected directly to his powered mackie mixer. So that is an option I guess?

Did anybody tested the Mini Concert btw?

I can see the benefit of mounting the unit directly to the throne, now that I own one of these and have used it for a little while. It does work well on the bracket but there is a little space between the units' housing and the bottom of the seat.

You still have to screw the bracket into the seat..

.. so it makes good sense to just screw the unit directly into the seat. I'm going to try it.

You definitely have to have a bicycle seat style throne or a larger round throne to have room to fit the middle rear of the seat.

As long as you crank it up, it works fine with the bracket. I'll have to try remounting mine to let you know if it feels stronger. I'll bet it will.

Fischer Amps is releasing the 1HE! Buttkicker Amp for powering 1 Concert or 2 LFE Buttkickers:
http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-monitoring/fischer-amps-shaker-amp-400.html

Shaker-Amp-400-back_01.JPG

Shaker-Amp-400-front_01.JPG

It contains a few very nice and usefull options like a link trough with XLR/Jack combo (instead of making to have a split cable for the kick) switchable power voltages and a crossover and highpass.

They also make products like a In Ear Mixer, Bodypacks and more:
http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-monitoring.html

PS.

I use the Porter & Davies after testing Fischer Amps own system, the Buttkicker and P&D.

After testing the BC2, I bought a Gigster and since today I am the proud owner of the BCrm, the rack version (with an extra input for my electronic side of the rig)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. If the price is right, I may get one of these and then use the amp I bought for my rig for our failing PA amp.

The Crown amp I bought for my ButtKicker is way more than I need to power it.

Very interesting thread.

I'm looking for a way to upgrade my new Carmichael throne by some tactile monitor system. I learned that Fischer Amps (Germany) are distributing the Porter & Davies systems so I sent them an e-mail and got a reply today. The throne top I have is only 13'' in diameter so the shaker would be mounted to the base of the throne as there's hardly any space to mount it to the bottom side of the top.

On a German forum I read that mounting the shaker(s) to the throne base can work, too - it might be less 'kicky' but create a more homogenuous vibration. I happen have 4 cheapo shakers - nothing decent but I guess 2 of them might work. Let's see.

The P&D look like the perfect solution if money is no concern though.

At this year's Frankfurt Musikmesse I briefly tried some butt kick system at the Pearl booth - they had a bunch of them, I guess it's their Throne Thumper system - but that one wasn't too impressive. It produced some rumble but it felt like there was too much of a latency and no real kick, 'just' some undirected rumble - better than nothing but I guess different systems are way better than this.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't get out of hand with fast double bass rolls.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't get out of hand with fast double bass rolls.
Good point. My intention is to use a butt kicker system for single bass drum work primarily, for more awareness of where the kick beats are placed (for better precision). I guess even the best systems wouldn't do much for fast double bass work but maybe it would work even in this situation.

just picked up a BC Gigster from Porter and Davies. In a word, this unit is marvelous. It really helps for a big room to feel where you are placing your bass notes. Doesnt seem like a big deal and I hemmed and hawed at the idea of it, but I took a leap of faith on this unit and couldnt be happier. For small venues, it may not be ideal, but for large venues, I think it is a must.

F

Decided to do a DIY project after seeing this thread. The goal is to have a fully functional and practical unit that is as inexpensive as possible while serving its intended purpose.

Decided to use a 50W AuraSound AST-2B-4. It is mounted on the bottom side of my PDP trator style throne. They run about $50 - $60 online. It is small enough I could mount two if needed. They weigh about 2 - 3 lbs each.
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/Default/Images/Catalog/Original/299-028_HR_0.jpg

Also reusing a 120Watt Bass head out of an old Behringer BX1200 Bass amp. The pots are dirty, so it is scratchy when being adjusted, doesn't effect this application at all. It is pretty small, just needs a case or box built around it.

http://c1.zzounds.com/media/fit,201...00_panel-c857c060d0add9dd3a8dd6abf9080bc6.jpg

For testing I ran one of my old CAD bass drum mics directly into the passive input. Works pretty well though the gain is maxed out. Ordered a XLR to 1/4" transformer adapter for better impedance matching, should allow normal use of the gain and give me more volume.

First impressions, I love it, there have been quite a few shows where I couldn't hear my own bass drum, so I would play harder (with my foot) which causes me to lose finesse. This has happened in small and big stage environments. Since I use a Duallist finesse is very important or else I lose a lot of the double pedal aspect. With the thumper under the throne seat I can now feel every hit even if I can't hear them. Overall this is such a great monitoring concept for drummers.

Attachments

• 13262528_10209690147709621_1187489680_o.jpg
    13262528_10209690147709621_1187489680_o.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 4,665
  • 13242205_10209690147749622_698500613_o.jpg
    13242205_10209690147749622_698500613_o.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 4,977
The Porter & Davies BC system is nice for lower volume gigs and its relative portability makes it easy to bring into the studio if desired. But it's not inexpensive, and it's not a Buttkicker. I gave it an audition on the job in 2013, and it just didn't measure up. I got through part of sound check, turned it off, and re-hooked up the Buttkicker.

I use the Buttkicker Concert model. It's what they use in IMAX theater seats.

'nuff said. :)

Bermuda

The professional models are all nice n stuff ;) But my goal was to put together something on the cheap that would work for our "amateur" gigs. So far really impressed by the concept and the $70 I have invested (plus a few things that were 'lying around'). The professional stuff starts at $600 and can run north of $1000.

The truth is, anything works better than nothing! A low powered driver that delivers some thump is preferable to none at all, and definitely saves some cash. The ButtKicker isn't cheap, but the BumChum is considerably more expensive, and according to my butt, not even close to the ButtKicker.

If $70 gives you more thump than you had before, that's a good thing!

Bermuda

I'll have the adapter transformer next week. My first show where I will be able to put it to use will be June 9th, I'll report back on my findings. If it isn't enough I can always add a second Aura driver or 'upgrade' to a Buttkicker driver.

Keep us posted, it's always good to know what the alternatives are! :)

Back