Octobans

6" outside diameter aluminum or PVC pipe. There are a couple "how to" sites on the web. I am adding a couple Peace aluminum octabans to my new kit.

Tama was (I think) the "original", and made theirs in clear (which I had), black, and white. 4 lugs on a 6 inch diameter drum, 2 tubes on a stand, sold usually 4 drums in a set (a high set and a low set). Mike Portnoy, Simon Phillips, Nick Mason and Alex Van Halen, big name octobon user dudes.

What about the tension rods? and the rim (not sure about real name. lol)

One octaban consists of:

1 drumshell, 6" outside diameter
1 hoop, 6" 4 lug holes
4 lugs
4 tension rods
1 tom bracket (9.5 or 10mm)

Thats it.

One octaban consists of:

1 drumshell, 6" outside diameter
1 hoop, 6" 4 lug holes
4 lugs
4 tension rods
1 tom bracket (9.5 or 10mm)

Thats it.

There should be some information somewhere on the lengths. Will an 8-inch-deep octoban be an octave higher than a 16-inch-deep octoban? If you do not have correct lengths they may never sound good together, or sound like a set. There is some formula for the depths. Research it online.

There should be some information somewhere on the lengths. Will an 8-inch-deep octoban be an octave higher than a 16-inch-deep octoban? If you do not have correct lengths they may never sound good together, or sound like a set. There is some formula for the depths. Research it online.

On another thread (woodstick 2008) that yellow kit also has 8" octabans with it. They don't sound like ban's to me, they sound more like power-quads.
Here is his full set:
newstacks%20001.jpg

Octbans are usually sold in pairs, high pitch set, medium, medium low and low. I prefer the 6" diameter for that classic sound.

Original octaban sets, like Mike Portnoy or Stewart Copeland uses are grouped in 4's or 8's.

I don't need an "ostinato" setup myself, I would get a 4-pc set with a wide steps for contrast. 6x6, 6x12, 6x18 and 6x24, along those lines.

Back