My Pop MADE IT into Modern Drummer!

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

Just a quick note- my wonderful sister FINALLY got my Dad posted on Modern Drummer!

Not a huge article, but it's a nice bit about his 75+ years of playing drums, some background and history on him, and even a tiny mention of his son! (me!) Check it out-

http://www.moderndrummer.com/modern-drummer-blogs/Don Kidwell/

I (literally) just now got home from visiting my folks in San Diego, (600+ mile drive)
and understand now why my Pop is giving up gigging- he's not in the best shape, (but hey-he's 92!) and isn't getting around very well anymore.
He understands that his time is approaching, and it's become visible, which I am VERY saddened to report. However, we both took turns and jammed on his ancient Ludwig/Gretch set yesterday, and as ever- he is one helluva drummer, even to the end.

May we ALL live and drum as long as he has, thank the Good Lord for our gifts of longevity, and the blessings that music have given us all. AMEN!

Cheers,
C. P.

That was quite a touching tribute. I hope that made his day.

Tell your father a fellow drummer/veteran says Thank You and was inspired by his story. I hope I live long enough to be that active into my nineties...

How heartwarming was that? Right on Pete. Right on Don. Is your Dad a milk drinker by chance?

That is so awesome. Much respect for your dad. I only hope I have half the career he has had.

I would say give him a big hug from the whole forum. Great stuff.

Very nice story - he is fortunate to have lived a life doing what he loved and chose, wow a long career at that, something you and he can be proud of.

Fishnmusicn

How heartwarming was that? Right on Pete. Right on Don. Is your Dad a milk drinker by chance?

ROFL

Is it just that it's late and night and I'm getting delirious or was that rEdiculously funny?

I saw Dad today (he's 87) and I told him about Don only recently having to hang up his sticks. Dad gets what he would be feeling since he had to stop playing tennis a few years ago.

Pete, have you thought of marketing your family's genes? I mean, you're 6'4" and your Dad's been able to play drums at a high level for around 75 years ... talk about robust stock!

Hey Crew,

Thank you all very much for all the kind words and support.

I don't think you all know how much that means to me--A LOT! I'll pass on all of your good words to my Dad, and I know he'll appreciate it.

Just a side thought-- I've met and known a LOT of musicians over the years, and have come to the conclusion that drummers are absolutely the coolest of the cool.

The only drummer that ever gave me crap was Tommy Lee (back in the 80's) when I used to hang out in the Sunset Strip bars in L.A. He came off as a**holish at first, but I complimented his BeBopDeluxe tattoo on his forearm, and he was a lot cooler after that, like we had something in common...

Face it people- drummers are the coolest and most laid-back folks on this planet, and I'm proud to be one. I'm also proud to be a part of DrummerWorld, and all the fine folks that are here.

Rock forever brothers and sisters,
C. P.

That's AWESOME, man! First off, just to live to 92 is a crazy accomplishment, let alone spend 75 of those years doing what you love.

When my grandpa turns 92, he'll... have been dead for nine years. :p

Nice article Pete!
Is there a video or an audio of him playing that you could share with us?

Sweeeeeet Pete. I said it all in a previous post mate (hope you were paying attention.....lord knows, I can't remember what I said). Inspirational stuff and glad they considered it fitting to do a story on your dad.

Long live the both of you!!

Back