Next size up from a 5B stick?

I'm worried of sounding like a complete novice with this, but i'm just completely stuck. So here it goes...

I've played with Vic Firth 5B/5BN's for as long as i can remember. They're just about right for everything i've played, and they've suited me well. Yet march last year i bought a new kit, and i've found that i'm breaking far more sticks than what is 'normal'. I've come to the conclusion that the sticks aren't as strong as what's needed for this kit.

I've trawled the internet looking for a size guide, but to no avail. I need a pair of sticks that are the next strongest to the 5B's. So what is the next size up from a 5B?

Thanks in advance!
What does your instructor say? not staying loose enough, and playing off of the drum/cymbal, will lead to broken equipment such as heads, cymbals, sticks...etc.
I am not judging you though.
Others mentioned the 1A, 55A and HD9....they are all in the 5B range and you should check out...good suggestions.
If I don't have much time to warm-up, MS4s are my favorite to warm up quickly. sparingly!

I'll go along by saying 2B and 3A too, but there's also Vic Firth SD1 General, approximately like a 2B, slightly larger diameter and longer with a round tip, and fairly light for such sticks (maple).

Sd1 ism MUCH larger. It is also made of less durable maple which will break even faster.

You can try Vic Firth's Buddy Rich model. A touch longer and thicker in the shoulder than 5As. And they're maple, which last longer, at least for me.

Also try to buy the most knotty looking sticks, they are tougher.

I find oak to be the strongest, and the Japanese oak sticks look pretty gnarly.

Back