New to me Vintage Ludwig Jazz Festival

myxtc

Just bought this and received it from Reverb. I have never been a big vintage guy but when I saw the date on this drum was 1 day younger than me I had to have it. Plus I have always wanted one of these after hearing a few live and of course Ringo played them. I am in the process of cleaning up a little bit and am going to replace the snare wires with the Ludwig L1930 20-strand wires, but my question is what heads work best on these vintage drums? I would love to get as close as I can to a Beatles type sound. I will keep the old original heads but want to play this drum on my home kit. Wood is Mahogany/Poplar. Thanksciepkgkadkfaymsm2er4.jpg

Attachments

• dsjn1wj7kl2jatwakuop.jpg
    dsjn1wj7kl2jatwakuop.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 7
  • s29628c4arvrcoiy0fyx.jpg
    s29628c4arvrcoiy0fyx.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 6
  • m9mwcbvr2jxl94aikzfw.jpg
    m9mwcbvr2jxl94aikzfw.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 6
  • levj1bzjdtgwicrbbov6.jpg
    levj1bzjdtgwicrbbov6.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 5
Just bought this and received it from Reverb. I have never been a big vintage guy but when I saw the date on this drum was 1 day younger than me I had to have it. Plus I have always wanted one of these after hearing a few live and of course Ringo played them. I am in the process of cleaning up a little bit and am going to replace the snare wires with the Ludwig L1930 20-strand wires, but my question is what heads work best on these vintage drums? I would love to get as close as I can to a Beatles type sound. I will keep the old original heads but want to play this drum on my home kit. Wood is Mahogany/Poplar. ThanksView attachment 145663

Cool snare!

I'm a guitar player, now hanging out here ( playing rudiments on a practice pad...), because playing with a great drummer ( and vintage Ludwig gearhead) in a fun '70's soul/funk band is making me really take an interest in drums. ( always loved them as a kid, but never played)

Questions:
-How do you know the heads are original? Is there an indicator/serial # that you check? Or just wear/appearance?

- what year was the snare made? Thanks!

* as a guitar guy, I seem attracted to wood snares- just relating to the same characteristics of mahogany, maple, poplar, birch, etc., used to impart tone.

Though I definitely don't ( yet!) track the sonic nuances between various metals or woods used, that real drummers pick-up on, prefer, with their snares.

As far as heads, you’re probably going to receive as many answers as there are members. My answer is: Remo Vintage Coated Ambassador batter with a Hazy Snare Side reso. Enjoy that beautiful drum!

Cool snare!

I'm a guitar player, now hanging out here ( playing rudiments on a practice pad...), because playing with a great drummer ( and vintage Ludwig gearhead) in a fun '70's soul/funk band is making me really take an interest in drums. ( always loved them as a kid, but never played)

Questions:
-How do you know the heads are original? Is there an indicator/serial # that you check? Or just wear/appearance?

- what year was the snare made? Thanks!

* as a guitar guy, I seem attracted to wood snares- just relating to the same characteristics of mahogany, maple, poplar, birch, etc., used to impart tone.

Though I definitely don't ( yet!) track the sonic nuances between various metals or woods used, that real drummers pick-up on, prefer, with their snares.
Thanks, bud, Ludwig snares and some kits back in the day was stamped inside and this one is stamped AUG 19 1966. I put up a pic but not the best angle. I am not a vintage guy but I think the Ludwig ensemble head lettering and font can be confirmed by vintage guys plus the hoops of the batter head are painted white which I have never seen before. The reso besides being yellowed and rough to see thru is stamped with the store it was sold from which I also have never seen. I have posted some more pics. I like all kinds of snares but prefer aluminum which amazingly I do not own right now but looking for a vintage acro lite for a decent price when the wife's shock wears off from this purchase: )

Attachments

• 20240424_095227.jpg
    20240424_095227.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240424_095301 (1).jpg
    20240424_095301 (1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240424_095258.jpg
    20240424_095258.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240424_095510.jpg
    20240424_095510.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240424_095307.jpg
    20240424_095307.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 5
As far as heads, you’re probably going to receive as many answers as there are members. My answer is: Remo Vintage Coated Ambassador batter with a Hazy Snare Side reso. Enjoy that beautiful drum!
Thanks, Yeah I planned for that and am leaning toward Vintage coated amb, and hazy or clear amb reso. Hoping maybe there is a guy that may have a similar drum and found something that works better than anticipated.

Thanks, bud, Ludwig snares and some kits back in the day was stamped inside and this one is stamped AUG 19 1966. I put up a pic but not the best angle. I am not a vintage guy but I think the Ludwig ensemble head lettering and font can be confirmed by vintage guys plus the hoops of the batter head are painted white which I have never seen before. The reso besides being yellowed and rough to see thru is stamped with the store it was sold from which I also have never seen. I have posted some more pics. I like all kinds of snares but prefer aluminum which amazingly I do not own right now but looking for a vintage acro lite for a decent price when the wife's shock wears off from this purchase: )
Thanks for info!

