Kangaroo Hide Drum Heads.

There's a lot of social media by Aussie native wildlife and Australian conservancy orgnisations about eradicating feral pests. It is actually going on all the time. I have met rangers, while I was traveling in the Outback, who are out on quad bikes with high powered rifles shooting wild pigs and goats.
Yes, in those conservancy social media posts there are a few 'animal lovers' who complain about killing feral cats etc, but the vast majority of comments are supportive of taking actin against feral.
None of which really has anything to do with my original post.
I would personally not use kangaroo skin on my drums. And it was wrong to suggest kangaroos were collected naturally, without having been killed first by mankind.

See, this is why I asked you to drop it. I don’t appreciate being talked down to. Who does? Why don’t you take a hint and walk away from the argument? No good will come of trying to continue the argument. I’m telling you

Anytime any of you preachers wants to go after hand drummers who use natural hide heads, let me know. I’m sure they’d love to be preached at.

See, this is why I asked you to drop it. I don’t appreciate being talked down to. Who does? Why don’t you take a hint and walk away from the argument? No good will come of trying to continue the argument. I’m telling you
With all due respect, I didn't see/sense an example of @Chris Whitten talking down to you in the comment you replied to.

I do see that you are heavily emotionally invested in your point of view (which is perfectly fine), perhaps it would be best if you walked away?

You are the one with the problem. You claimed on page one that the kangaroos died naturally. :oops:
At least post factually.
The debate has continued in a relatively polite and respectful way from both sides. So again, it is only you that has a problem.

You are the one with the problem. You claimed on page one that the kangaroos died naturally. :oops:
At least post factually.
The debate has continued in a relatively polite and respectful way from both sides. So again, it is only you that has a problem.

So I am going to leave the discussion, put you on ignore, and request get you do the same with me. I’m so sorry it’s come to this. Have a nice life.

Australia will be soon be called Toad Island with the Great Camel Desert.
I think you should visit Australia and get a sense of what belongs and what doesn't .. Humans have largely destroyed a great part of an ancient land in a very short period of time.. The arrival of colonists has impacted the landscape in ways that only the last few generations have begun to see the mistakes that were made .. As people begin to understand that reversing some of the practices of the past is the way to go, there is a long way to go.. Ask the Indigenous People of Australia , they know..

Hey guys, I’ve stayed out of this because as I alluded to in my response to @TheJarvis , I get that most of the corpse munchers and hunters of the world will not share my point of view and will misinterpret anything I say as “preaching”. As it happens a couple of guys have made solid representations on both sides of the fence shedding light on the key issues. Look how @TheJarvis responded to my post; complete and utter respect, which is hopefully how he interpreted my response to him whilst expressing an alternative point of view. Getting back to the original video I thought it was well presented and thought provoking despite being at odds with my personal beliefs as a vegan. Life’s too short for falling out over these things. In your core you know what is wrong or right for you. Agree to disagree and play on! (y) :) ✌️🌏

Europeans in their migrations changed all the lands they migrated too (Australia, Africa, India, North and South America, etc)-but to be fair if it wasn't them it would be somebody else. Like the US is nothing like pre-colonization. Mentioned here is the loss of the Great Plains prairie grasses due to John Deere inventing the steel plow so they could plow the deep fertile soils of the tall grasses (that pic with deep roots shows why LOL) then later mechanized farming after WWI and that was the end of the prairies (mostly still some tall grasses and short grass areas)-then growing wheat (rather than corn like natives) it took more land to produce a decent crop. Since farming and drought has depleted parts of Ogallala aquifer (under the Great Plains) the risk of another dust bowl is a real concern. I think it's ironic early colonist thought the prairies desert so kept going west to Oregon, which had less fertile soil. We harvested all the pristine forest in US and sold the wood globally and then often replaced with European species-we Europeanized the US. But before Europeans indigenous natives changed the landscape also-they used fire to burn the grasses to prevent succession with woody plants (the plains offered food in bison and farming grasses and grains), grew specific grasses and grains, etc. Humans have been introducing non-indigenous species for thousands of years-just look how Rome changed the world with plants and animals. There have been trade routes all of recorded history exporting plants, animals, and diseases too. War and slavery all recorded history. Nothing is the same from 60,000 years ago when a warming climate allowed humans to occupy new lands and mold the environment. My understanding of Australia is it has been occupied by humans for 60-80K years but only small populations lived in certain areas along Murray River -so most was pristine with little human intervention? It's a unique ecosystem but also doomed for change because change is inevitable. The US was already occupied and already experienced human intervention-so more intervention was inevitable. It's gene flow-and you can argue yes it may lead to extinction of some species but it can also develop into a new ecosystem (have more genetic potential to address climate changes) and the diversity from gene flow and hybridization can make new species over time. It's what life has done over and over again with big and small extinction events sometimes natural but the last 60k human driven. And yes the humans of today are nothing like 60k ago-we have all kept evolving too. The same gene pool population seeded Europe, China, and North and South America during migration and all evolved with their environments, however gene flow/migration has kept introducing admixtures to all ancestries. Like Haiti has more African ancestry (it still has some admixture) than Africa of today because the huge amount of admixture of other ancestries in all African populations now. It's what humans have always done like an alien species changing an environment to their liking on sci-fi movies. All recorded history humans have waged war against each other, enslaved each other, and migrated to new lands-always in competition, seen as a threat, and bringing their own influence to introduce elsewhere. We still are doing that as 9-14 million people still live in slavery in Africa. (it was legally banned but has never stopped). Heck we are talking about going and doing it to Mars. Poor planet is doomed LOL. Humans are vile creatures-we do a terrible job trying to act otherwise but that isn't our true nature. Blessed be the meek they shall inherit the earth-nope not by a long shot. We go boldly where no man has gone before-and mess it all up. In my best James T, Kirk voice. ROFL.

