Kenny Aronoff

Yes he did!!! That's my favorite Kenny album. I saw them on that tour and he was incredible!

I was just listening to Kenny yesterday. He played on several songs on Bob Seger's album "The Fire Inside." (Russ Kunkel played on the title track) Always loved this one. He just lays it down thick and then goes off at the end (Joe Walsh on lead guitar)....

I believe he also played on Take a Chance. Which is classic Aronoff... powerful and inventive. I don't think one of the little fills he plays during the verses is the same. Just great.

Kenny's like the perfect commercial rock drummer, no question. Almost too perfect for my taste. That's just me. Another factor is his physical strength. Cat must lift and cardio like crazy.

Another factor is his physical strength. Cat must lift and cardio like crazy.
During the Sweetwater recording workshop, we all went out to eat after the first day. Us "students" were chowing on steaks, potatoes, beer and whisky, while Kenny was having a salad with water. Many of us had hangovers the next morning. 🫤
He had been working on his book at the time and was espousing living clean for better performance and longevity.

He's an interesting character.......

There's a lot more to his facility behind the kit than what he lets on.

He's got enthusiasm for days about the drums....he's just got such a command of the drums.
I'm currently reading his book & this is a big part of how he got out of that small town to be where he is now. He had a drive to be the best drummer he could be that many don't have. They just want to make a few YouTube videos & wait to be "discovered". Then when they're not, they're mad.

Kenny knew anything other than hard work wasn't going to get him anywhere & he's still doing that today. It shows in every performance he does. His segments on that documentary Hired Gun tells me all I need to know about him. He's awesome.

Meh….mellencamp is not very bright. Aronoff has a long resume and many awards….Rolling Stone ranked him #66 of the top 100 drummers of all time. I’m not sure mellencamp deserves to make any top 100 lists

Meh….mellencamp is not very bright. Aronoff has a long resume and many awards….Rolling Stone ranked him #66 of the top 100 drummers of all time. I’m not sure mellencamp deserves to make any top 100 lists
Aronoff's stories about his time with Mellencamp reveal how he learned to play in a studio, think and compose quickly, and have thick skin when needed. Everyone knows Mellencamp wasn't a joy to work with, but once he got a few #1 hits Kenny put up with him.

Back