I'm generally a nut/nerd about any musical instrument ( just like this since the '60's)
BTW, the drummer I referenced, has the Ludwig Black Beauty, Supraphonic, Pioneer, but LOVES his Acrolite too!

He thinks ( not sure) a lot of classic '70's R&B/ funk was recorded with one ( he says " I can hear it!") , because is was a more affordable snare to have in a these studios...
No idea, but maybe?

I think I read that Ringo either used calfskin heads or the stock Ludwig Weathermasters his drums came with. I'm not a fan of the maintenance calfskin heads require so I'd probably suggest getting some new Ludwig Weathermaster heads. If modern heads are a tight fit I'd also suggest Aquarian American Vintage heads or Remo Classic Fit.

I don't think Ludwig had moved to that particular Ensemble drumhead logo until the mid 1970s, but even if they aren't the original heads for that drum, they're certainly old for sure.

If it was me I would definitely go with Ludwig Weathermasters top and bottom. The “heavy coated” batter is the same thickness as a Remo Ambassador, while the “medium coated” is thinner like a Diplomat. These heads are expensive today, but it would be the perfect look, sound, and vibe for your new vintage treasure.

I'm with Bongoman on this. Today, you can buy Ludwig-branded Remo heads in most sizes, but you can also buy Ludwig Weathermaster heads made by Ludwig in snare drum sizes. I use those myself and love them.

Look for this logo:

I've got the Blue version of this. It's a 1964, so it's close to yours.

Mine had what I assume is the original heads, but like you I have no way of knowing for sure. I do see the the head's logo/stamp is a bit different.

I'm not a vintage guy, but like you explained, this one had something that to me jumped out and said take me home.

I really can't help since I've only ever used the original and an Ambassador coated on the top. I did also change out the snare side and used a clear ambassador snare side head for that. I would be interested to hear about any you try and what results you notice.

You have a wonderful drum there.
Enjoy that red beauty!

IMG_0286.jpg

If it was me I would definitely go with Ludwig Weathermasters top and bottom. The “heavy coated” batter is the same thickness as a Remo Ambassador, while the “medium coated” is thinner like a Diplomat. These heads are expensive today, but it would be the perfect look, sound, and vibe for your new vintage treasure.
Nice so a coated medium on bottom? hmmm

I've got the Blue version of this. It's a 1964, so it's close to yours.

Mine had what I assume is the original heads, but like you I have no way of knowing for sure. I do see the the head's logo/stamp is a bit different.

I'm not a vintage guy, but like you explained, this one had something that to me jumped out and said take me home.

I really can't help since I've only ever used the original and an Ambassador coated on the top. I did also change out the snare side and used a clear ambassador snare side head for that. I would be interested to hear about any you try and what results you notice.

You have a wonderful drum there.
Enjoy that red beauty!
Gorgeous color, Yeah that looks exactly the same. Thanks to a few guys on here I just ordered the Ludwig Weathermasters heavy-coated top and medium-coated for the bottom, along with the Ludwig Vintage 63, 18-strand snare wires. I will update this post when I get them in and try them out.

Gorgeous color, Yeah that looks exactly the same. Thanks to a few guys on here I just ordered the Ludwig Weathermasters heavy-coated top and medium-coated for the bottom, along with the Ludwig Vintage 63, 18-strand snare wires. I will update this post when I get them in and try them out.

I hope it's not too late, but the medium coated head is an option for the batter side, not the snare side, and is WAY too thick to be used on the bottom of a snare drum.

Congratulations. I hope you like the sound.

These Ludwig snare drums are like a goose that lays a golden egg for Ludwig everyday!! They are still producing these same old school snares. I listened to a sound sample of the newer model of Jazz Festival snare and at higher tunings it sounds close to a metal snare.

Last edited:
Very nice snare! Congrats!

Does anyone know for sure if the difference between a Pioneer (6 lug) and a Jazz Festival (8 lug) was simply the number of lugs? Was everything else the same (strainer, butt, lugs, heads, shell construction etc.)?

I hope it's not too late, but the medium coated head is an option for the batter side, not the snare side, and is WAY too thick to be used on the bottom of a snare drum.
No big deal, I figured as much and wanted to try the 2 coated batters anyway to see if I hear much of a difference. All good(y)

Does anyone know for sure if the difference between a Pioneer (6 lug) and a Jazz Festival (8 lug) was simply the number of lugs? Was everything else the same (strainer, butt, lugs, heads, shell construction etc.)?

Yes. Ludwig pretty much only had one shell design at any one time up until the late 80s when they had the 4-ply Super Classic and the 6-ply Classic shell. Exceptions would include non-wrapped mahogany shells had a maple outer ply, and the Rockers which began the 4-ply maple/poplar shells that ended up in the pro-level Super Classics.

I know nothing, but found this.

This is the observation that I heard on one of the YouTube clips and I tend to agree with it.
It seems like Ludwig is kind of unique among drum makers in a sense that they have a "high end" model of a specific snare but then they take more or less the same design and make a "lower cost" or "student model" out of the same design. The examples are Supra and Acrolite snares, Jazz Festival and Pioneer snares, Black Beauty and Universal Brass snares.

Back