PDP or Crush?

Drummer4life268

Hey everyone! I am looking to get a new kit but i cant decide between the pdp x7 or the crush acrylic kit. Can you guys give me some feedback? thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Both kits are very different so a little more info would be helpful.

Are you considering one of these two because of the price point and number of drums and features? Is it looks? What are your considerations?

The PDP X7 is going to be a 7 piece maple and the Crush is most likely the 5 piece config, both for around $900 US.

Any other info as to why you are deciding between those two and maybe I can help.

Definitely PDP, I have a LX kit and it sounds amazing, for the similiar prices I would go for the extra drums and Maple shells with PDP, as opposed to taking a chance with fewer drums and Acrylic shells, but I would suggest looking into Crushes other kits, because I hear they are quite amazing as well, but I definitely wouldn't go for the acrylic.

Acrylic drums are a specific stunt. Visual appeal (to some) and loud.

I traded in a set of Pearl Masters Custom maple for a PDP Cx maple kit awhile back because I liked the sound better. Particularly the kick. Gigged them outdoors and in small bars and they always sounded great. They are proper drums. They've been superseded by a set of Gretsch Renowns I got a great deal on, but the PDPs were legit.

I don't know much about Crush. I should look into them more. My initial impression was to slot them with DDrum, OCP and other drum shaped objects sold cheaply to kids. Looking at their website, they have a bunch of wood combinations that sound interesting, so they may be trying to go for sound quality. Or they may just be following marketing trends.

Don't know about the cheaper Crush kits, but, the Sublime, and Sublime Tour are great sounding, and are high quality builds. Finishes look great too. The hardware is very nice. You'd do well to check them out before buying anything.

The higher line PDP, are really nice too, but I'd go for a DW Performance over a PDP. The shells are probably similar, but the features and aesthetics of the Performance kit appeals to me more. So do the offered finishes.

Good luck, welcome to the forum!

I was debating the same thing for weeks. I ended up with the PDP concept 7 piece and I LOVE IT! I have heard some things about acrylic kits getting stress cracks on the lugs and how easily scratched they can get. The only thing I will say about the pdp is the mounting hardware is a little lighter than I expected. I am not saying cheap but just a smaller gauge than what I was used to. After replacing the stock heads, I can say that I really doubt I will change sets again. It's very fun to play and sounds great. I have played some pretty pricey DW kits and I can honestly say that the sound difference is minimal. Some people dislike the lugs or whatever but they look fine to me. I got the white kit. I scored my set for $730 shipped but I got lucky...

I was debating the same thing for weeks. I ended up with the PDP concept 7 piece and I LOVE IT! I have heard some things about acrylic kits getting stress cracks on the lugs and how easily scratched they can get. The only thing I will say about the pdp is the mounting hardware is a little lighter than I expected. I am not saying cheap but just a smaller gauge than what I was used to. After replacing the stock heads, I can say that I really doubt I will change sets again. It's very fun to play and sounds great. I have played some pretty pricey DW kits and I can honestly say that the sound difference is minimal. Some people dislike the lugs or whatever but they look fine to me. I got the white kit. I scored my set for $730 shipped but I got lucky...

I gig with the PDP FS (birch flavor). Which hardware is lighter? I didn't even notice. I do use a couple PDP 900 cymbal stands that are comparable to the DW 5000 series.

Acrylic drums are a specific stunt. Visual appeal (to some) and loud.

I traded in a set of Pearl Masters Custom maple for a PDP Cx maple kit awhile back because I liked the sound better. Particularly the kick. Gigged them outdoors and in small bars and they always sounded great. They are proper drums. They've been superseded by a set of Gretsch Renowns I got a great deal on, but the PDPs were legit.

I don't know much about Crush. I should look into them more. My initial impression was to slot them with DDrum, OCP and other drum shaped objects sold cheaply to kids. Looking at their website, they have a bunch of wood combinations that sound interesting, so they may be trying to go for sound quality. Or they may just be following marketing trends.

I don't know much about Crush, either, but I do know that they were started by a group of dDrum employees who went out on their own because they were tired of the low QC and emphasis on beginner lines at dDrum. So, if you like the visual asthetic of dDrums, which I personally think is really nice, but want to go with something more likely to be dependable, that is what Crush is attempting, with success according to the user reviews I've seen. So I think they are indeed going for sound quality with their wood combinations, and are probably worth a look. And I'm sure their acrylic slays. If a guy with Bonzo in his username says so, that's good enough for me :).

I've been using the Crush acrylics for about six months. I bought the five-piece: 22, 10,12,16, and 14" snare. I personally prefer them over a PDP.

It's a badass kit! It's a different sound- it could be construed as a little "tubby" if not tuned properly. But you get this drum in tune and its freaking awesome.
I had the opportunity to hear another drummer do a gig on my kit- and they sounded phenomenal.
The snare has a ton of ring, but if you dampen it, it's a solid snare drum.

Listen to Billy Cobham's Spectrum, recorded on acrylics, and that will give you an idea of the sound.

The only drawback is they are heavy. Schlepping the bass drum is kind of a chore.

and not to spam, but you can hear a lot of the toms in this live vid of my band. This captures the sound of the Crush acrylics very well (True Self):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHtI1-1JQr4

I don't know much about Crush, either, but I do know that they were started by a group of dDrum employees who went out on their own because they were tired of the low QC and emphasis on beginner lines at dDrum. So, if you like the visual asthetic of dDrums, which I personally think is really nice, but want to go with something more likely to be dependable, that is what Crush is attempting, with success according to the user reviews I've seen. So I think they are indeed going for sound quality with their wood combinations, and are probably worth a look. And I'm sure their acrylic slays. If a guy with Bonzo in his username says so, that's good enough for me :).
Thanks...but seriously these are great drums they look great but sound great also. but just like ZMD mentioned these babies are HEAVY but damn they look sweet & sound great & are about a third of the price of Vista's....win,win,win...lol

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Attachments

• Crush Red.jpg
    Crush Red.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 369
Back