Play along with accustic set?

haroldo_psf

Hi all,

So, I will be bringing my new accustic set home in two weeks :D ( http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=810182&postcount=34 ).

I currently have a Yamaha DTXplorer (e-kit). Playing along to songs is pretty easy. I can put my headphones, and mix the volumes of the drums and the song however I please. Or I can put it through my speakers and do the same thing with a good balance of drums and song volume.

I was wondering how it's done with an accustic set. How do you play along to songs? Do you just blast the audio as loud as possible so you can hear it over the drums?

In all these youtube cover videos I see, is the audio really really loud then? I'm excited to get my new accustic set, but wondering how it's typically done.

(sorry it this is a trivial question)

With an acoustic kit, you NEED good hearing protection, preferably imo, isolating earphones/headphones/in-ears of some kind so that you can clearly hear playalong-music/metronome and block enough of the drums to not ruin you ears.

I use Etymonics 6i's and love them (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx). These, along with the foam eartips, bring the drum volume down to levels less than I normally listen to music at. These are plugged into my metronome, and my laptop (with mp3s) is plugged into that...

Oh and ignore the price on that website, you can get them at amazon or other places for $60-70. Not much more than the seemingly "standard" Vic Firth headphones, but way better imo (I used the VFs for about 2mon before replacing them with the Etymonics).

With an acoustic kit, you NEED good hearing protection, preferably imo, isolating earphones/headphones/in-ears of some kind so that you can clearly hear playalong-music/metronome and block enough of the drums to not ruin you ears.

I use Etymonics 6i's and love them (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx). These, along with the foam eartips, bring the drum volume down to levels less than I normally listen to music at. These are plugged into my metronome, and my laptop (with mp3s) is plugged into that...

Oh and ignore the price on that website, you can get them at amazon or other places for $60-70. Not much more than the seemingly "standard" Vic Firth headphones, but way better imo (I used the VFs for about 2mon before replacing them with the Etymonics).

Awesome! I currently own two sets of Etymotics 6i, used inside my helmet while riding motorycles (GPS, mp3s, radio with other riders, etc), so I'm all set!

Just to be clear... When I have these inside my ears (double flange tips), they really do "isolate" as their name says.. I mean, I can't hear crap. Can you still hear the drums through them, or do you just feel the drums, and not hear them per say?

I found some clone Shure E2c in-ear monitors on eBay for about $60 coming out of China - I was leery at first but they turned out to be great. Good isolation and sound for the money. If anyone sells them in the US they're usually about $200.

Just to be clear... When I have these inside my ears (double flange tips), they really do "isolate" as their name says.. I mean, I can't hear crap. Can you still hear the drums through them, or do you just feel the drums, and not hear them per say?

You'll still HEAR your drums, don't worry :) But yea, it is shocking how much these block... And I use the foam tips, which isolate even more than the triple-flange.

Back