Need opinions on Yamaha Hex Racks, Racks in general

It's actually a brand new HXR4LD that I can get my hands on. I'll have to buy 6 extra clamps which is not a problem supply wise, at the moment.

I know it is really a lot of money. I have some savings at the moment that I worked hard to save, but that is why I cannot make my mind up. I'm usually the kind of person who prefers to be safe and put money away in case it is needed. I often feel bad for a while when I spend my money for my pleasure. But I would really love to have a Hexrack, and it's now (well... I've still got some time to make my mind up, but you get the picture) or never...

My second choice was a Pearl ICON like I mentioned further up, but I know the Yamaha will be better for me (the chrome etc. will stay intact longer) and I prefer by miles the look of it. Not to mention the ICON being too big (I will have to mod it to shorten the horizontal bars).

You know it's like being a kid dying for that toy you've always wanted, yet being confronted with your adult side telling you that it's not vital?

Last edited:
Update: the HXTC clamps have disappeared now from everywhere (that I know of) who sell them. Looks like I'll have to forget about getting the Hex Rack, without the clamps it's useless...

It's such a shame, this is a wonderful product in my opinion : (

If anyone (especially form europe since i happen to live here) is intrested in a super extended hex, hit me.

Since it's out of production and still not fi finished my supercage ill have to find another way this year. For a double bass or super kit this build out rack will do fine.

Setup pics can be found in my public Facebook album, facebook.com/wesselkuit

At the point I'm at I'll take my last chance and ask...

Wes, you wouldn't have 6 or more unneeded HXTC clamps lying around would you?

I sent you a PM Wes.

Attachments

• phpoTma3GAM.jpg
    phpoTma3GAM.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,362
  • php6oXywIAM.jpg
    php6oXywIAM.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,323
I'm dead jealous.

I've been making phone calls all over Europe to get my hand on some clamps. I'd sell my kidney for them if it was possible...

Last edited:
I have been using a round black Gibraltar type clamp on my hex rack. I was going to order more clamps a couple weeks ago but forgot. It was supposed to be a temporary fix. Now I guess i cant order more clamps, grrrrrr. I didnt hear about this discontinued crap until today. I guess I should have ordered the damn things earlier, but I just got the rack a month ago.
The round clamp works fine, Its been holding a cymbal arm with 2 cymbals on it for a few weeks without issue. I'm betting a couple of the nice silver DW/PDP clamps would work and blend in better. Maybe a small piece of rubber in between to help it stay in place and protect the bars finish. I also found the pearl multi-clamps just barley fit on the rack, you have to take off the washers. So I filed the clamp faces down on one and it fit better. I have one holding my remote hi-hat on the rack, no problems at all. They are notched at the same angle as the hex bars. They also blend in very well being that they are a kind of flat aluminum color.

Just some suggestions to try until they get their shit together and we can buy proper clamps again.

I sent an email to Yamaha to see if I can get some confirmation on all this discontinued BS, future support, availability of parts direct from them. etc. I'll let you know if they have anything intelligent to say.

I sent an email to Yamaha to see if I can get some confirmation on all this discontinued BS, future support, availability of parts direct from them. etc. I'll let you know if they have anything intelligent to say.

Not only big name endorsers like Garibaldi have confirmed the discontinuation, but "smaller names" around here and on other forums have done so also. I have also had a direct confirmation from Yamaha Europe that it's true.

What is less official but has been rumored by endorsers is that the R&D department are working on a replacement for the rack. All I can say at this point from the information I've gathered is that the rack might not be hexagonal, but parts should be compatible with the Hex Rack.

Don't hold your breath on this though - I doubt we'll see anything this year... And if ever that was the case I'm pretty sure we will have to wait for the summer NAMM to find out.

Last edited:
From the rehearsal setting up Saturday:
25601_1442520262611_1221222716_1288560_221513_n.jpg

Now i've used this for this application and works out so well compared to the other racks, its even a bigger bummer that I have to sell it :(

Oh stop showing off now Wess! ;P

Are those e-pads on the side which look like black T rubber bars? And am I dreaming or is that single HXTC holding that whole bar up on the left?!

Not only big name endorsers like Garibaldi have confirmed the discontinuation, but "smaller names" around here and on other forums have done so also. I have also had a direct confirmation from Yamaha Europe that it's true.