Europeans in their migrations changed all the lands they migrated too (Australia, Africa, India, North and South America, etc)-but to be fair if it wasn't them it would be somebody else. Like the US is nothing like pre-colonization. Mentioned here is the loss of the Great Plains prairie grasses due to John Deere inventing the steel plow so they could plow the deep fertile soils of the tall grasses (that pic with deep roots shows why LOL) then later mechanized farming after WWI and that was the end of the prairies (mostly still some tall grasses and short grass areas)-then growing wheat (rather than corn like natives) it took more land to produce a decent crop. Since farming and drought has depleted parts of Ogallala aquifer (under the Great Plains) the risk of another dust bowl is a real concern. I think it's ironic early colonist thought the prairies desert so kept going west to Oregon, which had less fertile soil. We harvested all the pristine forest in US and sold the wood globally and then often replaced with European species-we Europeanized the US. But before Europeans indigenous natives changed the landscape also-they used fire to burn the grasses to prevent succession with woody plants (the plains offered food in bison and farming grasses and grains), grew specific grasses and grains, etc. Humans have been introducing non-indigenous species for thousands of years-just look how Rome changed the world with plants and animals. There have been trade routes all of recorded history exporting plants, animals, and diseases too. War and slavery all recorded history. Nothing is the same from 60,000 years ago when a warming climate allowed humans to occupy new lands and mold the environment. My understanding of Australia is it has been occupied by humans for 60-80K years but only small populations lived in certain areas along Murray River -so most was pristine with little human intervention? It's a unique ecosystem but also doomed for change because change is inevitable. The US was already occupied and already experienced human intervention-so more intervention was inevitable. It's gene flow-and you can argue yes it may lead to extinction of some species but it can also develop into a new ecosystem (have more genetic potential to address climate changes) and the diversity from gene flow and hybridization can make new species over time. It's what life has done over and over again with big and small extinction events sometimes natural but the last 60k human driven. And yes the humans of today are nothing like 60k ago-we have all kept evolving too. The same gene pool population seeded Europe, China, and North and South America during migration and all evolved with their environments, however gene flow/migration has kept introducing admixtures to all ancestries. Like Haiti has more African ancestry (it still has some admixture) than Africa of today because the huge amount of admixture of other ancestries in all African populations now. It's what humans have always done like an alien species changing an environment to their liking on sci-fi movies. All recorded history humans have waged war against each other, enslaved each other, and migrated to new lands-always in competition, seen as a threat, and bringing their own influence to introduce elsewhere. We still are doing that as 9-14 million people still live in slavery in Africa. (it was legally banned but has never stopped). Heck we are talking about going and doing it to Mars. Poor planet is doomed LOL. Humans are vile creatures-we do a terrible job trying to act otherwise but that isn't our true nature. Blessed be the meek they shall inherit the earth-nope not by a long shot. We go boldly where no man has gone before-and mess it all up. In my best James T, Kirk voice. ROFL.
I’m just gonna pop on a fresh pot of coffee before I read the full narrative @GetAgrippa !! 😂 (y)

Sorry it just vomits out into a long diatribe as I reflect on all of I’ve read over decades. It has all changed too. But humans are vile creatures- we prove it everyday on here as a microcosm.

Humans are vile creatures-we do a terrible job trying to act otherwise but that isn't our true nature. Blessed be the meek they shall inherit the earth-nope not by a long shot. We go boldly where no man has gone before-and mess it all up.
If that’s not an advert for change I don’t know what is! :unsure: (y) :) Ahhhh, a nice cup of Joe and a @GetAgrippa post to ponder…other than smashing the life out of my Prems, does life get better than this?😂(y)

Europeans in their migrations changed all the lands they migrated too (Australia, Africa, India, North and South America, etc)-but to be fair if it wasn't them it would be somebody else. Like the US is nothing like pre-colonization. Mentioned here is the loss of the Great Plains prairie grasses due to John Deere inventing the steel plow so they could plow the deep fertile soils of the tall grasses (that pic with deep roots shows why LOL) then later mechanized farming after WWI and that was the end of the prairies (mostly still some tall grasses and short grass areas)-then growing wheat (rather than corn like natives) it took more land to produce a decent crop. Since farming and drought has depleted parts of Ogallala aquifer (under the Great Plains) the risk of another dust bowl is a real concern. I think it's ironic early colonist thought the prairies desert so kept going west to Oregon, which had less fertile soil. We harvested all the pristine forest in US and sold the wood globally and then often replaced with European species-we Europeanized the US. But before Europeans indigenous natives changed the landscape also-they used fire to burn the grasses to prevent succession with woody plants (the plains offered food in bison and farming grasses and grains), grew specific grasses and grains, etc. Humans have been introducing non-indigenous species for thousands of years-just look how Rome changed the world with plants and animals.
Word!
Being from the Panhandle of Texas - it is taught to us, that the dustbowl effect of The Great Depression was caused by over farming practices - livelihoods becoming dirt farmers or moving entirely out of the region.

Nebraska-Texas Corridor, East Colorado, NE New Mexico primarily, were under stressful farming practices that exacerbated through industrious attempts.
Now day's you can drive for miles and see maybe a few trees or so.
That is also why you see Russian Thistle or tumbleweeds heavily infesting these areas, they were introduced from Eurasia by flax farmers who migrated to SD, being a hearty weed, eventually with no competitors; they've invasively thrived since...
------------------------------------------------------------

As for the animal hide try, I've never tried, not opposed, but not compelled to go out and try neither -
Somewhere down the line, and even rural parts now, all of our ancestors used skins in someway because it's what they had.

Back