Ludwig Element SE Mod Orange 22/12/14

MadmanMoon

I recently saw a Ludwig Element SE drum kit selling for $550 or best offer. It comes with a 22 inch bass, 12 inch rack tom and a 14 inch floor tom. I love the look of it and although it's not exactly the drum configuration I'm looking for, its similar. I've been wanting a 20 inch bass rather than a 22. Other than that is is the sizes I'd like. My question: is it worth this price? I have been playing for about 16 years and currently own a 1974 red sparkle Slingerland and play on a 22/13/16 set up. I use it for rock n roll styled music. I'm looking for something to practice and play more jazz and funk styled music, and when I say practice I mean practice not just some practice. So something incredible or highly playable. What kind of sound would people describe this kit to have? What is the quality and workmanship of these drums? I haven't seen them in person, so I'd like to know before I go check these out. If anyone has any useful links or advice pertaining to this specific drum kit, I am all Ears!

i had heard the element se retro were the precursors to the club dates, similar shell layout but different bearing edges and interiors didnt have the same treatment the club dates had. But they do have the american ludwig hardware. Its up to you, they look fab but if you want something that actually sounds retro the club dates are the better way to go it seems.

I owned the Citrus Mod Downbeat configuration ( 20/12/14) when they first came on the market. I did not like the snare and sold it. I recall paying $675.00 Canadian for all 4 drums. The shells were cherry and gum plies ( same as the current Club Dates). These were really nice sounding drums, decent quality for the price. The one issue I had was the wrap was taped on rather than glued. I played an outdoor gig on a relatively hot day and the wrap lifted off the shell in large sections ( not at the edges ) from the heat. Once back in a nice temperature the wrap shrunk back flush to the shell.I never had any issues with the seams , so it led me to believe the wrap was just taped on , unlike the USA made Ludwig drums where wraps are glued on.. Just wanted to make you aware.

These are more than acceptable drums for practice. They sound good , I liked the wraps and really like the look of the keystone lugs. I would probably offer $400 if you really like them .

Last edited:
Back