What is less official but has been rumored by endorsers is that the R&D department are working on a replacement for the rack. All I can say at this point from the information I've gathered is that the rack might not be hexagonal, but parts should be compatible with the Hex Rack.

Don't hold your breath on this though - I doubt we'll see anything this year... And if ever that was the case I'm pretty sure we will have to wait for the summer NAMM to find out.

I dont figure to get any straight answers,but its always worth a try. A well worded letter from a disappointed customer sometimes gets more results than anticipated.

I guess I know now why guitar center was selling them so cheap, trying to dump inventory.

Ive read a few places that Yamaha might not hold the patent on the design and it might come back under a different brand. Anyone know if there is anything to this?
Its a damn shame, it is an excellent rack system.

Last edited:
I dont figure to get any straight answers,but its always worth a try. A well worded letter from a disappointed customer sometimes gets more results than anticipated.

I guess I know now why guitar center was selling them so cheap, trying to dump inventory.

Ive read a few places that Yamaha might not hold the patent on the design and it might come back under a different brand. Anyone know if there is anything to this?
Its a damn shame, it is an excellent rack system.

I believe that to be the case (Yamaha not holding patent on hex rack design)...the person I know at Yamaha wouldn't divulge too many details other than to say that they were all very disappointed (about hex rack being discontinued)....and yes Yamaha is hard working on a replacement that should be compatible with hex...I don't believe it will be that long for the replacement to show up....I've got three of the hex racks for my kits..so yea I'm pretty bummed out as well...:(...it's a great design and product

I believe that to be the case (Yamaha not holding patent on hex rack design)...the person I know at Yamaha wouldn't divulge too many details other than to say that they were all very disappointed (about hex rack being discontinued)....and yes Yamaha is hard working on a replacement that should be compatible with hex...I don't believe it will be that long for the replacement to show up....I've got three of the hex racks for my kits..so yea I'm pretty bummed out as well...:(...it's a great design and product

The real problem I have is the hush hush nature of this. The guys at guitar center still think they can order parts. I was in there this weekend before I knew about the rack being discontinued asking about clamps. They also have one of he real nice electronic sets with the rack for sale, some guy is going to drop 5 grand and then find out he cant get any more parts for his brand new rack.
There has to be a stash of clamps somewhere, I can still get the short bar and clamp to extend the side at online sites, but with no matching clamps to put on it seems like a waste to get it.

On Yamaha not holding the patent on the Hex shape, I got that too.

I wonder why they did not have it... They have the patent on hex tom holders, such a weird move not to have it on the rack. This is also why I find the Hex shaped rack is cool - it's a nice subtle wink/reference to the shape of the tom holders.

The real problem I have is the hush hush nature of this. The guys at guitar center still think they can order parts. I was in there this weekend before I knew about the rack being discontinued asking about clamps. They also have one of he real nice electronic sets with the rack for sale, some guy is going to drop 5 grand and then find out he cant get any more parts for his brand new rack.
There has to be a stash of clamps somewhere, I can still get the short bar and clamp to extend the side at online sites, but with no matching clamps to put on it seems like a waste to get it.

Yamaha currently has parts for warranty issues....also when the new rack comes out it should be compatible with hex...so new parts would in turn also work with hex...at least that's what I've heard...the hush-hush nature of this doesn't surpirse me....all companies don't like airing their dirty laundry..so to speak....

When I contacted Yamaha, they didn't know either until they contacted their commercial department. They were literally telling me they got the information from me first before other people inside the company. I found that to be very weird.

In any case I agree, the "hush hush" side of this as you call it is quite uncool but moreover (and again) - weird. Some shops here too thought they could still order parts, I was the one telling them that they were going out of production and that if they have no more parts than that was all of it. Some guy I called at one shop was looking on his computer and Yamaha had the pieces still marked as available for order....

the hush-hush nature of this doesn't surpirse me....all companies don't like airing their dirty laundry..so to speak....

While that's true, like I mentioned above in this particular case I find things fishier than usual.

Last edited:
On Yamaha not holding the patent on the Hex shape, I got that too.

I wonder why they did not have it... They have the patent on hex tom holders, such a weird move not to have it on the rack. This is also why I find the Hex shaped rack is cool - it's a nice subtle wink/reference to the shape of the tom holders.

yea...I agree that doesn't make sense...apparently Yamaha had a good relationship with this other company (I'm speculating) and hired out the design to them....but for them to not own patent does seem strange...Yamaha has owned patent on so many great designs..they should have owned this one.....

Back